spc
Search similar:

uniqs
fxsti
join:2012-12-31
Oakville, ON

fxsti

Start Communications

After years with Cogeco, I have just ordered the Advanced Cable Internet Service with Start Communications. Nothing wrong with Cogeco, just kept on going over my cap, so dollar for dollar, the Start package looks better.

Cogeco retentions offered me their "new activation package" if I stayed with them. Would have saved me a bit for the first year.

I will try to update this (my first) post once I receive the modem
in 10 business days from the New Year.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

Once you've got more experience with them, I would also suggest posting a review here: »/dorat ··· ISP/2941

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat to fxsti

to fxsti
You won't regret your decision

jasmo34
join:2008-03-20
~ London ~

jasmo34 to fxsti

to fxsti
And just in case you hadn't found this yet...
DSLR Forum... »Start.ca

silvercat

silvercat

said by jasmo34:

DSLR Forum... »Start.ca

Better that we get more posts concerning Start Communications in the main Canadian Broadband forum. The more Start topics there are here, the better chance that the mods will move the Start forum into the main "Canadian" section -- for greater visibility.
Sensational
join:2005-06-12

Sensational to fxsti

to fxsti
Start is probably the best ISP I have ever been with. Their tech support/accounting respond time is extremely fast and I'm getting amazing speeds. There is honestly nothing I can complain about except price which is always a complaint for me lol

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to silvercat

Premium Member

to silvercat
said by silvercat:

better chance that the mods will move the Start forum into the main "Canadian" section -- for greater visibility.

+1

Mike
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to silvercat

to silvercat
said by silvercat:

said by jasmo34:

DSLR Forum... »Start.ca

Better that we get more posts concerning Start Communications in the main Canadian Broadband forum. The more Start topics there are here, the better chance that the mods will move the Start forum into the main "Canadian" section -- for greater visibility.

For that to happen, people would have to stop just adding to the humongous Start thread and start new threads when they have a question.
jackie999
join:2008-08-13
Aurora, ON

jackie999 to fxsti

to fxsti
Another happy 'start.ca' customer here.
Reading this thread I wonder..will start ever have it's own 'forum' here (yes, I know there is one but it's virtually impossible to find)? Start.ca works, support is good, price is the best (for me) and setup was idiot proof. Doesn't it take a load of threads for mods here to decide to move an ISP to the "Canadian catagory" forum? If start keeps on doing everything right, then I doubt we'll see them in the Canadian forum...in other words..the ISP's with the most complaints and problems seem to be front and center...

silvercat

silvercat

said by jackie999:

Reading this thread I wonder..will start ever have it's own 'forum' here (yes, I know there is one but it's virtually impossible to find)? Start.ca works, support is good, price is the best (for me) and setup was idiot proof. Doesn't it take a load of threads for mods here to decide to move an ISP to the "Canadian catagory" forum? If start keeps on doing everything right, then I doubt we'll see them in the Canadian forum...in other words..the ISP's with the most complaints and problems seem to be front and center...

Well remember initially there were loads of Teksavvy related threads in the Canadian Broadband forum (and also don't remember the overwhelming majority of those threads being negative ) before a new forum was created for Teksavvy (and easy to find).

Edit: i think the real solution is to not discourage people from creating new threads (with the subject having to do with Start) in Canadian Broadband.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by silvercat:

said by jackie999:

Reading this thread I wonder..will start ever have it's own 'forum' here (yes, I know there is one but it's virtually impossible to find) ? ....

....I think the real solution is to NOT discourage people from creating new threads (with the subject having to do with Start) in Canadian Broadband.

I'm glad that you both are pleased with START.

Though I personally do not find the 'Junior START forum' »Start.ca hard to find in the least, it's a tough call whether to post our individual START-related topic posts there, or to deliberately (maybe on purpose, even ) 'LITTER' the Canadian BroadBand forum with them, so that the mods cannot help but notice them, even if we were to say nothing further on the matter of a 'Front-Page' forum for START.

silvercat

silvercat

said by Davesnothere:

Though I personally do not find the 'Junior START forum' »Start.ca hard to find in the least, it's a tough call whether to post our individual START-related topic posts there, or to deliberately (maybe on purpose, even) 'litter' the Canadian BroadBand forum with them.

I agree. It wouldn't be a good idea to litter the Canadian Broadband forum with Start-related posts -- just for the sake of creating more posts. Of course you know that wasn't my intent

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by silvercat:

I agree. It wouldn't be a good idea to litter the Canadian Broadband forum with Start-related posts -- just for the sake of creating more posts. Of course you know that wasn't my intent

Of course not !

But MY purpose was to ask "If we DO have something worthwhile to say/ask, then WHICH would be the better and more effective place to post ?", based upon how many folks would SEE it, as well as the eventuality of getting a primary forum for START.

(BTW, I edited my last post some more....)
fxsti
Oakville, ON

fxsti

To update and get back on track, I received the Thomson Modem three days after calling Start. I chose the rental option rather than purchase, since I was told that the only Docsis 3 modem they had in stock to service my area was the Technicolor modem.

I plugged the modem in, rebooted my Linksys router, and verified through traceroute that I have service through Start. Both modems will work at this time with their respective service provider. Download speeds are about the same, although I did order the 20mbps from Start versus the 14mbps that I have from Cogeco.

Will I get the 20mbps on Start automatically after my cancel date on
Cogeco or do I need to call Start?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Is your modem syncing with a D2 or D3 profile (ie how many channels listed at 192.168.100.1). And also what is your activation date with us? Thanks.
fxsti
Oakville, ON

fxsti

Activation Date is the 16th.
From the Diagnostics Page, does the below give you the profile?

