The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to FTBoomer

Premium Member

to FTBoomer

Re: [Internet] Best Routers for Bridged Networks

Irv I have no immediate plans to support Windows 8 issues. I do not have it and see no justification at this time to dedicate a machine to it given that most of the professional and consumer reviews are negative and obviously lack of uptake of the product. A significant number of folks who received products with Windows 8 are downgrading to Windows 7 which should tell you something.

As for .27 I am running the v version of .27 with no problems. I will check the Padavan site and yes it is possible they yanked a version as they have done it before. One thing I will tell you is turn Auto Channel Selection off. Dedicate to a single wifi channel and leave it there.
ispalten
join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL

ispalten

said by BHNtechXpert:

As for .27 I am running the v version of .27 with no problems. I will check the Padavan site and yes it is possible they yanked a version as they have done it before. One thing I will tell you is turn Auto Channel Selection off. Dedicate to a single wifi channel and leave it there.

Always have it set to 11 with 7 as the side channel, found that combo to work the best. Run inSSIDer (»www.metageek.net/product ··· nssider/) occasionally to check for other signals around there but found none so far.

As for W8, first of all I've got images for W7 and can go back easily. No 'work' done on these computers so I don't mind going cutting edge, but as that say, users of the cutting edge usually bleed. Not running out of band-aids though now. Getting tired of chasing for drivers, especially on Dell's that are old.

Guide_Tim
join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA

Guide_Tim to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
OMG Gary I agree about the whole windows 8 thing . When my friends tell me they bought a new computer that has windows 8 i start to cringe. My advice to them is to ignore the silly metro tiles , and totally focus on the Desktop Environment, and do not run applications from the metro tiles area run applications in the desktop area. The first thing I do when i work on someones computer that is running windows 8 is install a program called "classic shell" to bring back the start menu. Shame on Microsoft for shoving this nasty Operating System down consumers throats. Stay with windows 7 for as long as possible my friends
ispalten
join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL

ispalten

said by Guide_Tim:

OMG Gary I agree about the whole windows 8 thing . When my friends tell me they bought a new computer that has windows 8 i start to cringe. My advice to them is to ignore the silly metro tiles , and totally focus on the Desktop Environment, and do not run applications from the metro tiles area run applications in the desktop area. The first thing I do when i work on someones computer that is running windows 8 is install a program called "classic shell" to bring back the start menu. Shame on Microsoft for shoving this nasty Operating System down consumers throats. Stay with windows 7 for as long as possible my friends

Basically I agree with both of you about W8, I still find it useful. For one, the Start Screen does have some 'value'. The Weather, News, and Stock 'applets' I've enabled. I can leave that up and see what is going on (computer is on most of the day) if the screen saver isn't enabled. Also recently used apps I pin to it so I can start them whenever I want, from the desktop or Start Screen. I've learned how to basically use the mouse to circumvent the need for touch devices.

No, it isn't perfect, and somethings have been moved and some just don't seem to exist anymore.

Like it or not, it is the future. Vista and W7 were not well received when they were released either. Yeah, Vista was DOG, couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Anyway, going directly to the Desktop works well too. Tap the Windows key and you easily go back and forth. Have sufficient h/w and all works well, even if you use Live Tiles and don't use F4 to close them.