dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5
reply to grohgreg

Re: [HN9000] Something on new computer is draining my bandwidth

said by grohgreg:

That was just a followup graphic to help turning the BITS service off so it wouldn't come back with each Windows restart.

//greg//

OK, I can understand that, but I think it is a bad idea to turn that service off completely, even if there wasn't the ability to use the register to control it. Out-of-sight, out-of-mind; there are occasionally updates that are truly critical that a user with disabled BITS would not hear about.
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: .74 meter G74 on 127W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool

One More Too

join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL

said by dbirdman:

said by grohgreg:

That was just a followup graphic to help turning the BITS service off so it wouldn't come back with each Windows restart.

//greg//

OK, I can understand that, but I think it is a bad idea to turn that service off completely, even if there wasn't the ability to use the register to control it. Out-of-sight, out-of-mind; there are occasionally updates that are truly critical that a user with disabled BITS would not hear about.

As I said in a previous post, I agree that it is not wise to disable BITS. I believe that the Windows default setting for this service is "manual". If you have Windows Update set with the "check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" option, BITS will, I believe, be manually turned on when you decide to download and install the updates.

Also note that, unless you have User Account Control Settings turned off, you will receive a warning notice when you select "check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" for your Windows Update setting. User Account Control is turned on by default in some versions of Windows, including Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, and Home Premium, and it is turned off by default in other versions, including Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate.

Also, as an aside, for those interested in making more efficient use of their computer's resources, there are very useful recommendations here with regard to which services can safely be disabled, set to manual, etc.
»www.blackviper.com/