uniqs

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to ropeguru

Premium Member

to ropeguru

Re: Why is neutral conncted to ground in the fuse box/panel?

said by ropeguru:

said by davidg:

sorry, but asking questions on a forum is not the PROPER way to learn about electrical. you will get such wide response(most of them completely wrong) that it will only serve to confuse and endanger someone. If he really wants to learn, and i hope he does, then the better method is to get someone that knows to teach him. there are also some basic electrical books available fairly cheap that will give someone the very basic understanding they need to do minor home electrical work.

i never said NOT to ask, just to not do anything in the panel until he learned more. a live panel is not the place for someone that has no basic knowledge, you can and will get hurt quickly.

Then maybe we should just close this forum with comments and beliefs like this.

He's talking about electrical that is lethal unless handled properly. You can see from the many varied and mostly wrong advice that this is a problem. Someone working with electrical should have a basic knowledge of it especially the NEC.

nunya and whizkid are two very good sources for accurate info. Keep that in mind.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

2 recommendations

ropeguru

Premium Member

Jack, I agree with you about who should be listened to. But the OP only asked a question about if what he saw was correct or not. Nowhere did the OP say ANYTHING about making changes.

davidg See Profile had to jump in with no help at all saying the OP should not even be removing the cover. Well, that is the time I EXPECT people to ask questions and that is what the forum is here for. I also agree that code books and other forms of education are probably better than here, except in the case of whiz and nunya answering specific questions.

It is davidg See Profile who is in the wrong here stating what he did. The posts that garys_2k See Profile and mattmag See Profile are right on in my opinion. If I open something up and am not sure what it is I am seeing, I am going to ask a question. I would hope folks here would at least be a little more hospitable and at the very least just point me in the right direction to learn. Not the smartass comment he made.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg

MVM

i said if he does not know the answer to a very basic electrical question then he has no business in the panel UNTIL HE LEARNS. you don't learn by poking around in a live panel. whether you feel that way or not, it does not make my posting a warning to him wrong.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

ropeguru

Premium Member

said by davidg:

i said if he does not know the answer to a very basic electrical question then he has no business in the panel UNTIL HE LEARNS. you don't learn by poking around in a live panel. whether you feel that way or not, it does not make my posting a warning to him wrong.

This is my last reply on this.

Where did he say he was POKING around in the panel? His statement was that he removed the panel and found the ground connected to the neutral. I can see that clearly without poking around in my panel.

So riddle me this, do you go and find a book and read up on everything before you ever remove a cover? I doubt it..

Also, just a little more respect in the WAY you reply would have averted all this.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg

MVM

in many panels an uneducated eye is not going to catch a N-G connection without really looking. in a panel where they are both on the same block it is obvious, but in a large number of panels they are on seperate blocks and you have to notice the bonding screw to see it.

as far as how i answered, i was more respectful than you have been. ever hear of someone posting from a tablet, i dunno about you but when i do my posts are brief.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

3 recommendations

garys_2k

Premium Member

He just asked a simple question, it wasn't like he said "Hey guys, I want to entirely rewire my house. I'm almost done and now I have some questions." He noticed something "in the place I currently live" that was puzzling and he asked about it. He wasn't unfamiliar with wiring and from his POV that bonding didn't seem "right." At no time did he say he was going to mess with it, change it or try to "fix" it.

He asked a simple question. Hollering about somehow not being qualified to open the panel was over the top -- as if someone asking why the occasional word is spelled with "i" after "e" shouldn't be allowed to write.