how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

claibourne

join:2011-07-04
Garland, TX
reply to ScottB

Re: Where to get most recent Rev. router?

Theoretically, you should get more bandwidth with the Rev I than the Rev F. The F, G, and I all use the same radio (Atheros AR9287) but with only one antenna/stream, and no channel bonding, the F can do no better than 65mbps.

With two antennas/two streams and no channel bonding, and using a two-stream client, the G and I max out at 130 mbps.

Again, this is "theoretically" speaking. While an F can theoretically exceed your FiOS connection speed (50 mbps down), you'll have a better real-world chance of hitting that consistently with a G or I.

None of the three (F, G, I) currently support channel bonding, but someone on here recently mentioned that Rev I may get a firmware update to enable it. This would bump the I up to 300 mbps. IIRC, the AR9287 supports channel bonding, so it would just be a question of enabling support in the software.

Your wireless speed fluctuations may be due to environmental issues. There may be multiple wireless networks in the vicinity on the same channel. Google "InSSIDer" and download and run the tool. Look at channels 1, 6, and 11, and pick the one that has the fewest and/or lowest-power networks on it; then change the Actiontec to use that channel, being sure to check the box that says "keep my settings" across router reboots.

Hope this helps.....

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Quick question on this: Doesn't the Rev. F have the internal antenna soldered to one of the radio connections like the Rev. D and older have?

ScottB

join:2012-12-30
Staten Island, NY
reply to claibourne
Thank you very much!. Earlier today I did two things. I restored my TCP/IP and I downloaded InSSider. I found that a lot of people around me were on Channels 6 and 11. I switched to Channel 1. After doing the above I am maxing out at 30mps on WiFi.
One thing about the CNET download of InSSider. It piggybacked two BS programs which I removed and it also had a dll file attached that Norton recognized as a threat and blocked.

claibourne

Garland, TX
reply to Smith6612
said by Smith6612:

Quick question on this: Doesn't the Rev. F have the internal antenna soldered to one of the radio connections like the Rev. D and older have?

Not sure, but I have a couple F's sitting in a closet unused, so I guess I could open one up and take a look. I'll wait and see if anyone else replies first.

In any event, if there's a second internal antenna, I was never able to get any 2-stream clients to connect beyond 65 (or 72 from an Atheros-based client).

claibourne

Garland, TX
reply to ScottB
said by ScottB:

Thank you very much!

You're welcome. If you haven't already done this, you should also run the FiOS Speed Optimizer on all your PC's, wired as well as wireless. This will improve things a bit as well.

»my.verizon.com/micro/speedoptimi···ult.aspx

claibourne

Garland, TX
reply to Smith6612
said by Smith6612:

I just opened up an old Rev F.

There is only one antenna lead, connected to the external antenna. The wireless controller/chip is soldered to the top of the main circuit board. The antenna lead attaches to a "Chain 0" connector, also on the top of the main circuit board. There is also a place on the board for a "Chain 1" antenna connector, but there is no connector present.

So.... definitely no second antenna, and no second stream. Max speed is 65 mbps.

claibourne

Garland, TX
Also, the wireless chip in the Rev F appeared to be an AR9227. According to the datasheet, it's a PCI version of the AR9287, which is PCI-E.

The datasheet says it supports 2x2, but apparently Verizon and Actiontec chose not to implement it on the F.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
reply to claibourne
That would explain it then. Thanks!