Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tahoejeff
Premium
join:2001-07-01
Wisconsin Dells, WI

ideas for cheap amplifier/splitter

I have a police scanner, and want to send the audio to some kind of receiver or amp that I can use to connect a speaker for 3 different rooms. Need to be able to turn audio on/off to each room, or play audio in all 3 rooms. Stereo is ok, FM radio is ok, but neither is necessary.
Ideally this will include a remote control and cost under $75.
Here's one product I found, but can only do 4 channels (1 room?) and I don't think I can switch which room the output goes to.
»www.amazon.com/Lepai-LP-269FS-Wa···_sim_e_2
--
The Geek Shall Inherit the Earth

airwavz
Always the green wire

join:2011-09-11
Mount Juliet, TN
kudos:1

Probably the simple solution here is to send the scanner's audio out to an FM modulator (essentially a small FM transmitter) and you can listen on any FM radio in the house, whether large stereo system, clock radio, portable radio, etc. and have complete volume control in each room. Here are a couple of possibilities:

»www.amazon.com/GTS0908-MODULATOR···09D9KNJW

»www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bi···ey=FM10C

I have played with the Ramsey unit several years ago - should serve your needs just fine, and it is a REALLY simple kit if you have ever soldered anything at all. I am not familiar with the 'Nippon Modulator' unit, but there are several 'FM Modulators' available for car use - though you'll have to provide a 12 volt power supply for them - Google will find a bunch for you.

HTH
--
Original account from 2000 - given up in protest (I don't believe in 'Political Correctness') - but DSLR is STILL my home page...

tahoejeff
Premium
join:2001-07-01
Wisconsin Dells, WI

Sorry, should have got back to you sooner. I took your excellent advice and picked up a C. Crane FM Transmitter 2 from Amazon. Even sends my scanner audio to my clock radio next to my bed, and the stereo out in the garage! A perfect solution!
Thanks for your suggestion!
--
The Geek Shall Inherit the Earth