Channel Frequency Power SNR BER Modulation
1 453.0 MHz 8.6 dBmV 42.5 dB 0.010 % 256 QAM
2 471.0 MHz 11.3 dBmV 44.0 dB 0.003 % 256 QAM
3 477.0 MHz 11.5 dBmV 43.8 dB 0.003 % 256 QAM
4 483.0 MHz 11.7 dBmV 43.9 dB 0.001 % 256 QAM
5 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB 0.0 % None
6 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB 0.0 % None
7 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB 0.0 % None
8 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB 0.0 % None
Return Path:
Channel ID Frequency Power Modulation
3 25.3 MHz 45.0 dBmV 64 QAM
0 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV QPSK
0 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV QPSK
0 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV QPSK

Thanks
fxsti

fxsti to rocca

to rocca
Channel Frequency Power SNR BER Modulation
1 453.0 MHz 8.6 dBmV 42.5 dB 0.010 % 256 QAM
2 471.0 MHz 11.3 dBmV 44.0 dB 0.003 % 256 QAM
3 477.0 MHz 11.5 dBmV 43.8 dB 0.003 % 256 QAM
4 483.0 MHz 11.7 dBmV 43.9 dB 0.001 % 256 QAM
5 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB 0.0 % None
6 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB 0.0 % None
7 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB 0.0 % None
8 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB 0.0 % None
Return Path:
Channel ID Frequency Power Modulation
3 25.3 MHz 45.0 dBmV 64 QAM
0 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV QPSK
0 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV QPSK
0 0.0 MHz 0.0 dBmV QPSK

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Thanks so you're in D3 which is good and should see the new profile speed on the 16th. If not just call in and we can get it adjusted but should be fine - will probably need to factory reset the modem on the 16th though.

jasmo34
join:2008-03-20
~ London ~

jasmo34 to MichelR

to MichelR
said by MichelR:

said by silvercat:

said by jasmo34:

DSLR Forum... »Start.ca

For that to happen, people would have to stop just adding to the humongous Start thread and start new threads when they have a question.

Agreed... Start's MEGA-THREAD in CdnBB must DIE! The new-page delay is a real PITA, and confusing to new posters! Maybe when there is a new Start announcement...

Well, I'm always going to try make a new person aware of the Start Junior Forum; posts seem to be going up almost equally in both forums lately.

I'm actually quite happy to see 'no posts' in the Start forum for periods of a day or two. That probably means no big problems, and/or their phone/email/website support systems are working well!

A lot of the heavy Teksavvy traffic in the early days was probably MLPPP-related.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to fxsti

Premium Member

to fxsti
said by fxsti:

I have just ordered the Advanced Cable Internet Service with Start Communications.

Just ordered the same service myself, got the confirmation email, just waiting for the call to confirm.

I've started a review that I'll update as the process unfolds.

Mike
fxsti
Oakville, ON

fxsti

What has been really great about switching over is that I was able to plug in the new modem, and seamlessly begin using the Start service. No network interruption and no lost calls over my voip = happy wife

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to fxsti

Premium Member

to fxsti
said by fxsti:

Activation Date is the 16th.
From the Diagnostics Page, does the below give you the profile?

Just thought I'd point out that your power levels are a bit high and that error correction is kicking in on your connection. Not only do you want it between -10 and +10 to be ideal (spec is -15 to +15, once you get beyond them you'll start losing sync), but you also want the power level to be within +/- 2 for each channel. You might be fine and not run into any issues as your SNR looks good, but this is something you might want to keep in mind if you do run into issues in the future.

If it were me, I'd check the quality of the line coming in and see if there are any splitters where they shouldn't be. If everything otherwise looks good, I'd be on the horn over the disparity between the channel 1 and 2-4 power levels as that indicates something far more weird going on with your line rather than just the signal being too loud.

ruddypict
join:2010-03-24

ruddypict to fxsti

to fxsti
Can any of you new Start customers tell me if they offer static IP?
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru

said by ruddypict:

Can any of you new Start customers tell me if they offer static IP?

Not for cable. Not sure about dsl.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to ruddypict

Premium Member

to ruddypict
Not available on cable, but yes for dsl.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by rocca:

Not available on cable

And that's not just Start either - no cable provider does static for residential that I'm aware of.

Business cable, yes. Cha-ching.

Mike

BThunderW
join:2010-02-16
Cambridge, ON

BThunderW to ruddypict

to ruddypict
Easy solution for static IP. Get a basic VPS server for about $10/month. Set up a VPN bridge between the two, have your home connect to the VPS since the VPS ip doesn't change.

Your VPS IP is now your static IP address.
fxsti
Oakville, ON

fxsti

To complete my report on this migration over from Cogeco, I can say I have been very pleased. While I was already on the Start service with the rental modem well before the cutover date, I ended up purchasing a Cisco DPC3000 modem on ebay. Within 3 hours of calling in the new MAC address, my new modem was plugged in and working with the promised up and down speeds. The difference is noticeable and for anyone on the fence about service interruption etc., there really isn't anything to worry about.

Jeffer71
join:2008-09-13
Carrying Place, ON

Jeffer71 to rocca

to rocca
Do you offer Mlppp?

rogersmogers
@start.ca

rogersmogers

Anon

said by Jeffer71:

Do you offer Mlppp?

Why would you want that? Just get cable if you want speed.