Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..

1 recommendation

reply to hagbard72

Re: Modem security

If you are using a router I am assuming that you have more than one computer connected? If so these are more than likely the devices that are being counted.

Some hardware manufacturer's firmware will list everything as a "device" no matter what it is that is connected.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

You ask

said by Mele20:

Why do you say that?

and then immediately state

said by Mele20:

My ISP tried to get me to use a junk Motorola surfboard modem with router, wifi, and parental stuff, etc on it...

Didn't you prove my point?
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

hagbard72

join:2000-10-02
Kingsville

1 recommendation

reply to Cthen

Well, its now reporting one and I have the same number of devices attached. Something else was going on.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to StuartMW

Maybe...LOL...touche...can't type that correctly...have no idea how to find it in Win 8...the OS from Hell.

BUT Oceanic did that only because they were out of the EXTREMELY POPULAR Surfboard 6141 then. I took the junk back and got a 6141.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

...I don't think most ISP's are giving out combo modems except when they temporarily run out of plain modems.

I disagree.

A "dumb" modem provides next to no protection from nasties on the internet. You'd only have "Windows Firewall" assuming you run WinXP or above. That's the equivalent of leaving all your doors and windows open and your valuables in plain view. Probably not going to end well. ISP's therefore provide their customers with modem/routers (& firewall) to provide minimal protection (most users will never change the password, customize the firewall etc).

ISP's also know that many people have multiple devices these days (PC's, tablets, phones, TV's, etc) and quite often those use Wi-Fi. It therefore makes sense to include that as well.

Additionally many households have children so it also makes sense to include "parental controls" etc.

Finally the technology to do all the above, in a single box, is both possible and relatively inexpensive. In short it makes perfect sense for ISP's to offer an "all-in-one solution" for their customers.
--

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

Maybe...LOL...touche...can't type that correctly...have no idea how to find it in Win 8...the OS from Hell.

BUT Oceanic did that only because they were out of the EXTREMELY POPULAR Surfboard 6141 then. I took the junk back and got a 6141.

Believe it or not, just because you and your ISP in paradise do it one way, that does not mean that most ISPs do it that way. Here on the mainland, many ISPs (both cable and telco based) are indeed pushing modem/router gateway boxes to their customers. In some cases, the customers have no choice (AT&T's U-verse comes to mind), and in some cases the customer can either insist on a standard bridge modem or purchase their own. But the ISPs are indeed pushing combo gateway boxes (which in most cases, the ISP has full control of) to their customers.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -- US Constitution

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. -- Thomas Jefferson

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
reply to hagbard72

said by hagbard72:

Well, its now reporting one and I have the same number of devices attached. Something else was going on.

If the symptom returns, how about posting a screen shot of the modem status page, and also either a detailed description of what is connected to what (and how it is connected), or a simple diagram showing that information.

I know that when I was using a SamKnows monitoring box, and when I used a managed switch directly behind my cable modem, the cable modem would sometimes see the MAC addresses of those "passive" devices and display them as connected devices on its status page. I suspect that something similar is what happened in your case, but unless we know exactly what is physically connected to what, any remote diagnosis is going to be just a wild guess.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -- US Constitution

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. -- Thomas Jefferson

hagbard72

Kingsville
reply to hagbard72

I'll do that but so far its holding at one. The devices that are attached to the router are a computer and a switch. Attached to the switch is a TV and a Bluray player. Everything else is wireless.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by hagbard72:

I'll do that but so far its holding at one. The devices that are attached to the router are a computer and a switch. Attached to the switch is a TV and a Bluray player. Everything else is wireless.

What is needed for proper diagnosis is what is physically attached to the modem. The modem should not be able to see anything on the LAN side of a router if the only thing that is attached to the modem is a router's WAN interface. Unless the router involved is seriously mis-configured (or just plain defective), the modem should not be able to see the MAC address(es) of any device on the router's LAN (and MAC addresses are what a cable modem looks for to determine what devices are attached).

Shown below is a redacted screen shot of my modem's device status page:

My cable modem shows five MAC addresses because I have five devices with visible MAC addresses connected to the modem. Shown below is a diagram that shows that interconnection (the five devices are the Netgear router, the D-Link router, the Linksys router, and the WAN interfaces of my two server boxes):

For a while, I used a VLAN segment on my Netgear GS108E (managed) switch directly behind my cable modem, but I had to stop doing that and replace it with a non-managed ZyXEL GS105S switch because the cable modem would randomly detect the GS108E's MAC address, and that would prevent some other device from getting internet access (I only pay my ISP for five IP addreses, and they consider that each visible MAC address equates to an IP address whether it really does or not).
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by NetFixer:

What is needed for proper diagnosis is what is physically attached to the modem.

