Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sleuth
Premium
join:2001-08-30
West Des Moines, IA

Looking to move back

Good news for you all! My wife and I are looking to move back into the Chicago land area. Relocating to Iowa was a failed experiment. Our actual move date is tentative based on the ability to sell our current house this spring/summer.

I originally grew up in Glenview, IL and would love to be back in the Northshore area, but just can't or don't want to afford the present day home prices and taxes (for a decent house). We like the look and feel of Geneva and are casually looking out there. If you guys have any recommendations of nice areas with good schools, let me know.

Anyway, thought you guys should know the good news!

cbrigante2
Cubs 20??
Premium
join:2002-11-22
North Aurora, IL
Well Geneva is an all around nice area. Not sure about the schools, but I think they are okay.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL
reply to sleuth
So what was wrong with Iowa?

VegasMan
Are We There Yet?
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Schaumburg, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
said by JimThePCGuy:

I think you answered your own question.
--
In need of a Vegas vacation.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL
I like Iowa.

sleuth
Premium
West Des Moines, IA

1 recommendation

reply to JimThePCGuy
said by JimThePCGuy:

Here's an interesting article from a University of Iowa professor who finally convey's his disdain for the state after 20 years of living here. This article came under a lot of heat from locals, for obvious reasons. Feel free and read it if you're bored.
»www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc···249401/#

I agree with a lot of it, and a few of his points are also why I don't enjoy living here (if anyone from IA reads this, please respect that this is my personal reasons and I'm not looking to start an argument):
- Small town mentality. I didn't think 500k-600k population would be considered small, but it really is. There are quite a few Chicago transplants, but generally I don't feel all that welcome as a few others have admitted. It's a 'Oh you're from Chicago' reaction. The transplants from KC, Omaha and Minneapolis love it here. Should I start lying? Haha.
- Nothing to do. I think this is partly due to the difficulty of meeting people to socialize. I've never had a trouble meeting and making friends, ever. So this is new to me.
- Zero culture. I think that's because this is one of the whitest states in the country. I'm full Korean and my wife is white, so it's very important for me to expose my daughter to a world outside this IA bubble.
- Why are there so many old people!? I noticed this the first month of my move. Then I looked up the stats and this state has the highest per capita of people over 60, 70 and 80. Why? This state is literally dying.
- No jobs. I thought the corporate ladder didn't exist anymore. According to IA it does. Everyone who either works at the couple big companies out here: Principal and Wells Fargo have been there forever and seem accepting of it. I don't want to have to relegate to working for one company because there are no options for me. I would hate to be stuck at a job I hate.
- One of the lowest rates of retaining young adults with college degrees. Basically everyone who graduates flees this state. I can't say this is a good thing and touches on my couple points above.
- There's no PGA Superstore here.

Anyway, there's a few more reasons, but those are the bigger ones. Big reason I don't want to move back to IL is the damn property taxes! I'm paying around $3k and the equivalent from what I'm seeing in IL for my house is around $8k. Oh well!

sleuth
Premium
West Des Moines, IA
reply to cbrigante2
said by cbrigante2:

Well Geneva is an all around nice area. Not sure about the schools, but I think they are okay.

It is. My wife and I both like the downtown areas of Batavia and Geneva. There is a lot of new shopping and new homes popping up which are good signs of development and growth.

Another option is Naperville, but we're generally looking west right now since my moms in Naperville and sister is in Aurora. We still have close family in the Northshore area, but unless we hit the little lotto or something, we want a larger home and will probably settle in the western burbs somewhere. Just not all too familiar with the schools out there. I only hear limited information on Naperville schools and how great they are.

BK3

join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Yahoo
reply to sleuth
I have lived in Geneva for the past 20 years, and in the tri-cities area for 30. I still like it. Although it is much more crowded than it was 30 years ago, it is still not bad.

The schools are rated as some of the best in the state.
--
Learn from the past and look to the future.

Clever_Proxy
Premium
join:2004-05-14
Villa Park, IL
reply to sleuth
Welcome back! Don't know if I could make it in Iowa myself.

