Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

goalieskates to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn

Re: IE Zero-Day

said by Dustyn:

People using Internet Explorer 9-10 are not impacted... So in this instance, newer is better. However, I'm only referencing this particular vulnerability. For Microsoft to also patch IE6 is a step backwards from their own abandon IE6 campaign.

It is, but the whole campaign is silly anyway. As long as the newer versions of IE are up to snuff, it really doesn't matter what other people choose to run. More to the point, people who run IE6 haven't upgraded their Windows, either - which hurts revenue and is really what that's all about.

We went to the moon without benefit of IE and Windows. If somebody doesn't want to go to a higher version browser and can live with Win98 or WinXP, more power to them.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

Win 3.1 and IE 3.01 forever!

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to goalieskates

Premium Member

to goalieskates
said by goalieskates:

... If somebody doesn't want to go to a higher version browser and can live with Win98 or WinXP, more power to them.

That is the challenge, though... living with them. In the case of Win98, not only can't one find secure browsers that will run under the OS, they can't even find current anti-malware software that will run. Nearly all of what one finds that will run (if they look really hard) is outdated ("vintage") and riddled with bugs or security holes. The only thing in one's favor is that the number of exploits targeting your OS is slowly declining - especially new zero-days. It's the main reason I finally took my Win98FE/KernelEx system off-line a couple of years ago (though I still run it at times as an isolated system for a few pieces of legacy software on it that I occasionally need).

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 edit

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Blackbird:

...I finally took my Win98FE/KernelEx system off-line a couple of years ago (though I still run it at times as an isolated system for a few pieces of legacy software on it that I occasionally need).

You can probably image it's HD(s) and run it as a Virtual Machine (VM). Then you'd have an anchor for a (small) boat

I have a bunch of VM's, including some of old hardware, and use them from time to time.

The good thing about VM's is that their HD(s) are just (VHD) files. Easily backed up and copied if you want to try/test something without messing up the original. I quite often test things in VM's.