how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

singerie3

join:2008-10-12
Saint-Constant, QC

zazeen / acanac iptv going live soon - website updated

what do you think about the price guys ? 40$ for the basic package, but they seems to have some nice stuff....

it's on zazeen.com

Jeffer71

join:2008-09-13
Carrying Place, ON

Don't think it will be available in my area anytime soon but would definitely have a go at it if it ever comes this way.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to singerie3

I was hoping to sign up my grandmother for this. She only watches a few multicultural channels. Was hoping Acanac was going to to offer a basic package with just locals and other must carry for a lower price than Bell/Rogers, and then give us the option to add multicultural options al la carte for a low price. Looks like they threw in some more popular channels like HGTV, TSN, and Food Network causing the starting price to be a bit high.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to singerie3

They don't seem to have CTV Montreal, or CBC Montreal. You would think the basic Canadian networks local channels would be a pre-requisite for offering service in Montreal...

$40 for basic TV is way too much considering FibeTV is $24.24/mth for the basic package (all fees included), with a free STB...
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

singerie3

Saint-Constant, QC
reply to singerie3

quebec and ontario seems to be the same right now. this will probably be fixed soon.

rednekcowboy

join:2012-03-21
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to Guspaz

I sent them an email asking all kinds of questions.

One of which was 39.95 is the beta cost, but they don't say how much the monthly cost will be after beta.

As far as the channels go, they do say on their website that they will be constantly changing, removing and or adding channels.

I know it's comparing apples to oranges, but compared to Videotron's service, this would be much cheaper for me as with Videotron, I have to get the basic package + the anglo package which costs me almost $100/month with HD and all the other fees added to that.

This looks like a viable alternative to me as their basic package is quite full and I probably wouldn't need anything but that. I would go with FibeTV but I want no part of Bell's Internet whatsoever--just too rich for my blood with their low caps.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON

The $40 is the regular price according to the website. You get a $10 monthly credit during the beta period.

rednekcowboy

Reviews:
·Acanac

said by yyzlhr:

The $40 is the regular price according to the website. You get a $10 monthly credit during the beta period.

You may want to check that again, unless I'm missing something it says on top $39.95-Beta Pre Order

It does say that you will get a $10/month credit on your account for everymonth that you remain in Beta, however it doesn't say how much the monthly service will cost.

singerie3

Saint-Constant, QC

said by rednekcowboy:

said by yyzlhr:

You may want to check that again, unless I'm missing something it says on top $39.95-Beta Pre Order

It does say that you will get a $10/month credit on your account for everymonth that you remain in Beta, however it doesn't say how much the monthly service will cost.

i understood the same as yyzlhr

Basic tv package 39.95 / beta preorder click here

not

Beta basic tv backage 39.95$

rednekcowboy

Could very well be, guess we'll find out when the answer my inquiries.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON

Click for full size
Actually, it seems like you only accumulate credits during the beta period which are then applied to the MSF after the product exits beta.

rednekcowboy

Yup, that's what I said:

quote:
It does say that you will get a $10/month credit on your account for everymonth that you remain in Beta

dan mackay

join:2008-10-11
Barrie, ON
reply to singerie3

dont think its available in my area yet either.. for some reason

singerie3

Saint-Constant, QC
reply to singerie3

»www.zazeen.com/cgi-bin/orders.cg···ptv.html

beta page UP

ohmer

join:2003-08-06
Quebec, QC
reply to singerie3

40$ for that... wow worse than videotron and bhell!

Spare

join:2004-04-14
min2p6

Show me a basic package from any provider from Ontario that gives you

Animal planet HD
Space HD
Discovery HD
TSN HD
TSN 2 HD
Comedy HD
Bravo HD
DYI HD
Slice HD
Food HD

Plus Time shifting HD for networks

For $40

But would like to see the a la-cart pricing

Gixxer

join:2008-08-27
St Catharines, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Bell Fibe
·Cogeco Cable

said by Spare:

Show me a basic package from any provider from Ontario that gives you

Animal planet HD
Space HD
Discovery HD
TSN HD
TSN 2 HD
Comedy HD
Bravo HD
DYI HD
Slice HD
Food HD

Plus Time shifting HD for networks

For $40

But would like to see the a la-cart pricing

Agreed, this isn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be.
--
I love fish sticks. I love putting fish sticks in my mouth.

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
reply to singerie3

How will this service be delivered, over the top? Will it be 720p 60fps?

rosenqui
Premium
join:2004-05-28
Kanata, ON
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

$40 for basic TV is way too much considering FibeTV is $24.24/mth for the basic package (all fees included), with a free STB...

