uniqs
share rss forum feed

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to Mike Wolf

Re: [X1] X1, to get or not to get...cost?

said by Mike Wolf:

The link you posted says RNG boxes but doesn't specifically say if they are Cisco RNG boxes, Pace RNG boxes, or Motorola RNG boxes, all which have different components.

Ted's quote states Cisco RNG boxes because it is in a SA/Cisco blog, but in other posts he has stated that both Cisco (RNG) and the newer Motorola DCX STBs will support the X1 Guide in the future.

The following excerpts are from Ted Hodgins.
quote:
. . .

The newer Motorola DCX series of boxes in some markets are scheduled at some point in 2013 to get the new X1 guide (also known as On-Screen Guide 3.0).

. . .

The long term plan is to get all of our newest cable boxes (regardless of hardware manufacturer or geography) onto a common more advanced on-screen guide starting in 2013 to provide a more consistent experience. Thanks for your patience.

See »Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog)

Please note how vague the statement is.using "some" and "starting in".
--
Cisco RNG 200N & SA 8300 HD DVRs-S26 Guide
Links
'Guide Blog'
'Schedule'
'Info'
'Patch Thread'

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3

1 edit

yup
I'd love to know when we can see a Netflix app on the X1 interface.

TurboDan

join:2006-06-08
Lavallette, NJ

said by Mike Wolf:

yup
I'd love to know when we can see a Netflix app on the X1 interface.

If the temperature in hell is above 32 degrees, I wouldn't hold my breath...

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Click for full size
Hell really DID freeze over
So pretty good then right?

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to Russ6

Give Ted a heads up »forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···5#M63936

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD
reply to Joe12345678

Comcast has existing bandwidth contracts with Level 3 and Akamai (dating back at least a decade - the two contracts date back to when I was still working for them in Silver Spring) - so I doubt bandwidth to the cloud is an issue.

TurboDan

join:2006-06-08
Lavallette, NJ
reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

First, I'm glad your back and hope things are getting better in your area.

Thanks man. LBI (Surf City where I live) is so-so. Not totally damaged, but JUST enough where we can't really live at home. Have to get new walls, floors, heating vents, etc before we can move back in. I'm sure Beachwood is similar. My aunt in Bayville lost her entire first floor and three cars on Seabrite Ave.

quote:
Second, According to what I've been told its available for all of Ocean County so your area should be covered as well but you'd need a truck rollout. I can give you the number to my X1 tech in PM if you would like. Also I'm hearing that a lot of bugs are going to be fixed in the upcoming S26 rollout and shortly there after Guide 2.0 although I believe the latter will require you to upgrade to the RNG200N which I recommend. I swapped out my SA8300HD when it caught fire for the RNG200N and I'm impressed. Now I have one RNG200N that runs a Western Digital 500GB AV-GP drive »www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=150 and one RNG200N that runs a Seagate 500GB Pipeline HD AV drive »www.seagate.com/internal-hard-dr···line-hd/ [/quote[

Would appreciate that. I can deal with a truck roll. The SA8300 is driving me nuts every night with the noise, plus I always just want to have the latest. I'm a nerd at heart, ha!

quote:
The 8300HD runs a Maxtor (Now owned by Seagate) 160GB QuickView AV drive and just doesn't compare to the quality the new AV purposed drives have plus are stone dead quiet.
Replaced my elderly neighbor's HD last summer. Her Seagate went boom.

quote:
[Personally I'm using external hard drives to add onto the overall capacity and have been really impressed with the Seagate DVR Expander. Comes in 1TB and 2TB capacities. »www.seagate.com/external-hard-dr···xpander/

Thanks! I don't record THAT much, but would be happy to be able to transfer to to my Mac every so often, so any external option gets my interest!

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1

said by TurboDan:

Thanks! I don't record THAT much, but would be happy to be able to transfer to to my Mac every so often, so any external option gets my interest!

The recordings are encrypted and can only be watched on the DVR that recorded them.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to TurboDan

Yeah, just as Russ said the recordings are encrypted for the whole purpose of copy protection, which is the same reason that the firewire and usb ports are usually disabled. Once the external drive is connected to either another DVR or computer (Linux, PC, Mac), it must be reformatted before it can be used. AnyRoom DVR functionality is said to allow the ability to view recorded content located on one DVR on other devices or set top boxes within the home in a streaming manner. I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with VoIP testing so my contact info is below.
Gigaset.net: Michael Wolf
Callcentric: 17772288600
SIP URI: sip:226976325024#9@sip.gigaset.net and sip:17772288600@in.callcentric.com