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL
reply to sleuth
Wasn't naperville picked as one of the best places to live not long ago? I'm sure the schools had a lot to do with that. Maybe you can find a foreclosure or short sale and get yourself a sweet deal. The area though (Naperville, Aurora, wheaton, Lisle) has a ton of places to work. BMO Harris just opened a huge building next door to my wifes work. Navistar, Alcatel-Lucent (though I'm not sure what if anything they still do at that building) etc.. Or you could hop an Metra express train and be downtown in 20 minutes. The surface road traffic around here can really suck balls but in general, it's a very commuter friendly area.

We also have a friend that lives in Lemont. Seems nice enough. Though I'm not sure what's there besides Cog Hill. I'd be willing too bet there's a PGA Superstore there or at least something similar.

sleuth
Premium
West Des Moines, IA
said by Jon:

Wasn't naperville picked as one of the best places to live not long ago? I'm sure the schools had a lot to do with that. Maybe you can find a foreclosure or short sale and get yourself a sweet deal. The area though (Naperville, Aurora, wheaton, Lisle) has a ton of places to work. BMO Harris just opened a huge building next door to my wifes work. Navistar, Alcatel-Lucent (though I'm not sure what if anything they still do at that building) etc.. Or you could hop an Metra express train and be downtown in 20 minutes. The surface road traffic around here can really suck balls but in general, it's a very commuter friendly area.

We also have a friend that lives in Lemont. Seems nice enough. Though I'm not sure what's there besides Cog Hill. I'd be willing too bet there's a PGA Superstore there or at least something similar.

Yay jobs! Both my wife and I telecommute so that's nice, for now. I work for Aon and her United Healthcare. Just nice having options for my wife like Takeda, Walgreens, Baxter, Abbot and for myself Accenture, Mercer, etc. Good stuff. I can't tell you how badly I've wanted to go back to Chicago

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL
Do you do finance or stuff like six sigma? That whole lean process thing seems to be all the rage at my work atm. Some of it is ok. A lot of it is petty stupid crap though. They taped off areas on work tables in the factory where stuff should go. Garbage cans, staplers, pen cups, shit like that. Seriously..

jmdomini
Premium
join:2000-05-04
Sycamore, IL
reply to sleuth
Geneva is definitely very nice, as is St. Charles. I think you'll find both to be very expensive though. I think you'll probably have better luck with Batavia. At least at few years ago when I was looking, there were some reasonably priced homes available.

If you are willing to consider a condo or town home, Naperville can actually be reasonable. Plainfield is nice as well, however traffic on I-55 is horrible. I'll also throw Oswego out there.

Personally I'd recommend staying away from Aurora. Even if the neighborhood looks good. I lived there for four years, a combination of the east and west side over those years and I have no kind words for the place.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to sleuth
said by sleuth:

Good news for you all! My wife and I are looking to move back into the Chicago land area.

How do we know that isn't bad news for us all?

We like the look and feel of Geneva and are casually looking out there.

I've been in Geneva for 24 years now, and still liking it.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.2; firefox 17.0

sleuth
Premium
West Des Moines, IA
reply to Jon
said by Jon:

Do you do finance or stuff like six sigma? That whole lean process thing seems to be all the rage at my work atm. Some of it is ok. A lot of it is petty stupid crap though. They taped off areas on work tables in the factory where stuff should go. Garbage cans, staplers, pen cups, shit like that. Seriously..

Finance isn't my specific field but I have participated in a few Kaizen events in the past for various client teams. It's definitely interesting and really does help streamline some process flows. Maybe all that junk on the table was creating time consuming work for someone else to put away

whymeintrouble
Premium
join:2001-06-20
Naperville, IL
reply to Jon
said by Jon:

there was a house partially finished in my neighborhood, where million dollar plus houses are getting more and more common. house sold for $250k. I'm guessing they put around $250-300k into it. sold it for $1.025 a few months ago!

I was kicking myself once I found out how much the unfinished house sold for.

robinonaf1

@vsnl.net.in
reply to sleuth
I like Place.No doubt that Chicago is the destination to learn about new technology initiatives. With its sparkling lights and joyous atmosphere, Chicago is a pleasant winter wonderland. The city’s downtown & neighborhoods shine brightly throughout the season. The condos,home duplex units are also available here. All types of facility that we need are there.