donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

LCBO to open "Express Kiosks" in ON grocery stores

»www.thestar.com/news/can ··· rmarkets

So small LCBOs with the top selling items in grocery stores.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Re: LCBO to open "Express Kiosks" in ON grocery stores

Nice shot across Tea Party Tim's bow .

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

Yep. Partially gives what he wants and keeps the LCBO. Seems win win. The grocery stores do not make profits on liquor, but they do on renting the space.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
Too little too late.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by Gone:

Too little too late.

This is the government, it has probably been in planning for 10 years

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

The wine and beer market should have been opened up decades ago. It was one one of the campaign planks of David Peterson for Christ's sake!

The Soon-to-no-longer-be-McGuinty Liberals know that people want this, but can't do it the way it should be done without losing face to the Tories. As a result, we end up with half-assed efforts like this.

I have no issue with hard liquor remaining the realm of the LCBO, but monopolizing wine and beer through them was bloody ridiculous back in the 80s, let alone today.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
Yes, normally he has his own canons pointed direct at his own ship.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
The problem is politically agnostic, the moral minority will make enough noise that the politicos will back down.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

The problem is politically agnostic, the moral minority will make enough noise that the politicos will back down.

I'm sure DKS will say something different, but the position of the moral minority on this issue is contrary to the majority public opinion when it comes to removing the LCBO's monopoly on wine and beer. We're still living in the puritanical dark ages and in a league shared with US states like Utah - yes, Utah - on this issue.

Outright privatizing the LCBO is another matter entirely. Most people have a cloudier and harder to define opinion of that, and most US states operate either government-owned stores for hard liquor or operate a government-owned distributor as they end up being a cash cow for the government. Keeping the LCBO for hard liquor would be within the realm of normal as far as North America goes. Wine and beer is not.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by Gone:

said by elwoodblues:

I'm sure DKS will say something different, but the position of the moral minority on this issue is contrary to the majority public opinion when it comes to removing the LCBO's monopoly on wine and beer. We're still living in the puritanical dark ages and in a league shared with US states like Utah - yes, Utah - on this issue.

But that's the rub, you and I agree that there should be change, and really don't say much else. Those who disagree are the most vocal and create enough noise to scare off the most politically astute from doing so.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

I disagree. There are already wine stores in grocery stores. This is just competition. The difference will be that hard liquor and beer will also be sold in those stores, which is identical to LCBO Agency stores (which are mini-LCBO's in convenience stores).
DKS

DKS to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by elwoodblues:

This isn't a matter which should be decidied by popular opinion. It's a matter of public health, public policy and taxation and should be decided as such.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by DKS:

This isn't a matter which should be decidied by popular opinion. It's a matter of public health, public policy and taxation and should be decided as such.

Public policy and taxation is determined by the the public at large that elects our leadership. This is an issue that the public at large are widely in favour of, and therefore public policy should reflect the will of that public.

As for the health claims, that's a straw argument. An alcoholic on a bender can get beer just as easily now from The Beer Store as they could from anywhere else selling it. The only difference now is that one company has a legally-granted monopoly to sell that beer on behalf of the LCBO. Whether they get that beer from The Beer Store or Sobeys is irrelevant.

For what it's worth, and as I said earlier, I do not believe that hard liquor should be sold anywhere but in the LCBO we have right now. Hard liquor is the biggest concern when it comes to taxation and the health issues you mentioned earlier. Keeping those sales at the LCBO is consistent with the way most other jurisdictions operate throughout North America. We have the LC in Canada, they have the ABC in the US.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by Gone:

said by DKS:

Public policy and taxation is determined by the the public at large that elects our leadership.

Um... no, they aren't. Health matters are decided on the basis of evidence. And in case your momma never told you, alcohol is bad for your health.

As for the health claims, that's a straw argument.

Not at all. The cost of alcohol to the health care system is astronomical.

An alcoholic on a bender can get beer just as easily now from The Beer Store as they could from anywhere else selling it.

That is an access issue, not a health care policy issue.

Wolfie007
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie007 to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
The article says they will start with a pilot project in 10 grocery stores located in areas "underserviced" by the LCBO. While it may be a good idea in principle, I doubt I'll see them any time soon as any of the half-dozen grocery stores I might go to these days are at most within a few blocks of an LCBO, if not a few feet.

The humorous part is how the province still tries to engage in the incredible hypocrisy of pretending that the LCBO is about preventing alcohol abuse. There are so many of them around that I can't think of where these "underserviced" areas are, unless the LCBO considers a block or two to be too much of a challenge for the busy alcoholic in a hurry! Maybe in pursuit of their awesome mission of "social responsibility", the new kiosks will be open 24/7, since 10am to 10pm 7 days a week still leaves too much money on the table!

To be clear, my only problem with any of this is the utter hypocrisy used to justify the government monopoly and its pricing structure.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to donoreo

to donoreo
Ontario is finally catching up to Quebec?

