DSL Robot
Premium
join:2000-12-23
Carson, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

1 edit

New DSL Extreme User - Had some questions/observations - DSL Rob

Just FYI: I ordered DSL Extreme for my mother-in-law and the activation date was 12/28. We had DSL sync at the modem on the 28th, but on the 29th, we still could not log in to PPPOE. I called DSL Extreme tech support on the evening of the 29th after trying to connect several times. I was told that the configuration would be rebuilt the next morning (no techs were available to rebuild at the time). After the configuration was rebuilt on 12/30, we could log in to PPPOE and use our connection.

So I wonder if there is a problem for PPPOE activation.
--
Windows, OS X, Linux...it's ALL good!

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:30

Re: New DSL Extreme User - Had some questions/observations - DSL

In general, no, there isn't. Hiccups in the system are possible, however, so here or there an account might need to be rebuilt; whether it's PPPoE or DHCP isn't a determining factor. Sorry you had to run into that; it's working ok now, I take it?

DSL Robot
Premium
Carson, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
Thanks for your response. Yes, as soon as the connection was rebuilt at DSL Extreme, then it has worked ever since. I just wanted to mention that I had a similar problem as the original poster - PPPOE did not allow connection after activation date.

The other thing that was strange for us is that before the rebuild, the DSL LED was solid green, and the Internet LED was solid green, but when I looked in the modem web page, it showed that PPPOE was not connected. We have a SpeedStream 5100 modem. Normally, a solid Internet LED means that PPPOE is connected.
--

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
Yeah. Couldn't say why your Speedstream was giving you a green light, then; it shouldn't have, if you weren't actually pulling an IP and online.

DSL Robot
Premium
Carson, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
I also did the Check Connection in the modem. It reported that the PPPOE Authentication failed. Then I put the modem in bridge mode, and tried to conect to PPPOE from the rounter, but that failed, too. I put the modem back to PPPOE mode (not bridged) and left. The next day when DSL Extreme rebuilt the configuraiton, it all worked by itself - I did not have to change anything.
--

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
Yeah, looks like it just needed a rebuild on our end. It shouldn't relapse, but don't hesitate to let us know if you need any other help!