Already stated.

said by StuartMW:

I assume your modem only has one RJ-45 (ethernet) connector on it and that's going to your router.

»Re: Modem security

said by hagbard72:

That's correct.

In other words. One connection from the modem to router and multple devices behind the router.

--

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit

said by StuartMW:

said by NetFixer:

What is needed for proper diagnosis is what is physically attached to the modem.

Already stated.

said by StuartMW:

I assume your modem only has one RJ-45 (ethernet) connector on it and that's going to your router.

said by hagbard72:

That's correct.

In other words. One connection from the modem to router and multple devices behind the router.

None of that says that only the router's WAN interface is connected to the modem. When one has done tech support for many years, one learns to not assume anything. Believe me, I have run into many cases where a customer had a router's LAN interface connected to the modem (even though that was not the intention). If the OP's ISP allows multiple devices to obtain IP addresses from the ISP's DHCP server (as mine does), what you describe above could still work if the router's LAN interface were connected to the modem instead of the router's WAN interface (and that could explain multiple devices being visible on the modem's status page).
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by NetFixer:

None of that says that only the router's WAN interface is connected to the modem.

Ok then. I'll leave that for others to decide. I asked the question and IMO the OP gave the answer. If one of the routers LAN ports (instead of the WAN) was connected to the modem that'd explain a lot.
--

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit

said by StuartMW:

said by NetFixer:

None of that says that only the router's WAN interface is connected to the modem.

Ok then. I'll leave that for others to decide. I asked the question and IMO the OP gave the answer.

You asked a question; you did not ask the definitive question, and you did not get the definitive answer. Asking the definitive question(s) and getting the definitive answer(s) can make the difference between a minimum bill and a quick email/phone fix, or a big bill for the customer, and a long drive for the tech when you do network troubleshooting for a living.
--

hagbard72

Kingsville
reply to hagbard72

Showing two devices now. Last time I got a device identifying itself as UNKNOWN, I blocked its mac address. Now I have another UNKNOWN (same time as the modem registered two devices) and I've now blocked it.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit

said by hagbard72:

Showing two devices now. Last time I got a device identifying itself as UNKNOWN, I blocked its mac address. Now I have another UNKNOWN (same time as the modem registered two devices) and I've now blocked it.

The question of exactly where you see the additional devices still remains (at least in my mind). Are you seeing them in the modem's status page, in a router status page, or are you using a utility on a PC to see these devices? Also, since you know the MAC addresses, you can look them up online ( »aruljohn.com/mac.pl is one such place) and that could provide a clue as to their source.

And where exactly are you blocking those MAC addresses? Does your modem actually have that capability?
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to hagbard72

Ok, let me ask the question the way NetFixer See Profile wants.

You have one RJ-45 connector on your modem and one CAT5 cable from it to your router. Is the cable going into an RJ-45 labelled "WAN" on your router? It should not be plugged into a router LAN port. That would effectively make your router a switch.

Also did you change anything? For example turn your TV/Blu-Ray player on or a wireless device?
--

hagbard72

Kingsville
reply to NetFixer

I'm seeing the two devices on the modem diagnostics page. I'm blocking the UNKNOWN on the router.

hagbard72

Kingsville
reply to StuartMW

Yes, things are properly plugged in, modem to router's WAN port. Nothing else is connected to the modem.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to hagbard72

Ok. Is the modem showing their MAC addresses? If so I'd try and figure out if any of your devices have those MAC addresses.

I keep a text file that contains the MAC addresses of all my devices. Comes in handy for things like this.
--

hagbard72

Kingsville

No, it doesn't. But the UNKNOWN devices have these addresses according to the router:

00:25:71:01:D1:7F

00:90:A2:8E:36:AA

But they could just be some computer or phone that I'm not aware of.

hagbard72

Kingsville
reply to hagbard72

I'm considering swapping the router out for my old wrt56g with tomato on it.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to hagbard72

Is this a cable modem or DSL? I'm wondering if the modem is seeing something on the ISP's side.

If it's cable (shared) you might be seeing another customers (who's using a switch rather than a router) devices when they turn them on.
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to hagbard72

said by hagbard72:

Ok this is a Zhejiang Tianle Digital Electric Co.,Ltd - China (Zhejiang) MAC. They make TV's, Blu-Ray players etc.

»www.hktdc.com/manufacturers-supp···X05V1V2/

said by hagbard72:

This belongs to CyberTAN Technology.

»www.cybertan.com.tw/
--

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

2 edits
reply to hagbard72

said by hagbard72:

No, it doesn't. But the UNKNOWN devices have these addresses according to the router:

But they could just be some computer or phone that I'm not aware of.

The first belongs to Zhejiang Tianle Digital Electric Co.,Ltd and they appear to be primarily a TV manufacturer.

