Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BoogaBooga

join:2004-06-12
Canada
reply to singerie3

Re: zazeen / acanac iptv going live soon - website updated

What kind of hardware is needed? Do they provide a set-top box?

Edit: It appears they have a '$75 STB'

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Spare
Time shifting is not what it used to be,the networks stopped airing shows in each time zone at the appropriate time. I find Winnipeg is lumped into Eastern time, and Calgary (2hrs later then Toronto) is lumped in with Vancouver.

It used to be great to have the timeshifting and the Rogers pvr, but no longer.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

1 edit
reply to rosenqui
said by rosenqui:

said by Guspaz:

$40 for basic TV is way too much considering FibeTV is $24.24/mth for the basic package (all fees included), with a free STB...

In Ontario FibeTV is $37.95/month plus $3 "digital services fee", plus LPIF fee. There's a lot of fine print too; I gather you pay $13.86/month to rent their PVR if you don't have a Bell bundle.

As usual, beware the fine print with Bell/Rogers/Videotron.

I think Zazeen will be competitive but I hope that they eventually offer a ~$20 basic package with the mandated "must carry" channels and then allow pick & pay for others. One of the complaints many people have with the incumbents is their forced bundling of channels, making you take a more expensive tier just to get one or two extra channels you want.

I can't speak to Fibe pricing in Ontairo, but in Quebec, Fibe's basic offer is:

The Basic (including HD)
$9.95 per month for months 1-6
$24.24 per month after
No extra fees
STB included
Includes 59 tv/radio channels (but no Space, Food, etc).

So, Zazeen's channel lineup isn't too bad, but they're missing most local channels for Montreal (no CTV, no CBC), and they're still calling it a "basic" package. It costs a lot more than Bell's basic package... If the competitive feature is that it has more channels, they shouldn't call it basic.

EDIT: Here's the channels in Bell's $24.24 package:

--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
No Sportsnet available at all makes it a non-starter for me, and too bad, I was truly/seriously interested in this...

But since I can't even get it even if I buy the package and am stuck with TSN, I'll have to figure out another way to get Blue Jays games this year.

oldsam

join:2011-05-30
reply to singerie3
Sucks that it's available only to Acanac and Distributel customers. Looks like a very attractive package, but I'm pretty happy with my current internet provider.

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
reply to singerie3
Wake me when I can get RDS & TSN only for 6$/month

I wonder if they'll be pushing 60fps on this service. A lot of internet video is 30fps (which is fine, but is somewhat mediocre for some sports , and a few other things).

Acanac Inc
Premium
join:2007-03-05
Mississauga, ON
We are not done with the channel lineup. Specifically on the Quebec side we are still going to add allot more content. (At this moment it just has a copy of Ontario.) Expect them to be added in the next few days.

We can do 60FPS however we will be sticking with 30FPS for now. This is at least until we get the next batch of encoders. The higher frame rates reduces the amount of channels per encoder.

Rickkins

join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·TekSavvy Cable

2 edits
reply to singerie3
I pay $57 to videotron tv in kwebec.... but I have a 20 channel custom hd package with that. Just saying.

Edit 1:Ok, I just checked their "basic package", and it's not all that bad.
All that's missing for me to consider it seriously, would be RDS-HD... an absolute here for the Habs games(should this damn lockout ever end). And absolute must. Still just saying.....

Edit 2: Crap, there's time I'll never get back. Just read in the faqs that one needs to have acanac as their isp to subscribe to zazeen.
Sorry, but that's a deal breaker.

Acanac Inc
Premium
join:2007-03-05
Mississauga, ON
RDS will be added. At the moment you would need Acanac or Distributel internet service. With that said we are looking for more ISP's.

You can find more info here. »www.zazeen.com/isp-partnership.html

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

1 edit
I curious to know why it is restricted by ISP. ie Is there a technical or customer service reason to restrict the service by ISP? Why not be like netflix and availible to all?

Edit:
Another random thought. Once the core service is running well it would awesome to get a PS3 / Xbox client combined with a cloud based PVR.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
reply to singerie3
If Distributel could get onto the Cogeco aggregate POI for Ontario this is something I would love to give a go. Until then, no dice.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
reply to graniterock
said by graniterock:

I curious to know why it is restricted by ISP. ie Is there a technical or customer service reason to restrict the service by ISP? Why not be like netflix and availible to all?

It's one of the conditions associated with their BDU license.

Also content providers don't want a service like that to emerge. Hence why none have ever existed.

adisor19

join:2004-10-11
reply to singerie3
I've preordered the service. I'm already with ACANAC 30/3 cable and I can't wait to call Bell and get rid of ExpressVu ! I already transferred my Bell phone line to Acanac so this will be the last incumbent service in my house to get rid of ! I'm eagerly awaiting this moment !

Adi

d_source

join:2011-01-18

1 edit
reply to singerie3
Will they be adding NHL CI as an add-on? I need to watch my Oiler games in Toronto. I also need to record most Oiler games as they start WAY to late for my viewing pleasure.

EDIT: I'm a little confused on how the STB/DVR works. Do you need to buy the $75 option or can you record everythign to the cloud?

Also, ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX east - What location? I'm getting Detroit's version now and hopefully that's what Zazeen provides.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to singerie3
I'm curious to see what they're à la carte will be like. If I can actually get a bunch of specific channels for around $10, I might jump on it.

I also know a lot of people who want to cut the cord but still like to have their sports and news on TV, so if they can get just that a la carte as well, I bet they can find quite a lot of people interested.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
said by ekster:

I'm curious to see what they're à la carte will be like. If I can actually get a bunch of specific channels for around $10, I might jump on it.

