how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jeckler

join:2005-04-11
Mesa, AZ

[AZ] Cablecards / Copy freely

This hasn't been brought up in about 6 months from what I can tell by doing seaches.
Is Cox still unnecessarily restricting watching recorded content on another PC if we're using cablecards and Ceton or SD tuners?
Cox's own Whole Home DVR allows this, correct?

basit

join:2003-11-25
Portsmouth, VA

I am able to watch my Hauppauge Win TV-DCR2650 cable card tuner from my PC to my Xbox via the media center extender. It does force me to have the tuner running on my PC, but since it's a dual tuner, I can change channels on the Xbox and it doesn't affect the channel selection on the PC. If I turn off the tuner application on my PC, the Xbox says something about content not allowed to be shared.

jeckler

Mesa, AZ

Using an extender has always been OK. What I'm wondering if the CCI flag has been changed to allow content to be played on another PC running WMC. I don't want to have to buy a 360 for the bedroom when there's a perfectly good PC sitting on the desk in there. The main HTPC is in the living room and I was thinking of picking up a Prime.
Just checked (after I kicked the kids off Netflix). Local's are copy freely, but any subscription content is still copy once. This is according to ch. 1999 > Copy Prot.

tim85254

join:2010-07-15
reply to jeckler

said by jeckler:

Is Cox still unnecessarily restricting watching recorded content on another PC if we're using cablecards and Ceton or SD tuners?

Yes, everything but the local channels has the CCI byte set to 0x02. An xBox or a Ceton "Echo" media center extender is necessary to watch programming from your main media center PC.

It hobbles TiVo transfers as well, both between boxes as well as to tablets or phones.

Kinda pointless given that 100% of the content is available on bitTorrent.

Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI

2 edits

said by tim85254:

Kinda pointless given that 100% of the content is available on bitTorrent.

That or usenet (faster, less bandwidth used.) I've already dropped to the lowest possible tier for digital since setting up a sickbeard PVR, wouldn't have done it if it weren't for the CCI flag, planning on ditching cable entirely as soon as I find a good source for national news.

Just about to plant some raspberry pi's on the remaining two TV's so we have XBMC in every room - all tv shows without cable. Who needs a $20 a month buggy POS scientific atlanta PVR when you can have a much better one for a one time cost of $35? Cox is their own worst enemy here.

jeckler

Mesa, AZ

The WAF has to be pretty high here. Ease of use, not to mention setup and maintenance is paramount.
If I moved stuff around, I could have WMC in the bedroom and use a 360 in the living as an extender. As it is now, both devices are out front.

tim85254

join:2010-07-15

Make sure you do wired ethernet or MoCA - wifi's bandwidth is not adequate for HD video.

Rakeesh

Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI

2 edits
reply to jeckler

said by jeckler:

The WAF has to be pretty high here. Ease of use, not to mention setup and maintenance is paramount.
If I moved stuff around, I could have WMC in the bedroom and use a 360 in the living as an extender. As it is now, both devices are out front.

So long as you're with cox, don't bother with WMC. I've been down that road, it just resulted in disappointment. The DRM especially makes it buggy. I've had really good results combining sickbeard with XBMC though. It's a little more technical to set up, but once you do, maintenance isn't really an issue. In fact, XBMC doesn't crash at random, randomly fail the protected media check, or say it has a weak signal at random even though the signal is fine. All of these are known issues by Microsoft, but they're not fixing them as WMC is basically an orphaned project.

Also, since you have the misfortune of being a cox subscriber, using a 360 is your ONLY option for an extender.

If you want a modern DVR configuration, you basically have these options:

1) pay cox $30 plus another $15 per room for a buggy POS
2) buy a bunch of 360s
3) go with XBMC
4) switch to satellite

If you really need live tv, national news, or sports, I'd go with satellite. Especially directv if you like football.

If you don't care about that, definitely go with XBMC. Chances are you can find every show you have in mind, with the added bonus of having a full back catalogue of all episodes. New episodes automatically download as they air. If you don't want usenet, theres a pirate bay branch of sickbeard which is almost as good.

Throw in couchpotato and you also get new release movies too, way before they are available on Netflix or even the video store. I've watched the full bluray release of some movies even a few weeks before they became available anywhere at all. And by full, I mean a 1:1 copy, no resampled crap. It's really neat, just plug in the name of a movie, and two hours or so later you have your movie.

wierdo

join:2001-02-16
Tulsa, OK
reply to jeckler

It's interesting how differently the different markets are run. Here in Tulsa, only a few of the premium channels are marked 0x02. Aside from the occasional random misconfiguration, everything else is 0x00 and works just dandy with MythTV and an HDHomerun Prime.

nickphx

join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ
reply to Rakeesh

Uh.. I wouldn't advertise how to blatantly violate copyrights. You're just opening yourself up to potential criminal and severe civil liability.

Rakeesh

Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI

Well as far as criminal charges, they have to prove you actually did it. You can say you committed murder, and unless they have proof you won't ever see prison.

I use end to end SSL, and my disks are encrypted as well with AES 256, so good luck with that.

As far as civil liability (e.g. getting sued by the MPAA) they have to know that I pirated anything they own the copyrights to. So unless I name something in particular, they aren't going anywhere.

To be honest, getting free content isn't my motivation. I'm fully willing to pay for it, and in fact I do (but not to the studios - the money goes to seedbox, VPN, and usenet providers) but the BS and burdensome restrictions you have to put up with when you go legit makes piracy far more attractive.

You know something is wrong when it is easier (not cheaper) to pirate your content than to pay for it. The industry spends literally billions in dollars and thousands of man hours to create the likes of CSS, AACS, and HDCP, only to have them broken within days/weeks of general distribution.

nickphx

join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ

Whatever works for you man. Just saying from personal experience no amount of vpns or ssl will help you when the MPAA's lackeys come knocking with subpoenas...

Rakeesh

Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI

1 edit

They need a reason to have one first.

Basically if they came to a judge, it would be like this:

MPAA lawlyer: Uhh judge, we need a court order to get the IP address of some herp dee derp on dslreports for pirating our stuff.
Judge: What evidence is this based on?
MPAA lawlyer: He said he is downloading stuff.
Judge: What is he downloading?
MPAA lawlyer: I don't know, just stuff.
Judge: Do you own the copyright to any of it?
MPAA lawlyer: Well I don't know, he just said he's downloading stuff.