All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

kvn864
join:2001-12-18
Sun City, AZ

kvn864 to pandora

to pandora

Re: Do high end custom PC's have a future?

I wonder sometimes what would be a percentage of those geeks like people reading this post, wanting 400 dollars video cards in their computers, compared to all PC users. Dedicated graphics will always be present, because no integrated video will satisfy someone who wants solid 3d gaming (and otherwise) performance. I think there will always be market for high power GPUs.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

said by kvn864:

I wonder sometimes what would be a percentage of those geeks like people reading this post, wanting 400 dollars video cards in their computers, compared to all PC users. Dedicated graphics will always be present, because no integrated video will satisfy someone who wants solid 3d gaming (and otherwise) performance. I think there will always be market for high power GPUs.

Most on this forum understand the value of expensive video cards, decent motherboard, and what not. Many in the public do not. I was reading this article - »www.eetimes.com/electron ··· -end-PCs

Top-end systems, priced at $1,000 and up, will account for only 6 percent of the PC market in 2012, according to an IHS report. So-called "performance" systems are expected to account for 6 percent of desktop PCs sold this year and 9 percent of notebooks, according to the firm.

IF as the article indicates we are only 6% of the desktop market, is it viable for not so much for companies like Newegg to market to us, but for AMD or Nvidia to care about us?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

yada yada yada Apple is only 9% of the PC market share, BMW is only 4% of the car market share.

Whatever. They cater to the elite few, and they like it, and they make a killing doing so. It's lucrative. I don't share EE Time's doom and gloom prognosis--sounds like the "PC gaming is dead!" bell that has been rung far too many times.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

Whatever. They cater to the elite few, and they like it, and they make a killing doing so. It's lucrative.

9.5 Billion dollar's worth of lucrative in 2009.

»www.guru3d.com/news_stor ··· ket.html

One can only assume it's grown from there.
PinkyThePig
Premium Member
join:2011-05-02
Tempe, AZ

PinkyThePig to pandora

Premium Member

to pandora
I even question the need for a 1k system. I built a system for 700 and it runs everything on high/ultra WITH a second screen that has all sort of youtube/internet forums open. I wouldnt even know what I'd buy component wise for 1k+ without being super wasteful / indulgent. At that price level I could probably run a raid setup or get liquid cooling but I have no need for such a setup as my computer, with an SSD, already loads faster in multiplayer than everyone else and the computer boots in 14 seconds.

The reason only 6% of the market buys a 1k+ system is because that is in the range of being super indulgent and getting triple monitors, liquid cooling or RAID hard drives, something the normal market trys to stay away from.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Maaaan, I could break $500 with just storage. 512 GB Vector SSD + 2 TB Caviar Black. $750 right there. OK, OK. Knock the SSD down to 256 GB, much more sensible. Still $450 for your storage.

I am doing a complete rebuild minus the GPU/peripherals/monitors this spring (still have a rather new Vapor-X 7970). My wallet is going to cry afterwards.

I'll probably be around $1000-1200 without the GPU. If I add a second 7970, that's another ~$450.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to PinkyThePig

Premium Member

to PinkyThePig
High/Utlra? So are you rating a gaming system based on the performance of wow? If so you're the one fooling yourself. Wow will run on a onboard gpu, and it's requirements are very tame compared to other games so any decent card will run wow with high/ultra settings.

People used to say that console gaming would kill computer gaming, and that hasn't been true either. Many popular titles come out for xbox, ps3, and pc. Some games remain pc only for the sheer complexity of their controls.

1k is a good average gaming build where you spend most of your money on the processor, and video card, which is how it should be.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

said by Krisnatharok:

Whatever. They cater to the elite few, and they like it, and they make a killing doing so. It's lucrative.

9.5 Billion dollar's worth of lucrative in 2009.

»www.guru3d.com/news_stor ··· ket.html

One can only assume it's grown from there.

My god...10 billion dollar industry. Yeah it's definitely dwindling down to nothing, lol.

Guess I better sell my PC and buy a console before I'm the only one left playing PC games.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212 to PinkyThePig

to PinkyThePig
A second video card, or a dedicated physx card if you use amd, aftermarket/better aftermarket cpu coolers, aftermarket gpu coolers, liquid cooling, an ssd for a boot drive, two ssds in raid 0 for boot drives, 4(at least 2 TB) wd red/hatachi deskstar/wd re4 drives in a raid 10 for back up, high intel extreme i7(dat 6 core and 12 threads that can still overclock like a boss), really high end motherboards with 2 cpu slots, 2 i7(possibly xeon if you want to go that way) for said dual cpu motherboard, 64GB+ ram, multiple 1440p/1600p monitors, multiple 120hz/ips monitors, multiple 3D monitors, ect.

