share rss forum feed

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2

Happy New Year WV Frontier Customers

Happy New Year to all. Here is hopeing that 2013 will usher in some very much needed improvements to the Frontier network in West Virginia, particularly in the rural areas.

SteveJobs

join:2012-07-18

Even though I'm not in WV, Happy New Year to you too!

2013 should usher in big improvements everywhere, Frontier plans to finished its ADSL+ and bonded dsl by summertime.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
reply to Hank

Happy New year everyone!

jamesonnorth

join:2012-12-22
Modoc, IN
reply to Hank

Here's hoping! I've heard from techs and customer support reps that Frontier will be deploying bonded DSL in many areas currently maxed at 3-6mbps, and VDSL in markets where they're competing heavily with cable.

This means in rural markets (WV especially) we should see speeds of 12-24mbps down and 1.5-3mbps up. It also means in areas of NY, where Frontier will be testing out VDSL and possibly U-Verse, we should see speeds up to 40mbps on supported lines.

I'm excited for 2013!

The only unfortunate news is Frontier is unlikely to expand the FiOS footprint they inherited from Verizon. If they do, there will likely be a strange combo of FiOS internet and U-Verse TV.
--
CompTIA Net+ Network Administrator - I know networks!
Professional Photographer - www.jnphoto.biz - Weddings and Senior Photos
Nice and comfy with Frontier DSL: I can help with your issues!
»speedtest.net/result/2387637868.png

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

It's interesting that you so confidently address the improvements for WV. It would be nice but those of us that live in rural legacy areas of Frontier have not seen much improvement at all. Frontier has an extremely poor reputation in my area but I hope you are correct. The proof will be in the pudding.

jamesonnorth

join:2012-12-22
Modoc, IN

I know Frontier has a ridiculously poor reputation in West Virginia, but I'm an optimist. Plus with the recent additions to fiber backhaul and (I'm assuming) SONET rings installed throughout the state, the last thing to be upgraded are DSLAMs, which really aren't that expensive per user to deliver 12+mbps speeds.

I wish all those in WV luck in squeezing what you're paying for out of Frontier!

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

would be nice if they could offer u-verse here to compete with comcast.

jelavich

join:2006-05-22
Elkins, WV
reply to Hank

You are severe optimists. They've upgraded their Fiber where the governor is from and not much else. Good luck with their DSLAM upgrades.

They promised many homes will be VDSL capable by year end, but it's unclear where the build outs are happening. I live in a town within 10K feet from a CO *for* this reason alone. They have no excuse.

I'd gladly give Frontier more money for better connectivity.

lvlill3r

join:2013-01-13
Milton, WV
reply to Hank

Hurricane,Milton,Huntington,Barboursville, and Charleston have all deployed VDSL and bonded DSL. Thats the only places i know for sure that have new equipment to supply faster speeds. So at least Frontier is trying

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV

I guess those areas will impress the Governor and give the impression that things are being done in West Virginia. Anyone have a map of the former Verizon areas of West Virginia?

staregazer

join:2006-12-15

They have upgraded to bonded in Mason County and Jackson County WV as well. Their bandwidth is not there to support it as well as it should though.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to lvlill3r

can frontier provide tv over vdsl? Do they have plans to provide tv in west virginia?

bigbacon

join:2013-02-03
Augusta, WV
reply to Hank

I hope so...

I just moved into WV from VA (where I had FIOS)

and Frontier DSL is the WORST ISP I have ever had. I had better and more reliable DSL in the early 90s in bumsville PA than I have here.

In sx months, I have racked up over 24 calls to them about service disruptions. and gotten at least 2 free months of service already. They just say it is congestion OR they tell me that thier infastrucer sucks and deal with it it.

thanks frontier.

jelavich

Elkins, WV

You should of checked before moving, you're not the first to suffer that fate. They are slow, but generally not that bad in reliability. I can mail 3Mb on my DSL w/out fail.

I called the other day about bonded DSL or even the fiber service, but the call centers don't know the exact locations and cant tell anything in planning.

Sounds like from lvlill3r's post, it's all in the southern LATA. I would suspect if the northern LATA gets the faster speeds it will be Fairmont, Clarksburg and Mo-town.

jelavich

Elkins, WV

I just received an upgrade from Frontier here in WV, in the Northern LATA. not their FIOS product, but I'm getting 20Mb/2Mb service from them on the bonded DSL.

It's very nice and the latency is excellent. Took them an extra week, but they did come through.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV

Very happy to hear that. Let's see what they do in the rest of the state.

staregazer

reply to Hank

Lol, I bet those speeds won't last when others in your area jump on the bandwagon.

Majestica

join:2009-01-26
Hedgesville, WV

There has been no "Happy" coming from Frontier this year, or any year that I have had them for that matter. I am stuck with them, I have no other choice. Being charged for "up to" 6Mb, but line only provisioned for 1.5. What a joke.

I say we make a consumer produced state wide video and send it to Google Fiber begging them to come to the rescue for rural areas of WV. One can dream.

jelavich

Elkins, WV
reply to staregazer

I don't think you understand the difference between shared backhauls that well. I'm still clocked in at 20/2 and I can easily push 1.8Mb as I move files for work. Download speeds don't have any of those capping issues.

staregazer

reply to Hank

They had congestion issues in my area until just a few months ago when they put the CO on the new fiber ring. Now our speeds are more consistent at around 22 MB download, sometimes reading 24 MB.