join:2001-10-14
Canada
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to cacroll

Re: Beware Hotel WiFi

A much better idea in my opinion is the setting of one-time use passwords. You set them in advance in your GMail account while you are at home using your regular password, then if you have to login in an insecure environment, using a one-time password that is no good afterwards ensures your account can't be hijacked.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
said by MacGyver:

A much better idea in my opinion is the setting of one-time use passwords. You set them in advance in your GMail account while you are at home using your regular password, then if you have to login in an insecure environment, using a one-time password that is no good afterwards ensures your account can't be hijacked.

how to? (or is this the one time pad for 2 step authentication)
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
I have a VPN setup on my home router as well. I use that while connected to open WiFi hotspots. Either that, or I tether my device to my smartphone that has tethering built in.

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
join:2001-10-14
Canada
reply to AVD
It's an idea I pitched to Google.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
reply to MacGyver
Assuming that it's working as described. How one time log in is much better idea than anything? What if you will have to check your gmail account again in a half of hour and so on? And you'll have to think twice (or even more than that) before you log out... It's not practical at all.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

cacroll
Eventually, Prozac becomes normal
Premium
join:2002-07-25
Martinez, CA
reply to MacGyver
They use one time passwords, already, for non browser applications. They call them "Application-specific passwords".
Some applications that work outside a browser aren't yet compatible with 2-step verification and cannot ask for verification codes.
But "2 step verification" essentially uses one time passwords. You get the one time passwords using SMS, from your phone, when needed.
--
Cheers,
Chuck
Nitecruzr Dot Net
Google+ - Nitecruzr

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
said by cacroll:

But "2 step verification" essentially uses one time passwords. You get the one time passwords using SMS, from your phone, when needed.

or carry the "one-time" pad with 12 passwords.
--

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH
said by AVD:

said by cacroll:

or carry the "one-time" pad with 12 passwords.

Actually when you set it up they do give you a list of emergency one time use' codes to stash in case the normal channels are unavailable. Think they give you 12?

And as noted: It works with standard telephones, too. Basically it must be a phone number but they do either SMS or Voice. Mind you it is a 'they call you, you do not call them' so it must be a set, reliable number.

But given the system is open source, there are numerous non-Android/SMS based authenticator clients you can also use: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Aut···entation
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
they can call you, not smartphone required. I think the pad was 12, might be a few more, I'll check when home.
--

cacroll
Eventually, Prozac becomes normal
Premium
join:2002-07-25
Martinez, CA
reply to Vchat20
said by Vchat20:

It works with standard telephones, too. Basically it must be a phone number but they do either SMS or Voice. Mind you it is a 'they call you, you do not call them' so it must be a set, reliable number.

That's the one drawback with the house phone option - you have to register it in advance - so it's useless when you travel. That's where the burner cell phone is a necessity.
--
Cheers,
Chuck
Nitecruzr Dot Net
Google+ - Nitecruzr