how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jumas

join:2006-03-12
Castlegar, BC

Very slow speeds usually at the same time 5pm till 11pm

Hey guys every night between about 5pm and 11pm my download speed useually goes down by a 12 or 23 rds but only for about 6 hours but give or take a half hour it goes that slow every evening and then its up to full speed I think I'm on High Speed Extreme (V2) my max speed is 6mbit could one of the tech telus try and track my line to see if if the port is wearing out slowly or if the dsam box is pat old i can see the co from my window bout 2 blocks away i live ic downtown castlegar bc if someone would be nice and pm me ill give the phone and my address the address of the old central office is Castlegar C.O. 1115 - 4th St. V1N 2A8 CLGRBC01

Clint_

join:2012-12-31
Salmo, BC

It's the same in Salmo and has been this way all December. I've had speeds as low as 0.9Mbps on 6Mbps package

nss_tech

join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB
reply to jumas

This specific issue has been discussed many times here. A number of remote towns are still running on old hardware and are dealing with congestion issues in peak times. A good number of towns in the BC interior are affected. Castlegar is one and since Salmo is just as remote and likely on the same line to Kamloops as Castlegar is, will have the same issues. Until the hardware (and possibly line) upgrades are complete, the issue will likely continue.

jumas

join:2006-03-12
Castlegar, BC

Any vauge idea at all when the new hardware might be going into kamloops that is quite a long was from casthegar

WhosTheBosch

join:2009-12-02
reply to jumas

In cases like this Telus should not be allowed to advertise 6mbps. I'm a big believer in ISPs only being allowed to advertise MINIMUM speeds.

OP I'd call in and demand a refund for whatever % of 6mpbs you're not getting.

nss_tech

join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB

The equipment in Kamloops isn't the problem. It's the equipment in Castlegar, Sooke, etc. Since those towns are extremely remote and have a much smaller subscriber base they are typically lower on the upgrade list due to the far higher cost of getting the equipment and manpower out there not to mention the high cost of the DSL equipment itself which is in the tens of thousands of dollars range on it's own. It would take Telus years to recover the costs of installation in those areas which is why they focus on the larger towns and cities first.

@WTB: No ISP can guarantee minimum speeds attainable to all corners of the planet. No where does Telus advertise it guarantees 6mbps.

BCRose

join:2013-01-01
Salmo, BC

Their website says 1.5 to 6 for this plan. We are not getting anywhere near the minimum.