Search similar:

uniqs

BMW Gift
@shawcable.net

BMW Gift to telco_mtl

Anon

to telco_mtl

Thank you !!!

Wow! thanks all for the input and guidance! ok, so I am not in Ontario rightnow, however Im thinking fax and forms on the web and mailing it to my moms, would be just as good? Also, after the transfer if all goes well, It will be picked up right in the parking lot in Ontario by the shipping company and put on a train or semi, straight to my parking lot here in Manitoba. That should be ok? and for real? no safety or etest is needed?(while transferring in Ontario) even better! From my parking lot here, we will either slap a d-plate to get from here in there temporarily for whatever reason. Anyway, so once it is here in Manitoba, my next step would be to provide my full time student docs and have that special full time student sticker? not sure if its a sticker or whatever it is. I have my Ontario plate from my old car with me, that I will transfer the BMW to in Ontario... Does that all makes sense? Is that the right direction? Also, this notary and "swearing thing, does that mean I have to be in Ontario personally? cuz I'm already starting college tomorrow And again, thank you all for the guidance. Have yourselves a splendid 2013 all year round!
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to nitzguy

to nitzguy

Re: [Serious] BMW 2002 from my mother as a gift

said by nitzguy:

So...depending on where you live, you may not require the E-test, but the Safety is a must...even when transferring between family members.

The peterboro does this all the time....remember he has 15 cars on his front yard alone. To transfer alone to a family member you need nothing but the $10.00. To transfer fit to fit you need a safety unless it is a spouse. To transfer fit to fit and a valid plate (not trip permit plate) and non spouse but family you need safety and E-test (south Ontario only).
peterboro

peterboro (banned) to BMW Gift

to BMW Gift

Re: Thank you !!!

said by BMW Gift :

Wow! thanks all for the input and guidance! ok, so I am not in Ontario rightnow, however Im thinking fax and forms on the web and mailing it to my moms, would be just as good? Also, after the transfer if all goes well, It will be picked up right in the parking lot in Ontario by the shipping company and put on a train or semi, straight to my parking lot here in Manitoba. That should be ok? and for real? no safety or etest is needed?(while transferring in Ontario) even better! From my parking lot here, we will either slap a d-plate to get from here in there temporarily for whatever reason. Anyway, so once it is here in Manitoba, my next step would be to provide my full time student docs and have that special full time student sticker? not sure if its a sticker or whatever it is. I have my Ontario plate from my old car with me, that I will transfer the BMW to in Ontario... Does that all makes sense? Is that the right direction? Also, this notary and "swearing thing, does that mean I have to be in Ontario personally? cuz I'm already starting college tomorrow And again, thank you all for the guidance. Have yourselves a splendid 2013 all year round!

Your mother will not be able to do the transfer in Ontario without you. You will need to ship the car to you with her signing the ownership. Then find out what your province needs to satisfy the transfer between family members and have your mother send that as well. Being the government, and wanting their tax, it may be without her physically in your province they will not allow the transfer between family member exemptions.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by peterboro:

said by BMW Gift :

Your mother will not be able to do the transfer in Ontario without you. You will need to ship the car to you with her signing the ownership. Then find out what your province needs to satisfy the transfer between family members and have your mother send that as well. Being the government, and wanting their tax, it may be without her physically in your province they will not allow the transfer between family member exemptions.

+1.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro

Re: [Serious] BMW 2002 from my mother as a gift

said by peterboro:

said by nitzguy:

So...depending on where you live, you may not require the E-test, but the Safety is a must...even when transferring between family members.

The peterboro does this all the time....remember he has 15 cars on his front yard alone. To transfer alone to a family member you need nothing but the $10.00. To transfer fit to fit you need a safety unless it is a spouse. To transfer fit to fit and a valid plate (not trip permit plate) and non spouse but family you need safety and E-test (south Ontario only).

Oops, you're right....but I'm assuming the OP wants Fit to Fit...of course it was only $10 to transfer it into my name ....then I needed the cert to get the plates which was a separate transaction after my mother had already left the DOT.

I was just thinking fit to fit....not all of us have front yards capable of holding a small used car dealership on them .
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to BMW Gift

Premium Member

to BMW Gift
said by BMW Gift :

.... my mother has a bmw 2002 5series car she is giving to me as an early gift for graduating college.

Depending on how well your mother maintained the 5-series and the mileage it has, you *might* want to look that gift horse in the mouth, get her to sell it her & give you the cash instead. Then you go & buy a used 3-series in the US with extended warranty and import it.

Is it a 528/530 or 540?
The 6 cyl. variety is less costly to repair than the V-8 540.

If it's a 540 with
a) >120,000km then you REALLY want to replace the timing chain guides NOW ($1200+), and the water pump, the thermostat, and a few other bits (rad hoses, etc...) while you are at it (figure $2k +tax all-in). Do this every 120,000Km.
b) If it has the ZF Steptronic automatic transmission and the car has >100,000Km - do NOT ever replace the transmission fluid - that can cause more problems than it could potentially solve.

Either model - You probably also want to replace the front suspension ball joints + tie rods @ 100,000Km [540] or 120,000Km [528/530] (~$800-$1000). Ditto for carefully checking the radiator for signs of failure/leaks. Also at that age you will want to make sure that the hood release cable and latching mechanisms are not showing signs of seizing.

Take the car to a good alignment shop (not a dealer) and get the wheels aligned to factory specs (~$100) - the procedure is VERY specific, including adding weight (50Kg IIRC) in the trunk while the alignment is done.

These cars NEED 4 proper winter tires if you are driving in any non-city areas or expect to move when it is snowing, especially the 540. Dunlop Winter Sport 3D is exceptionally good on the 5-series and is priced right.

At that age I suggest you find a good independent BMW mechanic, stay away from the dealer whenever po$$ible, and source major parts from a wrecker when needed/available or order parts from US dealers for 50-70 cents on the dollar vs. here. Electrical/computer repairs can be hellishly expensive out-of-warranty, ie. a water-cooled 540 alternator is $1000+ installed.

Door seals need to be treated every winter to prevent freezing to the doors. Install a new battery every 3 years [540] or 4 years [528/530] as the 5-series really sucks electricity.

www.realoem.com and www.getbmwparts.com are your friends.

That said, the E39 BMW (1997-2003 5-series) is the best 5-series ever and a bloody joy to drive (especially the 540).

Signed,
A former 540 owner

BMW GIFT
@shawcable.net

BMW GIFT

Anon

ay yay yay...its getting complicated now.. lol anyway - ok so I feel comfortable now in terms of requesting the actual province vehicle places the best option. I could get my mom to sign the ownership to me that simple and then ship it rightaway? Is it that simple? along with the Sworn Statement for a Family Gift of a Used Motor Vehicle Form, I found this form on the MTO website... I will inquire more here in Manitoba about how the transfer will be honored here.... Thanks again everyone! As far as selling, I will be looking into that after the summer, my mom has no time - mint condition 174K, and all those maintenance tips! thats great ! Thanks !

lugnut
@communications.com

lugnut

Anon

One last tidbit concerning where exactly you want to register the vehicle. I assume you're under or near 25 years old since you mentioned you're a student.

Licensing the vehicle in ON means you pay ON insurance rates which are insane for a BMW for someone your age. Probably something insane like $4K or $5K per year in your case.

Manitoba has provincial insurance rates which are well below what you'd pay for the same vehicle in Ontario.

The savings may be much greater in the long run if you plate the vehicle in MB regardless of the sales tax savings.