I also know a lot of people who want to cut the cord but still like to have their sports and news on TV, so if they can get just that a la carte as well, I bet they can find quite a lot of people interested.

Pretty sure any al la carte stuff needs to be ordered with the basic package.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
reply to d_source
said by d_source:

Also, ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX east - What location? I'm getting Detroit's version now and hopefully that's what Zazeen provides.

They're licensed to distribute Detroit, Buffalo, Plattsburgh and (I believe) Burlington, VT, at least among the few that I remember off the top of my head.

One can assume that what you get will depend on your location. If you're in the GTA or Hamilton/Niagara you very well may end up with Buffalo rather than Detroit.

silvercat

join:2007-11-07
reply to Acanac Inc
No Rogers Sportsnet channels ? That may be a deal breaker for Blue Jays fans

rednekcowboy

join:2012-03-21
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

I can't speak to Fibe pricing in Ontairo, but in Quebec, Fibe's basic offer is:

The Basic (including HD)
$9.95 per month for months 1-6
$24.24 per month after
No extra fees
STB included
Includes 59 tv/radio channels (but no Space, Food, etc).

So, Zazeen's channel lineup isn't too bad, but they're missing most local channels for Montreal (no CTV, no CBC), and they're still calling it a "basic" package. It costs a lot more than Bell's basic package... If the competitive feature is that it has more channels, they shouldn't call it basic.

EDIT: Here's the channels in Bell's $24.24 package:
[att=1]

Yes, but in order to get Fibe, you have to subscribe to Bell internet and that will absolutely never happen with me, at least.

elec999

join:2005-12-19
reply to singerie3
Do you need to be with acanac to get this?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to singerie3
Yes, so it's analogous to Fibe; you need to subscribe to Acanac or Distributel. Neither of whom offer VDSL2 service.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to singerie3
I thought about it and looked it over.. I'll pass, 40 bucks a month for 50 channels (+stb) , of which half I'll never watch, is just not worth it to me.

Untill the CRTC gets off it's hiney and stops forcing "basic cable" down our throats, with Canadian networks that just simulcast American ones, it will always be to expensive.

I want to be able to pick ALL my channels ALA Carte PERIOD!
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Spare

join:2004-04-14
min2p6
reply to Guspaz
Faked going in bell site as being in Quebec but in your fine print as well as Ontario it states in a bundle with home phone which means in Ontario another $5.00 on top of that if you don't have home phone . Don't now if it means the same thin in Quebec.

arahman56

join:2011-08-11
Etobicoke, ON
reply to silvercat
Did you really expect Rogers to provide their channel so easily?

silvercat

join:2007-11-07
said by arahman56:

Did you really expect Rogers to provide their channel so easily?

Guess not.

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to singerie3
Just for context but there was a promo in december. I am having fibe installed next week:

2 receivers (HD PVR and HD) - keep both after 3 years
Basic Channels
15 a la carte
$48 ($33.96 for 6 months)

Fibe 15 75GB limit (sob)
$53.95 ($39.95 for 6 months)

No phone (moving over to VOIP.ms from Videotron as we so rarely use the home line)

The TV is a great value offset by the sh!t internet you are forced to take. I tried many many times to get them to waive the internet requirement.

I'll add another 75GB after I am convinced they are honoring the original promotion. I'll have Ebox for at least a month to keep me safe

edit: this is in Quebec

Rickkins

join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to singerie3
Well, just for some info, I called distributel about their 30meg cable internet service, and was told that I could not use my Motorola sb-6120 docssis 3 modem with their service. Given as how I know for an absolute fact that the 6120 is compatible to the Videotron network, as I am using it to post this message, it's pretty much a deal breaker.

So, looks like that's it for me. I would have at least tried it for a month or two, while keeping my videotron cable tv hook up just in case. But, alas, t'was not to be.

Next..!!

rosenqui
Premium
join:2004-05-28
Kanata, ON

1 recommendation

reply to singerie3

Re: Zazeen vs. Bell / Rogers / Shaw Direct

I spent a while last night looking over the channel line-up and fine print on the TV packages from Bell / Rogers / Shaw Direct (our TV choices in most of Ontario). I posted my findings in this article:
Zazeen - shaking up the Canadian TV landscape
Let me know if any of you spot any glaring mistakes.

adisor19

join:2004-10-11
said by rosenqui:

I spent a while last night looking over the channel line-up and fine print on the TV packages from Bell / Rogers / Shaw Direct (our TV choices in most of Ontario). I posted my findings in this article:

Zazeen - shaking up the Canadian TV landscape
Let me know if any of you spot any glaring mistakes.

Very good article and a very informative write up ! Thank you !

funny0

join:2010-12-22
reply to singerie3

Re: zazeen / acanac iptv going live soon - website updated

if youwant those time old packages go get them form the big boys , if i were new i'd be looking to add my own content and show off a few free shows to get peeps lured in...
then you also dont have to go so ape crazy high on rates and as things develop you'd have a package set people want
but hey im doing my own thing and i've got very differant ideas and these people that want the tsn and whatever let em get it elsehwere if they want that so bad. NO really the space channel and TSN?
boy if the sci fi coming out of them lately is indication of it all then they should just rename themselves the boring channel.
and sports who cares....hockey is dead thanks to greed....and no way you will get liscensing cheap same with baseball and basketball cause its the same owners that locked out the players for hockey that own them all. as too football well gee a bunch a big guys beating up on each other to move a leather ball around and getting brain damage to boot. all these violent sports will be gone one day....