spc
Search similar:

uniqs

done w teks
@teksavvy.com

done w teks

Anon

cancelling teksavvy

An agent for teksavvy told me the earliest to expect Cogeco would be Summer 2013. I am canceling my internet with Teksavvy and moving to standard broadband.

They own their own hardware. From my research lots of people have gotten faster than their advertised speeds and. And 15mbit/1.5mbit for $45 is unlimited. Ping to Toronto is 50ms as opposed to 28ms with teksavvy since it's satellite technology.

They also have 14/14mbit for business for $200/m
Don't see why teksavvy can't invest in that kind of technology.

Seriously why doesn't teksavvy invest in satellite. If they use the proper spectrum weather doesn't affect. Using another providers hardware will always be a big issue, bad business decision. And speed improves at a snail space.

If you install towers people would defiantly switch from other carriers bell, rogers, cogeco, etc if its faster and unlimited
Expand your moderator at work
camelot
join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON

camelot to done w teks

to done w teks

Re: cancelling teksavvy

Do you have any idea how much satellite costs???

You don't own satellites. You rent them from the only Canadian operator, TeleSAT.

The pure cost is the reason Bell is moving away from Satellite and into IPTV. It simply costs far too much.

A small ISP such as TSI would lose their shirts, as most other satellite providers have.

Satellite internet, is a dead money-losing investment.

NytOwl
join:2012-09-27
canada

NytOwl

Funny fact, though: BCE (Bell) actually owned Telesat until 2007.
camelot
join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON

camelot

said by NytOwl:

Funny fact, though: BCE (Bell) actually owned Telesat until 2007.

Probably because it was far too expensive to operate and turn a profit.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

it's actually turning some nice profit now.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre to done w teks

Premium Member

to done w teks
Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you are leaving us.

I am a little curious though, what city do you live in?

Also, we do have towers for wireless service setup however at this time, they are in the Chatham-Kent Ontario region only.

Thanks,

Andre
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7 to done w teks

to done w teks
Invest in Satelite ? what????
zzee
join:2011-09-05

zzee

Standard broad band in on WImax, tower require los, however service is good so far in milton

mike0z
@teksavvy.com

mike0z to done w teks

Anon

to done w teks
Recently i have noticed many local ISP's deploying fixed wireless, some are fairly extensive around the barrie area and north. They can potentially offer much higher speeds with unlimited bandwidth, for less than your average (bell) DSL connection.especially after bell/rogers nixed support for their portable/wimax network last year in pursuit of overpriced 4G rocket sticks, etc...

It really is the new competition, I know a few who dropped DSL for a local wireless service, mainly due to poor/marginal lines and slow speeds. I really feel teksavvy could invest in such wireless and blow the competition out of the water...bypassing legacy phone/cable lines which they do not own.

spock8
join:2012-07-08

spock8 to done w teks

to done w teks
Invest in satellite.... No thanks. Geostationary Leo satellite pings can be over 1000ms. The round trip mileage the signal has to travel from earth station to customer is 36,000 km.

Just to give you an idea of what 36,000km is, the earths circumference is 40,000km

DarkStar33
join:2008-03-27
Toronto, ON

DarkStar33 to done w teks

to done w teks
said by done w teks :

An agent for teksavvy told me the earliest to expect Cogeco would be Summer 2013. I am canceling my internet with Teksavvy and moving to standard broadband.

They own their own hardware. From my research lots of people have gotten faster than their advertised speeds and. And 15mbit/1.5mbit for $45 is unlimited. Ping to Toronto is 50ms as opposed to 28ms with teksavvy since it's satellite technology.

Seriously why doesn't teksavvy invest in satellite. If they use the proper spectrum weather doesn't affect. Using another providers hardware will always be a big issue, bad business decision. And speed improves at a snail space.

If you install towers people would defiantly switch from other carriers bell, rogers, cogeco, etc if its faster and unlimited

Cogeco has traditionally been very wishy-washy on everything, they do what they want when they want rather then setting a schedule and sticking to it.

NASA can barely afford to launch things into space, why do you think a small ISP can afford it?
80289148 (banned)
join:2012-12-24

80289148 (banned) to done w teks

to done w teks
said by done w teks :

If you want cogeco goto start.ca
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to camelot

to camelot

Re: cancelling teksavvy

said by camelot:

The pure cost is the reason Bell is moving away from Satellite and into IPTV. It simply costs far too much.

Cost has nothing to do with it and they'll never get rid of their satellite based service as there are tons of customers that will never be able to acquire their IPTV based service or just plain do not want to move over for a variety of reasons.

They're offering IPTV as it allows them to offer services they cannot offer via satellite and get access to customers that cannot use a satellite dish.

34764170 (banned) to camelot

to camelot
said by camelot:

Probably because it was far too expensive to operate and turn a profit.

No, BCE refocused their business plans and divested of subsidiaries they considered as not part of their core business. They don't have to own the satellites and the business that operates them to be able to utilize capacity on the satellites.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to done w teks

Premium Member

to done w teks
Take a look at »start.ca/services/highspeed they offer Cable internet throughout the entire Cogeco footprint.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to camelot

Premium Member

to camelot
said by camelot:

Do you have any idea how much satellite costs???

Here's a "sample" breakdown of Satellite cost... from our bro's over on Techdirt.

The Cost Breakdown of Launching a Satellite

A quick internet search reveals that this is the cost for getting a satellite into orbit:

Satellite manufacture: $150M
Satellite launch: $120M
Launch insurance: $20M
In-orbit insurance: $20M
Satellite operations (15 years): $15M

You can read more about that here: SF Wireless ISP MonkeyBrains Tries To Crowdfund $325 Million For A Satellite