In Ontario FibeTV is $37.95/month plus $3 "digital services fee", plus LPIF fee. There's a lot of fine print too; I gather you pay $13.86/month to rent their PVR if you don't have a Bell bundle.

As usual, beware the fine print with Bell/Rogers/Videotron.

I think Zazeen will be competitive but I hope that they eventually offer a ~$20 basic package with the mandated "must carry" channels and then allow pick & pay for others. One of the complaints many people have with the incumbents is their forced bundling of channels, making you take a more expensive tier just to get one or two extra channels you want.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
reply to Cloneman

said by Cloneman:

How will this service be delivered, over the top? Will it be 720p 60fps?

It's OTT, but will only work if you have Distributel or Acanac Internet. The quality will automatically adjust based on your connection speed.

BoogaBooga

join:2004-06-12
Canada
reply to singerie3

What kind of hardware is needed? Do they provide a set-top box?

Edit: It appears they have a '$75 STB'

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to Spare

Time shifting is not what it used to be,the networks stopped airing shows in each time zone at the appropriate time. I find Winnipeg is lumped into Eastern time, and Calgary (2hrs later then Toronto) is lumped in with Vancouver.

It used to be great to have the timeshifting and the Rogers pvr, but no longer.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

1 edit
reply to rosenqui

said by rosenqui:

said by Guspaz:

In Ontario FibeTV is $37.95/month plus $3 "digital services fee", plus LPIF fee. There's a lot of fine print too; I gather you pay $13.86/month to rent their PVR if you don't have a Bell bundle.

As usual, beware the fine print with Bell/Rogers/Videotron.

I think Zazeen will be competitive but I hope that they eventually offer a ~$20 basic package with the mandated "must carry" channels and then allow pick & pay for others. One of the complaints many people have with the incumbents is their forced bundling of channels, making you take a more expensive tier just to get one or two extra channels you want.

I can't speak to Fibe pricing in Ontairo, but in Quebec, Fibe's basic offer is:

The Basic (including HD)
$9.95 per month for months 1-6
$24.24 per month after
No extra fees
STB included
Includes 59 tv/radio channels (but no Space, Food, etc).

So, Zazeen's channel lineup isn't too bad, but they're missing most local channels for Montreal (no CTV, no CBC), and they're still calling it a "basic" package. It costs a lot more than Bell's basic package... If the competitive feature is that it has more channels, they shouldn't call it basic.

EDIT: Here's the channels in Bell's $24.24 package:

--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

No Sportsnet available at all makes it a non-starter for me, and too bad, I was truly/seriously interested in this...

But since I can't even get it even if I buy the package and am stuck with TSN, I'll have to figure out another way to get Blue Jays games this year.

oldsam

join:2011-05-30
reply to singerie3

Sucks that it's available only to Acanac and Distributel customers. Looks like a very attractive package, but I'm pretty happy with my current internet provider.

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
reply to singerie3

Wake me when I can get RDS & TSN only for 6$/month

I wonder if they'll be pushing 60fps on this service. A lot of internet video is 30fps (which is fine, but is somewhat mediocre for some sports , and a few other things).

Acanac Inc
Premium
join:2007-03-05
Mississauga, ON

We are not done with the channel lineup. Specifically on the Quebec side we are still going to add allot more content. (At this moment it just has a copy of Ontario.) Expect them to be added in the next few days.

We can do 60FPS however we will be sticking with 30FPS for now. This is at least until we get the next batch of encoders. The higher frame rates reduces the amount of channels per encoder.

Rickkins

join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·TekSavvy Cable

2 edits
reply to singerie3

I pay $57 to videotron tv in kwebec.... but I have a 20 channel custom hd package with that. Just saying.

Edit 1:Ok, I just checked their "basic package", and it's not all that bad.
All that's missing for me to consider it seriously, would be RDS-HD... an absolute here for the Habs games(should this damn lockout ever end). And absolute must. Still just saying.....

Edit 2: Crap, there's time I'll never get back. Just read in the faqs that one needs to have acanac as their isp to subscribe to zazeen.
Sorry, but that's a deal breaker.

Acanac Inc
Premium
join:2007-03-05
Mississauga, ON

RDS will be added. At the moment you would need Acanac or Distributel internet service. With that said we are looking for more ISP's.

You can find more info here. »www.zazeen.com/isp-partnership.html

graniterock

join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

1 edit

I curious to know why it is restricted by ISP. ie Is there a technical or customer service reason to restrict the service by ISP? Why not be like netflix and availible to all?

Edit:
Another random thought. Once the core service is running well it would awesome to get a PS3 / Xbox client combined with a cloud based PVR.