spc
Search similar:

uniqs

pnear
join:2002-06-12
Milton, ON

pnear

[Cable] We need an answer on Cogeco now

It's 2013, and the amount of time that the Cogeco question has been unresolved is now officially absurd.

Through a mix of official posts and hearsay, people like me who are loyal Teksavvy customers have heard:
- Cogeco is coming soon (for years)
- Cogeco is coming in Nov/Dec
- Cogeco might not be coming
- Cogeco is coming in the New Year
- Cogeco is coming in Summer 2013

Here's the deal:
- this is a question of losing a chunk of your DSL customer base
- we have options, but have been holding out because we trust you
- customers who once gave you the benefit of doubt no longer do
- for every loyal DSL customer you lose to another ISP, you lose several more recommendations for net-new subscribers

I can't speak for others, but for me I need to see an official final answer by the end of the week as to when Teksavvy will sell in Cogeco territory. If that answer doesn't come, or if that answer changes again, then I will cancel and stop recommending TekSavvy.

Sorry for the rant, but I am frustrated that a company who I respect has so repeatedly let me down on this topic.

-Pete
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Seriously, Just switch teksavvy is barely handling rogers and Bell atm even if they do add cogeco how long will it take to be up to speed? Go to Another provider or be happy with yer dsl. Just make sure to not sign a contract so u can come back whenever u wish.

NytOwl
join:2012-09-27
canada

NytOwl to pnear

to pnear
You're ranting in a way that suggests TSI actually has control over when/if Cogeco allows them to provide Cable Internet on their platform.

Obviously I can't speak for TSI (and I haven't read over every thread), but perhaps a big reason for their flip-flopping is that Cogeco is flip-flopping them?

Just a thought.
80289148 (banned)
join:2012-12-24

80289148 (banned) to pnear

to pnear
Just quit and come to start.ca you will not be sorry. People answer the phone at start.ca too.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx to NytOwl

Premium Member

to NytOwl
said by NytOwl:

You're ranting in a way that suggests TSI actually has control over when/if Cogeco allows them to provide Cable Internet on their platform.

Obviously I can't speak for TSI (and I haven't read over every thread), but perhaps a big reason for their flip-flopping is that Cogeco is flip-flopping them?

Just a thought.

Actually, he's ranting about being told they're getting it, then they're not. It's about announcing it and then going either silent or changing the story every time.

He did say he was a loyal customer, odds are since he's been a member about 10 years longer then yourself, he may have seen a thread or two about it.

Instead of going on TSI's defense, maybe just leave it a neutral opinion until a rep from TSI can comment on the matter for the OP. That is always best.
80289148 (banned)

to pnear
TSI doesn't need to give you any answers. The sooner you learn this the better your life will be.

tristen1230
join:2010-12-26
Belleville, ON

tristen1230 to NytOwl

to NytOwl
Well they were suppose to get it in Nov/Dec so I am guessing anytime they could get it.

Now like in the middle of November Teksavvy finds out it will be too much for their servers to handle in Chatham so they are postponing it. Problem is that why is this found when they are about to launch and not four months before.

Also you could loose customers because if this summer or who knows next could be winter I will be going to Start since they still have good reviews and they are fully with Cogeco. Took you guys a long time. Start is not as big as you and they are full with Cogeco. I really want to go with you but i cannot be waiting another year.

NytOwl
join:2012-09-27
canada

NytOwl to Tx

to Tx
said by Tx:

Instead of going on TSI's defense, maybe just leave it a neutral opinion until a rep from TSI can comment on the matter for the OP. That is always best.

I wasn't necessarily jumping to TSI's defense. I was merely offering a different view point (hence "Just a thought"). I also stated that I can't speak for TSI.

I deem myself pretty neutral on the matter as I'm not in Cogeco's service area, thus not effected by this issue and I've also only been a TSI customer for a few months now (thus not having much established loyalty).

The thread remains wide open for commentary by TSI staff; my statement does not negate that.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to NytOwl

Premium Member

to NytOwl
said by NytOwl:

Just a thought.

There was a thread somewhere I read, and I can't remember which one, that said that if they flipped over, they'd have to raise their rates on their 1000 or so subscribers in Chatham to a level they weren't happy with (I believe it was $10/month more or something like that)....

So....unfortunately the Chatham subscribers I believe are holding this back...which is very unfortunate.

tristen1230
Belleville, ON

tristen1230

Ya. That is what I was hearing too. I think you got to look at it this way. Loosing a 100 but gaining thousands I think may be worth it. But then you got the side where you want to make ALL customers happy. A couple options.

1. Raise it $10 and gain many customers but may loose some in Chatam.

2. Don't raise it ten dollars and gain many customers making everyone happy but not gaining as much money.

3. Don't bring it at all.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx

Premium Member

said by tristen1230:

Ya. That is what I was hearing too. I think you got to look at it this way. Loosing a 100 but gaining thousands I think may be worth it. But then you got the side where you want to make ALL customers happy. A couple options.

2. Don't raise it ten dollars and gain many customers making everyone happy but not gaining as much money.

Problem here is, Chatam is TSI's home town. You don't bite the hand that feeds you. In a sense at least. If it were my business, i wouldn't be ignoring my home town customers for the sake of money.

Normally i'd 10000% agree but when it involves home town and grown businesses, it's bad on your image to ignore local folk's best interests as well.

That's my two cents on that.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy

Premium Member

said by Tx:

said by tristen1230:

Problem here is, Chatam is TSI's home town. You don't bite the hand that feeds you. In a sense at least. If it were my business, i wouldn't be ignoring my home town customers for the sake of money.

Normally i'd 10000% agree but when it involves home town and grown businesses, it's bad on your image to ignore local folk's best interests as well.

