spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Aviator168

join:2012-12-29

Use smart phone without a data plan.

Anyone know how to use a smart phone without a data plan? The carriers force you to buy the data plan even you don't want it. I only go to the internet when wifi is available and data plane is not needed.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
Carry two devices -- a phone and a WIFI tablet, etc. Or you can use a smart phone as long as you don't use it as a phone and just don't get a phone plan at all. As you stated, the carrier requires the data plan for the device.

b_p_smith
Premium
join:2002-02-13
Merrickville, ON
reply to Aviator168
I just upgraded both my youngun's to previously enjoyed smartphones (Samsung Focuses). Both are on prepaid services with no data. I just popped in their SIM cards, went into the appropriate setting on the phone and turned off data support. Works like a charm. They're on two separate (Canadian) carriers and I can't imagine why the carrier would know or care. The regular phone/SMS stuff works, and when they're near WiFi they can surf.

Now, carriers require you to have a data plan to *buy* a smartphone from them, at discounted prices. But I can't imagine why you couldn't buy an unlocked or used phone from elsewhere and just pop in your SIM. Maybe some US carriers work differently, which would suck.

Brad.
--
Xplornet WiMAX -} Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH running DD-WRT -} about 13 machines running everything you can think of.

broccoli

join:2007-11-29
Portland, OR
reply to Aviator168
said by Aviator168:

The carriers force you to buy the data plan even you don't want it.

Only if you want a subsidized (discounted) phone. Either pay full price and/or don't get a carrier-branded phone (like a Nexus 4).

Aviator168

join:2012-12-29
Even if you bring your own phone. They still force to get the data plan.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
The method that works for me is to use a non-4G smartphone like the Nokia E7.

Hagar

join:2004-10-31
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Aviator168
You need to tell us which carrier you are with. On some it is doable but often there are other alternatives that are better.

Tell us more of your scenario. Are you on a family plan? Do you want to reuse an existing phone or are you buying a new one?

The more information of what you have and what you want will help.

brg

join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
reply to Aviator168
There are lots of MVNOs out there that you can use a smartphone with no "data plan."

I use a Palm Pre 2 with PagePlus with no dataplan (well, not much of one right now). It's a Verizon reseller, and you can bring your own post-paid VZW 3G (unfortunately, not 4G, but if you are using WiFi only that shouldn't be an issue for you) smartphone over. You could do pay-as-you-go for as little as $.04/minute, $0.05/txt, or you could get one of the inexpensive plans. I'm on a plan that included 250/250 min/txts (more than I personally need) and 10MB (nothing, I know, but enought to occasionally check email) for $12/mo.

There are a bunch of similar GSM/SIM phone resellers as well...

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Aviator168
Contract plans will generally auto-upgrade you to a data plan, as mentioned by their agreements. There are a slew of pre-paid SIM card plans where you can choose the plan of your choice and that's what you pay for, no more, no less. Check out Howard Forums, lots of good discussion there.
--
If you can't open it, you don't own it.

marathonmike
Beer. You can only rent it

join:2001-12-12
Princeton, NJ
reply to Aviator168
Verizon wil let you use an older smartphone without a data plan. I have a samsung i760 no data plan required.
--
Go desiel
Expand your moderator at work

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:11
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Aviator168

Re: Use smart phone without a data plan.

said by Aviator168:

Even if you bring your own phone. They still force to get the data plan.

They;ll only force you to get a data plan if you're on a provider that doesn't use SIM cards, such as Verizon or Sprint, otherwise all you need to do is buy a SIM card from the provider and get a plan activated on that card than just put it into your phone.

Hagar

join:2004-10-31
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·AT&T U-Verse
JCohen, most providers behave reasonable as you describe but AT&T in the USA (they use SIMs) will add a data plan if they recognize your phone as a Smartphone.

They decide what is a smart phone, the explanation on why they add a data plan varies, but all come down to; ‘they are doing you a favor by charging you for a data plan because you are not capable of controlling your data usage’.

I am very capable of controlling my data but was not capable of staying with AT&T, if you let them treat you like a door mat then they will. I am now using a MVNO of AT&T and paying less and getting more.

Interesting the Aviator168 has not been back and gave no information on what location, provider and existing plan/contract. No much we can do for Aviator168.

Sharon7119

@rr.com
I have an LG Octane, which is only a phone. I have a family plan w/Verizon which has texting. I am able to send photos to people. My screen is cracked & unreadable. My son has an Samsung smartphone 4G that he doesn't use anymore. Both kids have $30 data plans, I do not & don't want one. Can this phone be used just as a phone that I can text & send pictures? I live in WNY.

n4bkn

join:2003-12-11
Memphis, TN
I am using my fourth smart phone without a data plan, but I've been grandfathered. My use of these models predates the data plan requirements of AT&T Mobility or Cingular. (This doesn't help you, I'm sure.)

I also don't buy subsidized phone from my carrier, lightly used is good enough.

drmac

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Aviator168
Verizon (today) sold us a discount iPhone (free) with the minimum data plan (very small). There was no charge for the data plan. We did this at a Verizon store.

tdumaine
Premium
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA
said by drmac :

Verizon (today) sold us a discount iPhone (free) with the minimum data plan (very small). There was no charge for the data plan. We did this at a Verizon store.

You better check again, nothing is "free"