uniqs
share rss forum feed

analog andy

join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC
reply to lugnut

Re: 30 dvd's down 100's to go

said by lugnut :

Figure you're going to burn out at least three or more DVD drives ripping them all as well. Check how hot the disks are coming out after you rip two or three in a row and you'll see what I mean.

That's what's been stopping me from ripping and archiving all my DVD and Music CD collection.

If it weren't for bill C-11 I'd say just get on bittorrent and download them but the 5-OH have ruined that option for everyone now.

Yah figured my laptop dvd drive will eventually go. Depending on how long it'll take I might torrent some of them.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
said by analog andy:

Depending on how long it'll take I might torrent some of them.

That would be a very bad idea. Get an external DVD drive, and save the laptop drive. They're cheap.
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

lugnut

@communications.com
reply to analog andy
After another 30 to 40 rips consider your laptop drive to be scrap. They're simply not designed to handle that kind of load.

Ripping 70 to 100 even on a desktop without taking enough breaks in a marathon session will toast any drive. Even a desktop.

Personally I got a Roku set-top box this xmas and have started watching my movies on Netflix and Crackle and about thirty other free services. I wouldn't even bother with collecting movies anymore unless they're really exceptional. And pretty much all of the exceptional ones can be had for peanuts or free on the Roku.

Anyway, if you insist on ripping all your movies, stop destroying your laptop and buy a $200 beater computer to handle your ripping jobs. It's just not worthwhile destroying a good laptop to create an archive you'll probably only watch once again if at all.

analog andy

Surrey, BC
said by lugnut :

After another 30 to 40 rips consider your laptop drive to be scrap. They're simply not designed to handle that kind of load.

Ripping 70 to 100 even on a desktop without taking enough breaks in a marathon session will toast any drive. Even a desktop.

Personally I got a Roku set-top box this xmas and have started watching my movies on Netflix and Crackle and about thirty other free services. I wouldn't even bother with collecting movies anymore unless they're really exceptional. And pretty much all of the exceptional ones can be had for peanuts or free on the Roku.

Anyway, if you insist on ripping all your movies, stop destroying your laptop and buy a $200 beater computer to handle your ripping jobs. It's just not worthwhile destroying a good laptop to create an archive you'll probably only watch once again if at all.

Eh I'd rather spend the time copying my dvd's then be dependent on a third party. Looking at external dvd's they're $24 so will probably go that way.

I get all my dvd from local pawnshops. At $2.99 per dvd plus buy 5 get one free I'd be stupid not to buy all I can.

Between the kids and me we watch tons of movies.

Riplin

join:2002-05-13
canada
are you watching them on a large fp tv?

analog andy

Surrey, BC
On a 47" and 50' at work.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
A 50ft TV at work?

analog andy

Surrey, BC
said by elwoodblues:

A 50ft TV at work?

Sorry 50" although were thinking of getting a projector and have a nice 10x10 foot space where we could project it.