That's my two cents on that.

While I'd agree, here's the thing...Aggregated pricing is coming, so its either sticker shock now, or sticker shock later...isn't it by 2014 that everyone has to be on aggregated? So, ultimately...its going to be an increase now, or later...it is inevitable unfortunately....

I wonder how many of those 1000 are TSI employees....hrm interesting....

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

There was a thread somewhere I read, and I can't remember which one, that said that if they flipped over, they'd have to raise their rates on their 1000 or so subscribers in Chatham to a level they weren't happy with (I believe it was $10/month more or something like that)....

So....unfortunately the Chatham subscribers I believe are holding this back...which is very unfortunate.

This is for sure correct, but there are two more details to keep in mind. Teksavvy (and everyone else) will be forced to go Aggregated by November 2013 anyway, also Aggregated wholesale costs are under review at the CRTC.

There was some talk of pushing for a delay in the Aggregated deadline because Rogers was foot dragging. Now it looks like the Aggregated switch over is planned for summer or fall.

Reading between the lines and projecting from the Rogers side, I think it goes something like this. Cogeco is ready to go, just need to flip the switch. Teksavvy has decided to hold off until one or both of the CRTC pricing review and the aggregated deadline pass. This way they will only have to adjust pricing once for Chatham customers. No matter what, Cogeco on Aggregated is coming by November 2013.

tristen1230
Belleville, ON

tristen1230

November. I would rather go with start.
80289148 (banned)

to pnear
November 2013 will be like the Rogers Launch all over again just worse.

pnear
Milton, ON

pnear

Thanks everyone for the discussion, but yes I'm looking for a response from TekSavvy.

Tek doesn't have to do anything, and I certainly don't have to stick around as a customer. However when a company has been good to me in the past I like to give them an opportunity to make things right before just jumping ship.
ShetiPhian
join:2011-12-29
Belleville, ON

ShetiPhian

I'm also getting tired of waiting, I'm stuck in Cogeco land and the Bell wire feeding my neighbourhood is so bad watching a 360p YouTube video can't be done unless you let it load for a while first, some days it takes twice as long to load as the video is.

I'd prefer to stick with Tek but frustrations are taking their toll.

I gathered some data in December others may also find useful:

-----------------------
»www.ciktel.com/Main/Eng/ ··· able.asp
Package: Cable 8
Pirce: $49.99/month
Bandwidth: Unlimited
Modem Purchase: $69.00
New Installation: $59.95
-----------------------
»www.start.ca/services/highspeed
»www.fusion-telecom.com/c ··· able.php
Package: 4 // 8 // 16
Pirce: $34.95 // 39.95 // 49.95
Bandwidth: Unlimited // 200 // 300
Modem Purchase: $99.95
New Installation: $50
NOTE: asked about getting 300GB on the 8Mbps package, received a firm no from both companies
-----------------------
»www.innsys.ca/cableinternet.html
Package: Cable 18
Pirce: $39.99
Bandwidth: Unlimited
Modem Purchase: $65.00
New Installation: $65.00
NOTE: even after talking to them I don't believe the speed is correct as Cogeco doesn't have 18Mbps its only 16Mbps (They reassured this was in fact a Cogeco package)

Shada Tek
@teksavvy.com

Shada Tek to pnear

Anon

to pnear
I too have been waiting for a long time for Cable from Teksavvy in my area (Stratford). DSL is limited to 6 meg and my house has now outgrown that for some time now but been waiting. Friends are starting the switch from Tek to Start this month and I think I will joining them. Been strung along by Cogeco or Tek (no finger pointing) for to long.
I am not leaving Tek for fear of File sharing lawsuits for I have no reason to fear them. Strictly 6meg max speed sucks is the reason.

tristen1230
Belleville, ON

tristen1230 to pnear

to pnear
Only thing with Start.ca is they do not offer unlimited but I may be able to pay a little extra so I could.
80289148 (banned)

80289148 (banned)

said by tristen1230:

Only thing with Start.ca is they do not offer unlimited but I may be able to pay a little extra so I could.

Go here and ask about unlimited and why they don't have it »Start.ca

you will get a nice response back about how it makes no sense.

tristen1230
Belleville, ON

tristen1230

I asked on there.
80289148 (banned)

80289148 (banned)

said by tristen1230:

I asked on there.

Someone responded to you already.

tristen1230
Belleville, ON

tristen1230 to pnear

to pnear
The person gave me a great answer. I hope Teksavvy answers this thread soon.

pnear
Milton, ON

pnear

Since there has been no reply, I've placed my order placed with Start.

Thanks for several great years TekSavvy, I sincerely hope you do well and really do appreciate the lobbying efforts on behalf of Canadian broadband users. Unfortunately you just don't offer a product in my area that provides enough upstream for my needs.

-Pete

tristen1230
Belleville, ON

tristen1230 to pnear

to pnear
Wow. This is sad. I though for sure someone of the TSI team would reply. I mean you had a week and there was a customer on the line and you did not even reply. Very simple thing you could have done to keep a customer.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Shrug

tristen1230
Belleville, ON

tristen1230 to pnear

to pnear
I am bumping this. I still want an answer.
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to 80289148

to 80289148
said by 80289148:

Just quit and come to start.ca you will not be sorry. People answer the phone at start.ca too.

And as start.ca grows, they will have to take on some of TSI's approaches when it comes to phone systems, etc.

It's all about supporting the volumes of calls/customers... not making a decision to use a IVR system or not.

tristen1230
Belleville, ON

tristen1230 to pnear

to pnear
I still want an answer. Anything would be nice. I still want to see if teksavvy cares about there previous customers and potentially new customers. Not replying show me a definite answer which is bad.
tristen1230

tristen1230 to pnear

to pnear
Still waiting...