how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tnman55

join:2006-07-16
Sevierville, TN

327w internet connection

I have a Westell D90-327W30-06 that's been working fine for the past 3 years set to WEP. After reading that WPA is more secure than WEP I decided to switch. I changed it and everything works great for about 10 minutes then the internet light goes off and I lose connection for about 5 minutes then it comes back on. It cycles on and off like this constantly. When I switch back to WEP, it works perfect again. I have tried WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK, same thing. I did notice that when set to WPA/WPA2 the internet light blinks rapidly, when set to WEP it only blinks occasionally. The firewall (on the modem) is set on and set to basic. Can anyone help?..Thanks

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

Ok.

#1 While I know your Westell 327w has a RJ-45 LAN port that can act instead as a RJ-45 WAN port, do you have your own RJ-45 WAN port router?

#2 What firmware does your Westell 327w have on it?

Here are some example(s) that I have seen.

a) The White and Blue firmware that looks like the sample screens that you see at http://www.pcwintech.com/ -> Router Screenshots -> Westell Routers/Modems -> Westell - B90-327W15-06 (Westell Firmware)

b) The Red and Black firmware that looks like the sample screens that you see at portforward.com -> Guides -> Router Screenshots Collection -> Westell -> A90-750015-07

c) Looks more like the A90-750014-07 firmware that is shown at ]portforward.com -> Guides -> Router Screenshots Collection -> Westell ->A90-750014-07

c) Note: As need be, show a screen shot from the modem combo.

I point to »www.take-a-screenshot.org/
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

1 edit
reply to tnman55

#1 I was going to suggest that you upgrade the firmware for that modem, but you have the most up to date firmware.

Reference info:

a) »AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »How do I upgrade the firmware on a Westell 327W?

b) »www.fastaccess.drivers.bellsouth···#westell

Grr.

#2 You could consider getting your own RJ-45 WAN port router and then following »AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »What is the proper way to configure a Westell modem with a generic router?

and I would recommend that you turn off wireless in the modem combo regardless if you tell the modem not to handle the public (bridge modem) OR you setup the second router to act as a hub/switch/WAP.

#3 OR you could consider following »AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »How do I setup a Westell with a Wireless Access Point? and I would recommend that you turn off wireless in the modem combo.

--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

tnman55

Sevierville, TN

1 edit
reply to aefstoggaflm

Hi, Thanks for your reply, I appreciate your time.

#1- no, this is the only modem/router I have.

#2- I have the Bellsouth branded version.
Software/firmware: #03.08.02

tnman55

Sevierville, TN
reply to aefstoggaflm

Thanks again,
I know I can make it work by buying a router and using my Westell as just the modem, but I want to make it work with the Westell combo. It should work. It has the option to change to wpa and wpa2. There's something causing the problem. Could it be the firewall? Also I wondered about the "wpa group re key interval", it defaults to 3600 (minutes) what if I changed it to zero? or would that degrade the security by not ever changing the key and not be any better than WEP. Its not that big a deal if I have to keep using WEP, I've used it all these years but surely someone out there has had this same problem, and solved it.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

said by tnman55:

Thanks again,
It has the option to change to wpa and wpa2. There's something causing the problem. Could it be the firewall? Also I wondered about the "wpa group re key interval", it defaults to 3600 (minutes) what if I changed it to zero? or would that degrade the security by not ever changing the key and not be any better than WEP. Its not that big a deal if I have to keep using WEP, I've used it all these years but surely someone out there has had this same problem, and solved it.

Perhaps better in wireless security OR general security?
--