spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jhankins
join:2007-03-24
Avon, IN

jhankins

Merge two networks

Not sure if this is U-Verse specific, but I think this is the best place for my question.

I have my own wireless router connected behind the U-Verse router in DMZ mode. All my computers and devices connect to my own wifi, not the U-Verse wifi.

I have a BluRay player that can connect using DLNA to my computers. I want to connect the ethernet of the BluRay to the ethernet of a U-Verse STB and have DLNA working to my computers.

The problem is that the network my computers are on, and the network the U-Verse STBs are on are "separated". (sorry, I don't know the correct network terminology).

Is it possible to have these two networks communicate with each other?

Thanks,
Jay

stormbow
Freedom isn't FREE
Premium Member
join:2002-07-31
Simi Valley, CA

stormbow

Premium Member

First question, why did you partition your network that way. Was there a specific security need? If not, just disable the DHCP in your router and move the cable from the WAN port to a LAN port.
jhankins
Avon, IN

jhankins

Perhaps not a specific security need, other than Tomato being leaps and bounds more customizable than anything AT&T can provide. Tomato, specifically, is providing an OpenVPN server for me to access remotely.

Other than that, it's really just the nature of the beast... unlike a cable modem, which doesn't act as a router, the best you can do with AT&T U-Verse is to configure your own router in a DMZ of the U-Verse router.

Mangix
join:2012-02-16
united state

1 edit

Mangix to jhankins

to jhankins
you should be able to run OpenVPN when tomato is not routing. Just have to port forward on the U-Verse Gateway instead. I used to do this with an SSH server running on tomato.
jhankins
Avon, IN

jhankins

Alright, so I can understand that. Next up, I have some Cisco IP Phones which need DHCP option 150 specified. I've been doing this with the dnsmasq built into Tomato. How can I fix that if I rely on the U-Verse gateway?

techguyga
Premium Member
join:2003-12-31
ARRIS BGW210-700

techguyga

Premium Member

Is this a residential or business install?

If you don't have too many Cisco phones, just use the Alternate TFTP option in the network configuration on the phone and manually specify the TFTP address. This is what I do to any Cisco phone that I send home with someone, as that's all option 150 does...just using DHCP.