Yes I realize that stuff is way more than $1000(and one heck of a bad sentence structure), but there exist people who want that extra stuff, and people who need it even.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Who does dedicated PhysX cards anymore?

FizzyMyNizzy
join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy

said by Krisnatharok:

Well, some people that buy AMD card, also use a nvidia card just for physX. lol

kvn864
join:2001-12-18
Sun City, AZ

kvn864 to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

I was wondering myself when this came out. How many games and other technologies are still actually support it? kinda thought it wasn't going far from the beginning.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO

me1212 to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
People who bought nvidia last time, and got a new amd gpu and didn't get rid of the old nvidia.

Sure not many, but hey all I listed were stuff that one could put in a build thats >$1000.

FizzyMyNizzy
join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy to kvn864

to kvn864
said by kvn864:

said by Krisnatharok:

I was wondering myself when this came out. How many games and other technologies are still actually support it? kinda thought it wasn't going far from the beginning.

List of games that use PhysX »developer.nvidia.com/physx-games

Dont for get game engine like Havok use their own Physic, and is not by Nvidia PhysX marketing. »www.havok.com/ Do you remember which MMO that came out not to long ago that use Havok? Guild Wars 2. Yea, if you were wondering why people say that game is CPU hungry. Because it was using Havok Engine. Oh oh oh, Guess who own Havokkkkkkkkkkk. kekekeke. INTEL. LMAO. YOLO. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ha ··· company) . Unreal Engine use PhysX. But most games now dosen't require you to have a Nvidia card just to play their game. Which is stupid to lose half of your buyer. Either Physic is run by GPU(PhysX Nvidia.) or it is run by your CPU, and or None at all(no physic support in the game.)

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li ··· _engines

I got sucker in to Nvidia TXAA. It is only support by like.. couple of games.. One was The Secret World.. But then they took it out when I left the game. I think a month or 2 later, they added back in.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

My god...10 billion dollar industry. Yeah it's definitely dwindling down to nothing, lol.

10 Billion in 2009, the article says it's at 12.5 Billion now. (so that's 25% growth in 3 years give or take?)

I can't imagine any business analyst worth his or her salary would dismiss this industry.
xrobertcmx
Premium Member
join:2001-06-18
White Plains, MD

xrobertcmx to kvn864

Premium Member

to kvn864
I started below the $50 mark with graphics cards a few years ago, then moved to the $100 mark, and now am up to the $200 mark. My current HD6870 is about as low as I am willing to go now.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

Thats usually how it goes. Once you get in to it it sucks you in. In a good way.
xrobertcmx
Premium Member
join:2001-06-18
White Plains, MD

xrobertcmx

Premium Member

By a few years ago I should clearify I am refering to the voodoo 3.
I think PC sales will pick up again. I have a PS3 downstairs but it just has never been as good as the PC. Couple an FX-8350 with the HD6870 and an SSD and the PS3 just can't compete. My little i5 laptop even does better.
As for tablets, well, they always end up in bedrooms by the bed. This is not a PC replacement.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212

Wow, voodoo 3, well it was pretty decent for its time.

I'm 100% certain pc gaming will pick it, valve has steam on linux and since the steam box will use linux thats just gonna be more games for the linux users. Not to mention those will probably all be released on windows.

Like you said the consoles can't compete. and I do not expect the next gen consoles to be able to ether. Not unless they want to charge over $600 this time.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by me1212:

Like you said the consoles can't compete. and I do not expect the next gen consoles to be able to ether. Not unless they want to charge over $600 this time.

Next gen consoles will be comparable or have better graphics/power for probably a month or two until new hardware is released, when at that point, PC's pass them in a cloud of dust like always.

If Sony and Microsoft are going to charge 600 dollars for the new consoles when they release, they'll be fuckin' out of their minds.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212

If MS/Sony don't make a $600 console I don't see how they will be able to make anything that can compete with current pcs. Even for a few months. My 2500k, @ 4.5ghz, and 7950, @1005mhz, will blow away most anything they can put out at an affordable price. Not trying to sound like an elitist just I know the costs of hardware. Its not like they have much to compete with, the wiiu at about the same as the 360 and ps3, MS said they will be focusing more on the kenect gimmicks(even going so far as to ship the 720 with a kenect as the primary controler, so I hear), and sony keeps loosing money on their game systems this gen. Not much to look forward to sadly.