The second belongs to CYBERTAN TECHNOLOGY, INC. and they appear to be a somewhat generic manufacturer of phones, game devices and multimedia devices.

I think that you mentioned having an attached TV and an attached Blu-Ray player?

Out of curiosity, does your PC have a public IP address or a private IP address? If the PC runs Windows, open a command prompt and enter the command ipconfig /all. If you use a *nix OS (including OS X), open a terminal window and issue the command ifconfig. The command arp -a should also provide a list of recent active and connected devices with both their IP addresses and MAC addresses. The command netstat -r will also tell us something about your network architecture that might help with a diagnosis.
--

hagbard72

Kingsville
reply to hagbard72

Ran ipconfig /all, what am I looking for? BTW, I just switched out routers to my old wrt56g. When I called my ISP they said there was "nothing to worry about" regarding the additional devices showing up but did say I was having dropped packets. I pinged the ISP and it was up around 300ms. That's what prompted me to switch out routers. Didn't make any difference. The only thing that improved the ping rate was connecting directly to the computer.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by hagbard72:

Ran ipconfig /all, what am I looking for? BTW, I just switched out routers to my old wrt56g. When I called my ISP they said there was "nothing to worry about" regarding the additional devices showing up but did say I was having dropped packets. I pinged the ISP and it was up around 300ms. That's what prompted me to switch out routers. Didn't make any difference. The only thing that improved the ping rate was connecting directly to the computer.

You might get your questions answered more quickly if you just supplied the requested information instead of trying to filter information when you don't know what you are looking at.

Just to show that posting the information I requested is "safe", I will show you below the information I requested taken from my Windows server. I chose my Windows server because it has both public and private information, so that if you want to try to interpret the difference and filter your results, you can do so. However, if you filter too much, you might as well not bother since the information won't be very useful. I have edited the results to mask the last three segments of the MAC address using "-**-**-**" for directly attached devices (that is really the only thing that someone using your ISP could use to cause you problems, and even that is very unlikely).

C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : dcs-srv
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : dcs-net
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : dcs-net
                                       dcs-net.net
                                       dyndns-ip.com

PPP adapter RAS Server (Dial In) Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.9.208
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : hsd1.tn.comcast.net.
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel 21143-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (Generic)
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-40-F4-**-**-**
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 174.49.12.155
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 174.49.8.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 69.252.196.197
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.9.2
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 02, 2013 12:37:37
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 06, 2013 12:37:37

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : dcs-net
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR GA311 Gigabit Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : E0-91-F5-95-BE-AC
   IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.9.2
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 2601:5:c80:91:e291:f5ff:fe95:beac
   IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::e291:f5ff:fe95:beac%4
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::1e7e:e5ff:fe4c:e6ff%4
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.9.2
                                       fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
                                       fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
                                       fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
   IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::ffff:ffff:fffd%5

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-A8-09-D0
   IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.9.208%2
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : dcs-net
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-A8-09-02
   IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.9.2%2

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : hsd1.tn.comcast.net.
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : AE-31-0C-9B
   IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:174.49.12.155%2

C:\>arp -a

Interface: 174.49.12.155 --- 0x10003
  Internet Address      Physical Address      Type
  174.49.8.1            00-01-5c-3c-f4-41     dynamic
  174.49.10.238         00-1e-90-**-**-**     dynamic

Interface: 192.168.9.2 --- 0x10004
  Internet Address      Physical Address      Type
  192.168.9.3           e0-91-f5-95-a8-79     dynamic
  192.168.9.16          00-17-a4-e3-e7-cf     dynamic
  192.168.9.64          00-22-68-59-40-0c     dynamic
  192.168.9.100         e0-91-f5-95-b6-9d     dynamic
  192.168.9.254         1c-7e-e5-4c-e6-ff     dynamic

