All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Suddenlink
join:2009-08-26

Suddenlink to shelby10763

to shelby10763

Re: New reason to raise cable bills

Hi - Tina from Suddenlink here. Thanks, shelby10763 for posting a link to our website specific to the dispute www.suddenlinkonyourside.com. There is an FAQ section of this site that addresses several questions regarding negotiations and increases in costs. You can also engage with us regarding this topic on our Suddenlink On Your Side Facebook page here: www.facebook.com/suddenlinkonyourside.

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle

Premium Member

I find it absolutely HILARIOUS that SL would absorb some of the 8.5% increase each year on just tv. I've never heard of a business making a move that would cost them profit. But wait, I guess that could be covered with the increase to the internet pricing. Then there's the ridiculous never ending equipment rental fees. So yes, I guess that's good for you SL! Absorb that 2% of the price increase or whatever it is. While we're at it, why don't you guys release the ACTUAL prices you are being required to pay and the suggested increase? Transparency please! You are negotiating with our monthly bill for our service, right?

I mean when you step back and look at it as a whole, the channel owner really isn't doing anything wrong. They are just trying to get as much money as they can out of their product. What company doesn't do this? In fact, isn't that what your local ISP does when they charge a high base rate and then add caps? Anyone looked at their cell phone bills?

I just absolutely HATE that this big a deal gets made from these disputes but no facts are ever delivered on the subject other than to make the content owner look like the devil.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

I'd be willing to bet, one side or both, have non-disclosure clauses in these agreements.
jdmm72
join:2002-02-12
Cary, NC

jdmm72 to moldypickle

to moldypickle
said by moldypickle:

I find it absolutely HILARIOUS that SL would absorb some of the 8.5% increase each year on just tv. I've never heard of a business making a move that would cost them profit...

Actually, you'd be surprised at how many companies try to absorb the costs. The food industry has been very public about this recently. Fast food companies (McDs, BK, Wendy's) have absorbed fairly large percentage increases. Canned food companies (Conagra and more) also has come out publicly recently.

Ultimately, business will past the cost on to consumers when it becomes unprofitable.

Raising prices/rates is a risky proposition, there is only so much profit to be made before people bail for greener pastures. If you raise them and start losing customers, your revenue goes down, then you must lower them EVEN more to gain the customers back.

Ultimately, SL has to compete with Dish Network and DirecTV, and for the most part do compete price wise. Dish just promised to raise their rates, and DirecTV is always a little more expensive, so what does SL have to lose?

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle

Premium Member

Every time I've called, both satellites have been EXTREMELY higher to get the shows I wanted, but only after the first 12 months. There was also them wanting money upfront for the equipment. And the 2 year contract. But even if they are absorbing the cost increase, it's clearly made back up in the year end price increase. If you want me to believe that SL isn't making money hand over foot and trying to make it look like they are being hurt here, then they need to start posting the facts.

But even going to greener pastures is only a mild worry at best. From where I sit and available tv options, my money won't be going to a competitor, it'll be buying an antenna. Besides, haven't you seen all the articles about how cable cutting isn't actually happening? LOL

And I sure that some companies are absorbing the instant increase, but watching the prices go up over time, it looks like they are covering the increase withing a year or two with far more gradual price increases. I mean just in my life time i can remember going to mcdonalds for half the total price, lol
jdmm72
join:2002-02-12
Cary, NC

jdmm72

After you factor out the "new customer" subsidy, Suddenlink is very competitive with Dish. I would consider switching after my contract. Oh, and I don't like contracts.