Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Cody0

Premium Member

to Cody0

Re: Spec'ing out an iMac for my brother

I have had no issues really with Gskill in my intel based Windows machine. 32gb of it and I can push the RAM hard with the program Blender and fluid sims.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

1 edit

skeechan

Premium Member

Who fabs the chips for GSkill? I never knew who made the Corsairs I used, they were silkscreened Corsair.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right

said by skeechan:

Who fabs the chips for GSkill? I never knew who made the Corsairs I used, they were silkscreened Corsair.

Usually Hynix or Elpida, maybe Micron. Hence my comment. Keep in mind Samsung & Hynix manufactures memory while Corsair purchases memory from a supplier, dresses it up and rebrands it.
I'm not saying that makes it worse in any way, just food for thought.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Seems Macs like very particular timings and need SPD tables that are accurate and complete. Perhaps not all sticks are such.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right

When I got my memory from Fry's, I had went to OWC (I feel kinda bad for doing this) and used their information on timing, voltage, ECC, and such. Then matched it to the Patriot memory on Sale at Fry's. I ended up with 16GB's for $65 vs $120 at OWC. I do feel bad for kinda using OWC's services without making a purchase (like using the bathroom at gas station without buying anything), but almost 50% off was too much of a discount for me to pass up. The memory has passed Mem test without fail, and has worked flawlessly for two months now.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Fry's has started to suck like Woot. I long for the Charlie Chip days of the mid-late 90's when the Fry-day ad was something to behold and Memorial Day was epic.