Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

1 recommendation

sashwa to zurk

Mod

to zurk

Re: line monitor keeps disappearing.

To keep your line monitor active, you need to login to the site at least every 30 days. If you don't then your monitor stops and you will need to re-activate it.

It's not a bug but how the system works.
zurk
Premium Member
join:2009-11-08
Beverly Hills, CA

zurk

Premium Member

well then its a silly way of working and should be fixed.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

said by zurk:

What would your restrictions be:

a) Must log-in every quarter

b) Must log-in every year

???

state
stress magnet
Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory

2 recommendations

state to zurk

Mod

to zurk
said by zurk:

It's to make sure you still exist. Otherwise we could end up wasting resources monitoring lines until the end of time (which just passed in December, according to the Mayans).

Weirdal
Premium Member
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE

1 recommendation

Weirdal

Premium Member

said by state:

said by zurk:

It's to make sure you still exist. Otherwise we could end up wasting resources monitoring lines until the end of time (which just passed in December, according to the Mayans).

Wouldn't it just stop when he runs out of tool points?

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

2 recommendations

tmpchaos

Numquam oblitus

There are free monitor groups.
zurk
Premium Member
join:2009-11-08
Beverly Hills, CA

zurk to state

Premium Member

to state
hello ? its a line monitor. you exist if your IP is pingable.
My restrictions would be that it should work as long as your IP is active and pingable, if not login once every 30 days to verify.
logging in every 30 days if the IP is pingable is ridiculous. i usually browse and post anon and have no need to login at all.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
Hoboken, NJ

2 recommendations

tmpchaos

Numquam oblitus

From a user's point of view, you're right. As an expense of the site, though, I don't see it as unreasonable to have log in (not even have to confirm that you want to continue the monitor) once every 30 days. It's stated quite clearly in the weekly mail:

** You must visit dslreports at least once a month, (logged in)
To maintain this line monitor **

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

1 recommendation

La Luna to zurk

Premium Member

to zurk
said by zurk:

My restrictions would be that it should work as long as your IP is active and pingable, if not login once every 30 days to verify.
logging in every 30 days if the IP is pingable is ridiculous. i usually browse and post anon and have no need to login at all.

So you want anyone and everyone to be able to use the line monitor function (and resources) of this site, whether they are a participating (logging in occasionally) member or not? That makes no sense.

Weirdal
Premium Member
Grand Island, NE

1 recommendation

Weirdal

Premium Member

said by La Luna:

said by zurk:

So you want anyone and everyone to be able to use the line monitor function (and resources) of this site, whether they are a participating (logging in occasionally) member or not? That makes no sense.

Most people (including him, I imagine) are paying a recurring fee to use it. Why should they have to log in? I don't have to log in to my Charter account every month to keep my cable service.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
Hoboken, NJ

1 recommendation

tmpchaos

Numquam oblitus

said by Weirdal:

Most people (including him, I imagine) are paying a recurring fee to use it. Why should they have to log in? I don't have to log in to my Charter account every month to keep my cable service.

Actually, he's on a free group monitor:

... then it auto adds to the group.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

1 recommendation

La Luna to Weirdal

Premium Member

to Weirdal
This isn't an ISP, it's a privately run website. The rules say if you/he want to take advantage of a FREE line monitor, you have to login every 30 days. So be it, whether you or he think it's stupid or not. Take it or leave it. I don't see what the big deal about logging in every 30 days is anyway.

Weirdal
Premium Member
Grand Island, NE

1 recommendation

Weirdal to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos
said by tmpchaos:

said by Weirdal:

Actually, he's on a free group monitor:

... then it auto adds to the group.

Well nevermind please ignore all my posts in this thread because I'm dumb.