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur to Wolfie007

Premium Member

to Wolfie007
Agreed. The LCBO is trying to sell as much as it can, complete with its own marketing director. The more it sells, the more revenue for the government.

Apparently, only government employees have the intelligence to verify someone's ID.

Where are the government-run cigarette stores?

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
"no! no! please keep us in power!! Here's a press release to keep you happy!"

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to digitalfutur

to digitalfutur
said by digitalfutur:

The government would not be caught dead doing this.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by Last Parade:

said by digitalfutur:

The government would not be caught dead doing this.

That is an idea, have to buy your smokes from LCBO

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

Um... no, they aren't. Health matters are decided on the basis of evidence. And in case your momma never told you, alcohol is bad for your health.

You said three things - public health, public policy and taxation. You are now arguing only one of those issues - the health aspect - but not the other two, but bringing the the condescension that goes with having the upper hand in an argument when you do not. Are you admitting your claims about public policy and taxation were made in error and your only real argument is health?
said by DKS:

And, as I'm sure any reasonable adult never needed their momma to tell them, the location where someone obtains their beer doesn't change the impact it has on their health.

So what's your argument again?
Gone

Gone to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

If this was an issue of public policy, taxation and health care policy like some others here have claimed, that is *exactly* what should and would be done.

But it's not, and it never has been. Ad Wolfie so eloquently put, nothing but hypocrisy.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by DKS:

You said three things - public health, public policy and taxation. You are now arguing only one of those issues - the health aspect - but not the other two, but bringing the the condescension that goes with having the upper hand in an argument when you do not. Are you admitting your claims about public policy and taxation were made in error and your only real argument is health?

Not at all. Taxation and public policy are legislative matters. But you conveniently forget the negative health impact of alcohol, in your perverse argument to turn this province back a hundred years.

said by DKS:

And, as I'm sure any reasonable adult never needed their momma to tell them, the location where someone obtains their beer doesn't change the impact it has on their health.

So what's your argument again?

You were the one attempting to make the point. I have nothing to prove. Increased access = increased consumption, with consequent negative health and social effects.
DKS

DKS to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by donoreo:

If this was an issue of public policy, taxation and health care policy like some others here have claimed, that is *exactly* what should and would be done.

Which is why health units are responsible for enforcement of laws making selling tobacco to minors illegal.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by DKS:

Public policy and taxation is determined by the the public at large that elects our leadership. This is an issue that the public at large are widely in favour of, and therefore public policy should reflect the will of that public.

Successive governments have been elected by public opinion and and the public at large and yet here we are.

Seems once in power governments can make responsible decisions on what's best for you. Live with it.

Wolfie007
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie007 to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

Increased access = increased consumption, with consequent negative health and social effects.

That must be why the LCBO has 844 stores and agency stores across Ontario, most open until 10 PM nightly, and is now proposing to open grocery store outlets in addition.

In their continuing marketing blitz including advertising and expensive glossy magazines, last year they offered 29,046 free product tastings to encourage consumption.

Some of this might be explained by the fact that the LCBO runs a profit margin of more than 50%, and over the past decade provided the Ontario government with almost $13 billion in windfall profit.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

Not at all. Taxation and public policy are legislative matters. But you conveniently forget the negative health impact of alcohol, in your perverse argument to turn this province back a hundred years.

"Turn back" ? Hah! Thanks for the laugh. The reality is that we're already living 100 years in the past when it comes to alcohol policy in this province.
said by DKS:

You were the one attempting to make the point. I have nothing to prove. Increased access = increased consumption, with consequent negative health and social effects.

Again, another straw argument. These kinds of arguments are made on numerous issues as a way to try and deflect the argument, but they are rarely based in any sort of reality or fact. Increased access would not result in increased consumption - the people who want beer can already get it. They're even encouraged to get it. Hell, it wouldn't even necessarily result in lower prices due to legislated minimum prices on alcohol. It would, however, result in increased customer satisfaction and choice.

If you are concerned about access to minors, I would recommend paying a visit to Niagara Falls, NY or Buffalo and try to buy beer at Tops or Wegmans. Be sure to bring your ID with you, because even with your older-than-dirt face they'll still verify your age with ID.
Gone

Gone to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

Which is why health units are responsible for enforcement of laws making selling tobacco to minors illegal.

So you're saying you would be okay with downloading the regulation of the sale of alcohol to the local level and allowing the health units of individual upper-tier and single-tier municipalities to determine their own policy with regards to where alcohol is sold and how it is sold?
Gone

Gone to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

Successive governments have been elected by public opinion and and the public at large and yet here we are.
Seems once in power governments can make responsible decisions on what's best for you. Live with it.

That, or they've just been liars for the past 25 years.

Mark
I stand with my feet
join:2009-07-11
Canada

Mark to donoreo

to donoreo
And yet nothing about the beer store monopoly. Our entire alcohol distribution and retail environment is nothing short of a farce.

And lol at the Finance Minister calling out the official opposition, whose quite right and popular position forced this baby step by our current Nanny statists.