C:\>netstat -r

IPv4 Route Table
===========================================================================
Interface List
0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface
0x10002 ...00 53 45 00 00 00 ...... WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
0x10003 ...00 40 f4 2a 31 1e ...... Intel 21143-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (Generic)
0x10004 ...e0 91 f5 95 be ac ...... NETGEAR GA311 Gigabit Adapter
Active Routes:
Network Destination        Netmask          Gateway       Interface  Metric
          0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0       174.49.8.1    174.49.12.155     30
        127.0.0.0        255.0.0.0        127.0.0.1        127.0.0.1      1
       174.49.8.0    255.255.248.0    174.49.12.155    174.49.12.155     30
    174.49.12.155  255.255.255.255        127.0.0.1        127.0.0.1     30
   174.49.255.255  255.255.255.255    174.49.12.155    174.49.12.155     30
    192.168.1.248  255.255.255.248      192.168.9.9      192.168.9.2      6
    192.168.8.248  255.255.255.248      192.168.9.9      192.168.9.2      4
      192.168.9.0    255.255.255.0      192.168.9.2      192.168.9.2     10
      192.168.9.2  255.255.255.255        127.0.0.1        127.0.0.1     10
    192.168.9.208  255.255.255.255        127.0.0.1        127.0.0.1     50
    192.168.9.255  255.255.255.255      192.168.9.2      192.168.9.2     10
    216.146.35.35  255.255.255.255    192.168.9.254      192.168.9.2      8
    216.146.36.36  255.255.255.255    192.168.9.254      192.168.9.2      8
        224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0    174.49.12.155    174.49.12.155     30
        224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0      192.168.9.2      192.168.9.2     10
  255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255    174.49.12.155    174.49.12.155      1
  255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255      192.168.9.2      192.168.9.2      1
Default Gateway:        174.49.8.1
Persistent Routes:
  Network Address          Netmask  Gateway Address  Metric
    192.168.8.248  255.255.255.248      192.168.9.9       4
    192.168.1.248  255.255.255.248      192.168.9.9       6
    216.146.35.35  255.255.255.255    192.168.9.254       8
    216.146.36.36  255.255.255.255    192.168.9.254       8

IPv6 Route Table
Interface List
  5 ...ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff  Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
  4 ...e0 91 f5 95 be ac ...... NETGEAR GA311 Gigabit Adapter
  3 ...e0 91 f5 95 ............ 6to4 Pseudo-Interface
  2 ...c0 a8 09 d0 ............ Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
  2 ...c0 a8 09 02 ............ Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
  2 ...ae 31 0c 9b ............ Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
  1 ........................... Loopback Pseudo-Interface
Active Routes:
 If Metric Network Destination      Gateway
  4   1016 2601:5:c80:90::/60       fe80::1e7e:e5ff:fe4c:e6ff
  4   1256 ::/0                     fe80::1e7e:e5ff:fe4c:e6ff
  2   1004 fe80::5efe:192.168.9.208/128
                                    fe80::5efe:192.168.9.208
  4   1004 2601:5:c80:91:e291:f5ff:fe95:beac/128
                                    2601:5:c80:91:e291:f5ff:fe95:beac
  4   1008 2601:5:c80:91::/64       On-link
  2   1004 fe80::5efe:192.168.9.2/128
                                    fe80::5efe:192.168.9.2
  2   1004 fe80::5efe:174.49.12.155/128
                                    fe80::5efe:174.49.12.155
  5   1004 fe80::ffff:ffff:fffd/128 fe80::ffff:ffff:fffd
  4   1008 ff00::/8                 On-link
  4   1004 fe80::e291:f5ff:fe95:beac/128
                                    fe80::e291:f5ff:fe95:beac
  1   1004 ::1/128                  ::1
  1   1008 ff00::/8                 On-link
  1   1004 fe80::1/128              fe80::1
Persistent Routes:
  None

To make your posted information display properly, you may need to put the information between "code" brackets as shown below:
[code]
Put whatever you need to post
between the two "code" brackets
[/code]

If you post the requested information, I can look at it and tell you if there is anything that would help to explain the symptoms you are seeing. However, it would help if the symptoms were present before you bother to post it. OTOH, it would not hurt to save the information if you do it while the symptoms are not present, and then compare the results to when the symptoms are present.

--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

hagbard72

Kingsville

4 edits
reply to hagbard72

No offence, but you didn't actually ask me to post the results. I thought you thought I'd know what I was seeing and go from there. I'll run it again and post it.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
reply to hagbard72

May I assume that the previously posted (but now deleted) "ipconfig /all" information is using the second router, and also that you are not at this time seeing the mysterious devices?

If so, if/when you see the symptoms again, do the "ipconfig /all" again and also the "arp -a" command (if the problem returns, that arp information can be helpful, and it would be helpful to also have that information saved from when you were not seeing the mystery devices).

One thing that is already helpful is knowing that your PC is connected using WiFi instead of via a direct ethernet cable connection (that could explain why your connection was better when connecting the PC directly to the modem):
" I pinged the ISP and it was up around 300ms. That's what prompted me to switch out routers. Didn't make any difference. The only thing that improved the ping rate was connecting directly to the computer."
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

hagbard72

Kingsville

Ping tests were all done with direct (not wifi) connection. When doing the testing, at the end, I reset the modem so yes, only one device is showing now. I'll rerun the above if more devices show up again, should I post the results then?

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by hagbard72:

Ping tests were all done with direct (not wifi) connection. When doing the testing, at the end, I reset the modem so yes, only one device is showing now. I'll rerun the above, should I post the results then?

If the "ipconfig /all" and "netstat -r" did not change, then you could probably just note that. The "arp -a" results could definitely be helpful (both before and after).
--