uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3

Any thoughts on Ubuntu 12.10?

I've been reading mixed reviews. Using 12.04 LTS and haven't upgraded yet.

pablo
MVM
join:2003-06-23
kudos:1
Hi,

Why not create a VM and test drive 12.10? This way you can decide if it's good for you rather than relying on others? Not that it's bad to rely on others but sometimes it's best to test drive it yourself.

Cheers,
-pablo
--
openSUSE 12.2/KDE 4.x
ISP: TekSavvy Bonded DSL; backhauled via a 6KM wireless link
Assorted goodies: »pablo.blog.blueoakdb.com

LikeLTSes

@pnap.net
reply to Ian
Personally, I prefer the LTS releases due to the clearly defined errata support schedule and they tend to be more polished than what I feel are the "rushed to deployment" public alphas they dub release quality. The LTSes after the first point release tend to be very good. Been with Ubuntu since the 5.04 Hoary days.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to pablo
said by pablo:

Hi,

Why not create a VM and test drive 12.10? This way you can decide if it's good for you rather than relying on others? Not that it's bad to rely on others but sometimes it's best to test drive it yourself.

Think twice about running 12.10 in a VM unless the VM properly supports 3D. When 12.10 can't run true 3D, it drops to emulated, and is VERY slow. I gave up trying to run it in a VirtualBox in Win7 because it was horrible. 12.04 is very fast in a VM since it drops to Unity-2D.

Lagz
Premium
join:2000-09-03
The Rock
reply to Ian
said by Ian:

I've stayed with 12.04 specifically for the LTS.
--
When somebody tells you nothing is impossible, ask him to dribble a football.

boog
Premium
join:2000-07-24
Trenton, OH
said by Lagz:

said by Ian:

I've stayed with 12.04 specifically for the LTS.

Same here, and I have decided to stick with the LTS releases. I have much better luck with them.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

1 recommendation

reply to Ian
Like others, I stick to LTS releases.
I have 12.10 running on a laptop without issue. It is not drastically different that 12.04.
If you do install 12.04 then make sure that the first thing you do the first time you log in is run this command.
quote:
sudo apt-get remove unity-lens-shopping
VirtualBox can run Ubuntu 12.10 with 3D support just fine if you want to demo it first.
--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter

»maxolasersquad.com/

»maxolasersquad.blogspot.com

»www.facebook.com/maxolasersquad

pablo
MVM
join:2003-06-23
kudos:1
reply to andyross
said by andyross:

Think twice about running 12.10 in a VM unless the VM properly supports 3D.

It's so quick to run a test that it's hardly worth mind-tripping over it.

Cheers,
-pablo
--
openSUSE 12.2/KDE 4.x
ISP: TekSavvy Bonded DSL; backhauled via a 6KM wireless link
Assorted goodies: »pablo.blog.blueoakdb.com

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON

1 recommendation

reply to Ian
I did try it out in a a VM (vmware player) and nothing about it really jumped out at me as being better. Sticking with 12.04 LTS for now.

Thanks.

kleeman
Australian Expat

join:2000-07-29
Nyack, NY
reply to Ian
FWIW I run 12.10 and have had no issues whatsoever. I run cinnamon 1.6.7 desktop which is very nice.
--
Aesthetics should be an inspiration not a pair of handcuffs

lugnut

@communications.com
reply to Ian
I'm running 12.10 Kubuntu on one of my laptops at the moment and 12.04 Kubuntu on both of my desktops.

Running pretty much the same softwares on all machines and for all intents and purposes I perceive no noticeable difference between the two operating systems.

They both have pretty much the same updates at pretty much the same times and I have encountered no major issues with software running under either version.

I'd say if you're looking for the latest and greatest there's no harm in running 12.10.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to Ian
If I read things right, Mint 13 is based on Ubuntu 12.04LTS, and is also an LTS itself. Unlike Ubuntu, though, they do have backports available to add some of the Mint 14/Ubuntu 12.10 features into Mint 13.