spc
Search similar:

uniqs
JSP932
join:2012-12-31
Decatur, IL

JSP932

[Services] u-verse

I am moving to a new location and u-verse is available. The ATT sales rep said with u-verse it requires digital phones which ATT provides. I ask the phone rep If my existing phones could be used with u-verse. He said my old phones use copper wire u-verse uses fiber optics so my existing phones and answering machines wont work. I ask the rep or told the rep "I repair consumer electronics for occupation and I know they make adaptors to convert digital audio to analog audio and analog audio to digital digital. You would think there would be one for phones. His reply was there was no such technology for that. I have not seen anything to give me a definite answer on the web, that's how I found this forum. I have asked every way I could think of "will analog phones work with u-verse" I guess maybe there not called analog phones.

VegasMan
Living the Vegas life.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Las Vegas, NV

VegasMan

Premium Member

I've never heard of anybody having to get new phones with U-Verse.

quetwo
That VoIP Guy
Premium Member
join:2004-09-04
East Lansing, MI

quetwo to JSP932

Premium Member

to JSP932
U-Verse is not even fiber-optic to the home. It fiber to your neighborhood, and copper to your home. In your home you have a DSL modem that provides internet and off that you get TV service (or, some combination of equipment to give you TV + Internet off the same DSL circuit, depending on the area). Your home phone line is no different than any other analog service.

AT&T purchased a very limited deployment of Fiber to the Home (FTTH) when they bough Bell South. Even off those deployments, there is equipment that sits outside your house (very rarely inside the house) that converts fiber to Ethernet + Coax + Phone. Either way, you still use your old phone equipment.
dave006
join:1999-12-26
Boca Raton, FL

1 recommendation

dave006 to JSP932

to JSP932
said by JSP932:

I am moving to a new location and u-verse is available. The ATT sales rep said with u-verse it requires digital phones which ATT provides. I ask the phone rep If my existing phones could be used with u-verse. He said my old phones use copper wire u-verse uses fiber optics so my existing phones and answering machines wont work. I ask the rep or told the rep "I repair consumer electronics for occupation and I know they make adaptors to convert digital audio to analog audio and analog audio to digital digital. You would think there would be one for phones. His reply was there was no such technology for that. I have not seen anything to give me a definite answer on the web, that's how I found this forum. I have asked every way I could think of "will analog phones work with u-verse" I guess maybe there not called analog phones.

The AT&T Sales rep is wrong! I use traditional analog phones and even an analog answering machine with my U-verse VDSL service!

The U-verse modem provides the analog dial tone at the back of the modem for the U-verse VoIP offering. This allows you to plug a traditional analog device directly to the back of the modem or backfeeding your dial-tone from the modem to your inside wiriing (IW) to provide dial-tone at all wired jacks.

You also have the option of keeping or getting traditional POTS phone service alongside U-verse if you don't care for VoIP service and in my market AT&T will price match the POTS pricing to match the slightly lower U-verse VoIP pricing!

Most U-verse VDSL plants are indeed a combination of Fiber to the Node (FTTN) and then copper to you. In addition to the old BellSouth FTTP, there are also new green field installs of FTTP in several markets; CA, MI and other states besides just a few of the former 12 BellSouth markest.

Dave
Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state
·T-Mobile

Secyurityet to JSP932

Premium Member

to JSP932
said by JSP932:

The ATT sales rep said with u-verse it requires digital phones which ATT provides.

Does AT&T even sell pure digital residential phones? Or was salesperson just trying to sell a couple of late-model phones to an unsuspecting victim?
nrobot80
join:2012-12-05
Union City, GA

nrobot80 to JSP932

to JSP932
I am a U-verse tech. AT&T only provides the equipment that is required to get the signal to the customers home (STB, residential gateway, etc). The customer is required to supply their own equipment (TV, computer, phone, etc.) If the customer chooses to purchase their own new phone to work with U-Verse voice then that is up to the customer. That sales person may have been implying that the phone service is digital and is not over copper wires. I hope that was one of those instances where the call is recorded for quality assurance
JSP932
join:2012-12-31
Decatur, IL

JSP932

thanks, I finally saw a picture of a uverse modem with two phone jacks on it. I would assume I could split those jacks and have more than 2 phones. I would also assume that I could connect my wireless router to it and it would work. I wasn't told if the uverse has a wireless option or if its standard??? If uverse is available in my area can I still get dsl? I am in mid Illinois does that make any difference. again thanks much all!!!
nrobot80
join:2012-12-05
Union City, GA

nrobot80

How many phones do you have in your home? If the tech install it right your whole home should work with U verse. Being in mid IL doesn't matter with U verse. The only thing that matters is how far you live from the VRAD. Seeing that you are getting U verse you must live within 3500 ft of your VRAD. Also if you get U verse you can't switch back to DSL.