morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

New Computer Build Looking for Fan suggestions

Okay so i am Rebuilding and fan dynamics always annoy me so looking for suggestions, I have a Coolermaster haf XB with a ROG Maximus Gene V and 3770k, with a Corsair h80(original Model)
Fans that come with it default are 3 pin for 1, Also they are Loud as Sin. Couple questions

My case has 2 Front 120s Clearly these should Suck in Cool air In My mind.
My case has 1 rear 120 - This is where the rad is Should I be Pulling in Cold air over the rad? from the rear or should i be venting Air out of the case thru the rad? ie Fan>rad>fan Fan--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

Spike
Premium
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON

I've used Gentle Typhoons in a push-pull configuration with rear exhaust on the H80 with huge success. Its silent too as the stock Corsair fans are loud as hell.

Corsair used to say to suck air in from the back, but to me that doesn't make sense with most chassis configs that suck air in from the front. Simply arrange your H80 fans to exhaust instead.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2

said by Spike:

I've used Gentle Typhoons in a push-pull configuration with rear exhaust on the H80 with huge success. Its silent too as the stock Corsair fans are loud as hell.

Corsair used to say to suck air in from the back, but to me that doesn't make sense with most chassis configs that suck air in from the front. Simply arrange your H80 fans to exhaust instead.

I have standard Corsair fans on an H60 both pull and push pull. I don't find them loud. The standard pull in gives better cooling than push pull. I also have a top exhaust fan, so that seems to make a difference.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

morisato

Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

I am considering a top exhaust Now, along with 2 rear exhausts for the 80mms no need to dust up my cables. if i pull in. Also going to possibly try slicng a Old fan in half and mounting the housing on it as a shroud to increase airflow for the Rad
--

Devanchya
Smile
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON
reply to morisato

Bottom up and out tends to work well.

Side in. Top out.

Heat rises

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to morisato

I'm very happy with my....

2x120mm front "in" fans

top 140mm "out" fan

Corsair H55 120mm "out"

Power supply with a 140mm "out"

Unused side grill for more "in". So far no need to install a fan here as
temps are excellent.

FaxCap

morisato

Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to Devanchya

said by Devanchya:

Bottom up and out tends to work well.

Side in. Top out.

Heat rises

Cube case p:) no side persay heh front back, top. and lower back heh
--

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to morisato

Old, old super-reliable Pentium-4 that I've been running for about 12 years now has a single fan at the top rear that blows outward, with a passive air intake at the bottom front.

Much newer home-built system uses a case with a similar configuration except the rear fan is larger and the front intake is also fan-driven. The PSU (Corsair, I believe) is top-mounted with a large fan at the bottom that (IIRC) drives air up and out the back.

Also have some smaller systems with various variants of that basic theme.

As long as air is moving through the case and components remain well within their operating temperature range during stress tests (many mobos provide that information) IMHO fans are about the least important thing to worry about!

Conversely, I had nothing but problems with another system that appeared to be heat-related and it turned out to have nothing to do with the fans but with a badly designed POS video card, which is now occupying a landfill somewhere. I swear that thing would overheat even if you submerged it in liquid nitrogen!
--
"The promoters of the global economy see nothing odd or difficult about unlimited economic growth or unlimited consumption in a limited world."
Wendell Berry

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B

I've done the near-impossible. I've actually fitted a Zalman VNF100 fanless graphics card cooler on a Sapphire Radeon HD 5570, and installed it in a Shuttle SG33G5 barebones system!

Incredibly, the card's core temperature barely rises anymore, even when playing a game. Having a huge block of metal and radiator fins in direct contact with the graphics processor makes a huge difference in how quickly the set-up can evacuate heat from critical components.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

morisato

Oshawa, ON
reply to morisato

This is my New Case Not Small But damn Sexy P:) just wish my 3770k had been delivered On Monday:( Stupid UPS! oh well Building tommorow.
--

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to milnoc

I should point out, in case there might be any misinterpretation, that I was referring to fans related to general case airflow, not individual component cooling solutions! The latter can be absolutely critical!

And I say this as one who distinctly remembers mainframe style computers from my youth. When powering them up would result in, among many other sounds, the sound of jet engines from the fans revving up to blow cool air from under the raised floor into the cabinets. But of course then -- when 16K of memory was the size of three refrigerators -- the cabinets were the components!

Spike
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to morisato

The new Corsair chassis like the one I have now allows you to mount an H80/H100 or whatnot to the roof of the chassis, this is where you blow the air straight out the top and is the most suited configuration for these all-in-1 watercooling devices.

@DKS, when you are used to silent computing and built many custom liquid cooled computers that are barely audible, *any* fan noise that you aren't used to will drive you insane. I recognize tolerance to fan noise is entirely a personal affair however. Most people feel the fans aren't so loud either, but they certainly aren't silent.

