uniqs

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Would it be a good idea to one day upgrade the gpu...

On my 2009 imac? Would you do it?

Mine is an i5-750.

I've looked online, and people have not only successfully upgraded to a 6970m, but did it with the 6970m having the same temps as the newer macs that it is housed in.

I also found out my imac can do 16 (and possibly 32) gig ram.

I could also replace the hdd with an sdd. Maybe the drive slot as well like I did the macbook...

Only issue I have is that the apple 6970m is currently $600...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

I would do an SSD and RAM but not the graphics. Not worth the money. If I were really wanting that kind of upgrade I would put it on eBay and put the $600 plus SSD dough with it and buy a newer refurb from the Apple daut kaum store if the math worked out well. Have to consider your time for the labor and the minor risk to screwing up the upgrade and possibly damaging it. S-happens and you would be surprised what suckers will pay for used Macs on ebay.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

1 edit

Metatron2008

Premium Member

I've fixed monitors (dead capacitors), laptops (such as my macbook, which I took apart and replaced the ram with 8 gb, the 256 mb hdd with a samsung 830 ssd (128), and the superdrive with a 128 gb ssd), I've replaced laptop gpus, I'm not too concerned about screwing things up, and if I do I know how to fix it if I screw up.

The only issue is $600, which I agree is too much for a gpu upgrade, but surely that price will go down..

Not only that, but I'd have to get the last of the fat imacs to get a 6970m, and that would cost far more then doing a ssd+gpu upgrade.
Metatron2008

Metatron2008

Premium Member

So??

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008
$600? that's insane... And no, it won't get cheaper...

Why invest this much in a 3 year old machine? You must know how Apple likes to obsolete their machines from new OS upgrades... two years down the road you'll likely not be able to upgrade to a new OS version, regardless of what video card and how much ram you have.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008
So not worth it.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

4 edits

skeechan to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008
Slightly less than $600

What do you need faster graphics for? If it is that important you could do a saved search for that Apple PN and pounce on one if it happens to come up cheaper. Meanwhile the processor may be socketed, Scroogle about an i7 processor upgrade. I tried a processor upgrade in my 2008 iMac and it wouldn't take it even though the BTO model offered the C2QX as an option so I am not sure if there are different FW versions for the i5 and i7 models. I wouldn't think so.

EDIT Another one a bit more teh cheaper