share rss forum feed

eve
Premium
join:2003-01-02
Alexandria, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Krisnatharok

Re: Building a computer...in need of help!

said by Krisnatharok:

i7 is unnecessary for gaming, would have seen the extra money towards a 7970, but I assume you have your reasons.

Hope the build goes well!

Would be my only critique as well. Maybe an aftermarket cooler (though you could get a decent one for $30 anyway) since your system would kind of be asking to be OCed.

Benenstein

join:2007-04-29
Lincoln, IL

I actually was thinking about getting aftermarket cooling. Does it make a decent difference vs the fan that already comes worth it?

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

Anyone spending the money on an unlocked "K" version i7, would more then likely be overclocking it and would install aftermarket cooling.

If you're not OC'ing though, then the stock cooler will work okay.

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

Sorry, im not trying to sound completely stupid, but overclocking im guessing increases the computers performance, right? As in speed only? My case allows for plenty of air flow, and if i do overclock my computer i will probably guy an aftermarket fan and a couple more fans for my case.

eve
Premium
Alexandria, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Basically it will. I don't think extra fans are necessary. Getting something like a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, which comes with a fan, will be more than enough cooling capability to overclock your i7 to 4.4-4.6 with no difficulty. Just my suggestion!

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

Not a bad idea! Thanks! I imagine i will be doing all kinds of things to my computer once i actually get it up and running. Im building it this weekend (hopefully) so i will probably post a LOT of questions. Ive already been researching this, watching videos, etc.

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
reply to eve

And is there anything else you would suggest that i buy? Just making sure before i purchase this fan

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Benenstein

If you're going to install an aftermarket cooler, then do it now when you first build it. Because installing one after the fact requires completely removing the motherboard from the case, being an 1155 socket.

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL

Thanks man, will do

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Benenstein

said by Benenstein:

And is there anything else you would suggest that i buy? Just making sure before i purchase this fan

Only thing I would suggest installing is some kind of fan controller. Most cases come with 4pin molex plugs for the fans which do not fit the motherboard. I'm not sure what type fans come with the case you ordered. But it's up to you how you configure your new rig. I just prefer fan controllers so then I can control everything right on the front of the PC.

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL

My case comes with a fan controller on the front of it i do believe, thanks though, im trying to think of all of the little things that i may have forgotten

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

Yep, I just noticed that. That's actually pretty cool.

You should be good on everything in your list there. Just make sure to post up some pics of the build after.

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL

Yup, i plan on taking pictures as well

eve
Premium
Alexandria, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

3 edits
reply to Ghastlyone

Not entirely true. Some cases nowadays (even relatively cheap ones) have a cutout panel that gives you access to the back of the motherboard where you'd install the brackets. Having said that, I would suggest getting them all at the same time. Not that you'd even turn your computer on without a heatsink/cooler.

The case he purchased does have that cutout, by the way. And from experience, I would suggest screwing your MoBo in and using that to help with the installation of the standoffs and mounting bracket. Or maybe I just failed at that step when I installed mine!