Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Riplin

join:2002-05-13
canada
reply to spock

Re: 30 dvd's down 100's to go

If you bought the dvd imo you should be able to do whatever the (pardon the expression) you want with it.

You know what peeves me, I pay for a cable sub and you can't even legally dl a show you missed cause its illegal? wt?

analog andy

join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC
reply to spock
said by spock:

Is it illegal now break the digital encryption and make a copy of your DVD ?

Yes but they can kiss my ass and send me to jail for using my own property any way I want in the privacy of my home.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Riplin
said by Riplin:

Only thing about dvd's is the low resolution. Should be allowed to dl 1080p rips of all your paid movies and not face the wrath of the likes of Volta$$ and Morganturd

Oh yea forgot Caniprey

It would be nice in theory, but I sort of think of it differently. Why would movie studios bother going through all the effort of upgrading a movie to new technology if people didn't have to buy it?

If everyone who bought a DVD was entitled to a free 1080p copy of the movie (and maybe 4k when that comes out), whats the incentive for the movie studio to bother doing high def masters of older films.

I think you should be able to back up in the same quality, and format shift in the same quality. I don't think the copyright should extend to an upgrade though. As a fan of movies, I think the studios need incentives to upgrade to new technology. They won't do it pro bono.

Sukunai
Premium
join:2008-05-07
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to analog andy
I went the route of dvd to stored images, and then the drive died.

Let me tell ya, seeing a dead drive with 2TB of movies just gone, is VERY discouraging.

Seeing more than one drive die in a years time, was also enlightening.

Sure I have all the original dvds, and sure I can always just do it again. But, I noticed, I watch the movies just as often from a disc as I did from an image. Not enough times.

Then I discovered Netflix, and yes we have all heard how they suck for movies. Well according to some. I have watched several movies for the first time with them though. I recently watched Red Tails (2012) as a first time on Netflix.

Yes I realize, Netflix is streamed and not always in gorgeous mega resolution. But in my case, 90% of what I am watching, I am only watching because I am bored. And it is often old content, and a TV show, and resolution is not even important.

I think in the end, there are just not enough movies made in the last 20 years to merit 'decent resolution', and with most old films it doesn't matter.

And unless you watched the film twice in a year, it likely is wasting drive space, even if you are swimming in drive space.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
I dropped a drive, managed to get about 60% of it back, the rest I obtained elsewhere....

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to zod5000
said by zod5000:

If everyone who bought a DVD was entitled to a free 1080p copy of the movie (and maybe 4k when that comes out), whats the incentive for the movie studio to bother doing high def masters of older films.

Yea, but a real pisser when you're a legitimate buyer of movies and you discover that the new transfers were the same source as the original and your fancy new blu-ray disc has the exact same content and quality as the DVD that came before it. There are plenty of discs where there's no difference between laser disc dvd HD DVD blu-ray.

Sukunai
Premium
join:2008-05-07
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to analog andy
I prefer to watch old stuff in the manner in which I watched it originally myself.

When I first started watching Netflix one of the first shows I watched was Kolchak the Night Stalker. Man it was cool watching that schlock again, and it was not a problem watching it in totally crappy resolution like I remembered it.

I watch a lot of documentaries also, and often crappy is all you have to look forward to.

In some cases, all a blueray disc is to me, is several gigs worth of data storage capacity. What bothers me about blueray, is how you can get a film set on dvd and it is 10 dvds, and then you get the same collection of media, and it is still about 10 discs.

WTF? I thought blueray was supposed to hold about 40 gigs of data? So why is it not possible to put 10 5 gig discs in 2 blueray discs? Especially considering most dvd films are about cramming on a lot of schlock that would not even be required to do multiple times on blueray sets.

analog andy

Surrey, BC
reply to analog andy
I finally got around to setting up my 50 LG Plasma at work and been doing some testings with the MKV files from Handbrake.

After changing some setting on the TV the dvd version of Happy Feet the Handbrake RF 19 setting MKV looked pretty good, not quite DVD quality but at 15 feet away you couldn't tell the difference.

I also tested it out with 2 Fast 2 Furious DVD one converted at RF 19 and the other at FR 18. The RF 18 looked a little cleaner and file size it was only 200mb more so I'll keep converting MY DVD with RF 18 instead of 19.

gnumantsc

join:2003-07-23
reply to analog andy
With that much time vested in converting DVDs to a digital format one would have to be crazy not to have a NAS with Raid 1 which would mirror the contents of one drive to another.
--
Teksolution - The solution for all your computer problems!

analog andy

Surrey, BC
said by gnumantsc:

With that much time vested in converting DVDs to a digital format one would have to be crazy not to have a NAS with Raid 1 which would mirror the contents of one drive to another.

Cheaper just to have a second or third backup and give out a set to friends and family. Someone will always have a disk.

Once BR is replaced with something better and bigger capacity it won't be hard to store a few TB on a few disks. Hell eventually 1tb USB sticks will be common enough.