There is something to be said about achieving pure silence on a system with triple SLI and a top-end CPU while pumping out the framerates in a game. I did that once, got bored of it, now I stick to the all-in-1 cooling devices as they're far easier to deal with.

Like most cool things, the novelty tends to wear off, and you think more practical.

morisato

Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

For me i am not aiming at 100% silence but the Stock fans with my case are Out doing average music volume generally they are Somewhat Sucky for sound as the case is On top of my desk and like 2 feet from my ears. P:)
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to Spike

said by Spike:

@DKS, when you are used to silent computing and built many custom liquid cooled computers that are barely audible, *any* fan noise that you aren't used to will drive you insane. I recognize tolerance to fan noise is entirely a personal affair however. Most people feel the fans aren't so loud either, but they certainly aren't silent.

The loudest sound in my current computer is the GTX 680. Even spooled up to 2000 RRM under load it is quiet. At idle, I can hear the clock ticking on the other side of the room. Pure silence? No. Quiet? Yes.
--

morisato

Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to morisato

Well The machines built the Corsair Sp120/aF120 quiet edition were a HUGE improvement over the old fans which sounded like aircraft carriers taking off. tried o/cing my 3770k to 4.6ghz worked fine and solid but i was unhappy with 58 degree temps, Plus the as5 needs some time to cure properly so back down to stock where even at full load my temps Do not bust 38.
--

Spike
Premium
Toronto, ON

4 edits
reply to DKS

said by DKS:

said by Spike:

The loudest sound in my current computer is the GTX 680. Even spooled up to 2000 RRM under load it is quiet. At idle, I can hear the clock ticking on the other side of the room. Pure silence? No. Quiet? Yes.

Reference GTX 680's are hardly quiet. The cage fans have an annoying distinct hiss when spooled up. 2000rpm may be quiet for a reference but in my experience no GTX 680 even runs that slow if you truly load it up with a lot of AA/AF in a game like Metro 2033 @ 2560x1600.

Now if you are talking about the triple slot custom cooler versions (dual standard axial fans and huge heatsinks) of the GTX 680 from ASUS, Zotac and the like, yes indeed those are quiet, I have one of those.

EDIT: Quiet cooler 680's are in 2 slot configs too, just mine is 3. Reference models only have a single cage fan on the end of the card.

I could care less about idle noise, thats extremely easy to achieve silence. The opposite end however is not.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON

said by Spike:

Reference GTX 680's are hardly quiet. The cage fans have an annoying distinct hiss when spooled up.

I don't find that to be true, at all. Nothing annoying about it. And it is quiet.

2000rpm may be quiet for a reference but in my experience no GTX 680 even runs that slow if you truly load it up with a lot of AA/AF in a game like Metro 2033 @ 2560x1600.

I don't play that game, nor do I run my monitors at that resolution.

Now if you are talking about the triple slot custom cooler versions (dual standard axial fans and huge heatsinks) of the GTX 680 from ASUS, Zotac and the like, yes indeed those are quiet, I have one of those.

Mine is a vanilla EVGA GTX 680.

--

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to morisato

Noctua's fans are some of the quietest you can get, and available in pretty much any form factor you could want, from 40mm to 140mm, case fans and CPU heatsink/fans. Downside? They're a bit pricey.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
reply to morisato

I went the fanless PSU route (Seasonic 460W) and a silent 120mm exhaust fan.

Unless I'm doing something really graphics / HDD intensive, you'd never know the system was even on without the system status lights.

NefCanuck

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

Noctua's fans are some of the quietest you can get, and available in pretty much any form factor you could want, from 40mm to 140mm, case fans and CPU heatsink/fans. Downside? They're a bit pricey.

Looks interesting Guspaz, have you retrofitted or built with this brand, if so what was your experience. Sometimes it's never quiet enough and then you get harmonics working along with the furnace fan etc. I'm looking forward to replacing the furnace so I can get a quieter variable speed DC fan motor

morisato

Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

i went with the Corsair for price since its 30 for 2 in a double pack, As well as i liked the Color rings which u can change since i built with a Asus ROG board i am themeing my Case to be red/black. Red Leds/ Fan rings and Lighting along with black Case etc.. though i am not like some with powder coating and UV lighting etc..

Though i am having a nerdgasm over this Gigabyte wb300d Which i disassembled and used the Halfheight mpci in the adapter that came with my board and am now using the bt to stream my phone controls 100% into my pc mmm Text from a keyboard MY GOD its so nice!
--

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to koira

I haven't used them personally, as I haven't had an occasion to install any fans in my systems for a while. However, I've seen a bunch of reviews and benchmarks that back up the manufacturer's claims. Even in the anandtech roundup, it didn't win the roundup because of the price, but the reviewer ended with a note that he'd buy the Noctua if it was his system :P He also noted that it had a pleasant "noise character", which is to say that irrespective of decibel numbers, their fans have less unpleasant harmonics.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org