Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS

Pashune to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

Re: [Rant] LED lights are ugly crap

The flicker in the new-fangled (new to me anyway) Christmas LED lights is definitely noticeable to me when compared to the older incandescent style lights.

It's not really a bother but it's slightly distracting. It seems like we're constantly going forward in technology and yet backwards at times. Some things just look and work better without all of these 'green energy' enhancements. I actually re-used an old pair of mini incandescent icicle Christmas lights from years back. They finally started to fail this year after a heavy storm.

I'm only in my 20's, but I can't help my envy when these things were popular I remember when my grandpa used to put them up when he was still around in the early 90's.

I'm not gonna lie; they look a lot better than those tiny incandescent and LED style Christmas lights. More vibrant and colorful; a bigger presence (obviously because they're bigger?) if you will. The new lights today don't look bad, but I just don't think they look as good as the older ones either. Could be the nostalgia talking for all I know. They were bigger energy hogs and fire hazards of course, but one month of Christmas isn't gonna kill the power bill ... and hopefully not your property either.

Then again, they're just Christmas lights. Not the end of the world, etc. I can probably just order a specialized pair if I'm desperate enough for next year.

JustBurnt
@rr.com

JustBurnt

Anon

said by Pashune:

The flicker in the new-fangled (new to me anyway) Christmas LED lights is definitely noticeable to me when compared to the older incandescent style lights.

Considering ALL the LCD lights on an average tree use as much electric as ONE of those old fashioned lights, it is a no brainer to me.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to Pashune

to Pashune

quote:
I'm not gonna lie; they look a lot better than those tiny incandescent and LED style Christmas lights.
Indeed they do,thank you!!!!!

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS

Pashune to JustBurnt

Premium Member

to JustBurnt

Re: [Rant] LED lights are ugly crap

said by JustBurnt :

said by Pashune:

Considering ALL the LCD lights on an average tree use as much electric as ONE of those old fashioned lights, it is a no brainer to me.

It all comes down to utility costs. At 0.07 cents per KWH plus the fact that winters are extremely mild here (I might need heat a few days per year), I don't think it'd bother me as much as it'd bother others.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned)

The saddest part is: IT DIDNT USED TO BOTHER ANYONE and people were fine and managed fine with it! (Before being reprogrammed)

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

said by 19579823:

The saddest part is: IT DIDNT USED TO BOTHER ANYONE and people were fine and managed fine with it! (Before being reprogrammed)

The sad part is, you thinking you know everyone elses feelings and thoughts

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823
said by 19579823:

No, people just started realizing what looks better and is less of a fire hazard. Not to mention no more one bulb goes out and the whole string is done crap.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to 19579823

to 19579823
said by 19579823:

If you're an example of someone who hasn't been "reprogrammed," I welcome my new 21st century overlords.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to La Luna

Premium Member

to La Luna
said by La Luna:

Not to mention no more one bulb goes out and the whole string is done crap.

Believe it or not, I've had this happen with a couple of LED light strings already.

It wasn't the connections either, it was one of the LEDs itself that actually went open.

Of course, you can't replace the LEDs since they are not socketed, so the whole string is garbage, unless you splice in a replacement LED (which is something the average person can't do).

Normally LEDs don't fail open, unless they are very cheap, which these holiday lights definitely are.
Expand your moderator at work
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned) to Moffetts

to Moffetts

quote:
If you're an example of someone who hasn't been "reprogrammed," I welcome my new 21st century overlords.
Thank you,I THANKFULLY HAVENT BEEN!

PatPatate
join:2008-02-10
Sainte-Julie, QC

PatPatate to TheMG

to TheMG

Re:  

said by TheMG:

It wasn't the connections either, it was one of the LEDs itself that actually went open.
[...]
Normally LEDs don't fail open, unless they are very cheap, which these holiday lights definitely are.

Actually I'm not surprised. By making them flicker, it let them go over their limit and produce more light. There's probably more risks that they break too.