More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to scrummie02

MVM

to scrummie02

Re: FIOS TV/Splitter and Ethernet

Leave the splitters as they are. You still need both the ONT and the Actiontec connected to the coax after you switch your WAN connection to cat5 for the ASA.

See options 6 or 7 here:
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

scrummie02
Bentley
Premium Member
join:2004-04-16
Arlington, VA

scrummie02

Premium Member

Cool thanks, I guess option 8 would work as well?

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Yes, option 8 would also work.

scrummie02
Bentley
Premium Member
join:2004-04-16
Arlington, VA

scrummie02

Premium Member

said by More Fiber:

Yes, option 8 would also work.

Thanks a lot. It seems I'm finding any MOCA WAN bridges isn't happening unless I buy a used one from Ebay and I'd rather not.

Instead of the thrid router, since I can have multplie vlans on my asa, can't I just put the actiontec in it' own separate VLAN?
scrummie02

scrummie02 to More Fiber

Premium Member

to More Fiber
I called yesterday and the technician told me to unplug the actiontec via the coax to the ONT, I didn't think that was right so I didn't do it and I'm still on the COAX, am I to assume he is just dumb or didn't want to it?

Should I call back and if I get someone who doesn't know ask for someone else?

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

As I said before, do not disconnect the Actiontec from the Coax. Doing so will cause you to lose STB functionality (VOD, guide data, widgets, etc).

When the tech enters the command to switch you from a coax to a cat5 WAN connection, the Actiontec will automatically detect the change. On the My Network; Network Connections page, you will see Broadband Connection (Coax) change from connected to down and Broadband Connection (Ethernet) change from down to connected.
Springbok
join:2002-09-13
Leander, TX

Springbok to scrummie02

to scrummie02
said by scrummie02:

Instead of the thrid router, since I can have multplie vlans on my asa, can't I just put the actiontec in it' own separate VLAN?

I thought about doing that, but it won't work. Part of the 3rd router setup is to have the LAN of the intermediate router use the same subnet as the main router WAN and to hand out to the Actiontec WAN port the identical IPA as used on the main router WAN. If you eliminate the intermediate router and define a VLAN for giving this IPA to the Actiontec, then your main router will see the same IPA on the WAN and on this VLAN and routing won't work.