spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jsoto

@verizon.net
reply to SCADAGeo

Re: Give me a Laymans Breakdown on VOIP (backend)

One more thing for all you Asterisk gurus.

It turns out that a portion of the issues we see, on their end, apparently they are not seeing us registered with them, even though calls are ringing through, etc.

I'm not new to VOIP....and like my OP said, traceroutes , etc look clean and not latent at any times if the day.

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
kudos:2
said by jsoto :

The providers phone is a Polycom but I don't want to touch anything on the providers phone

Perhaps having two softphones (Zoiper, Ekiga, Linphone, X-Lite, etc) connected via LAN at a site would help?

said by jsoto :

I currently have a Polycom setup with another provider
We have been using it with outgoing calls PROBLEM FREE.

Per the next steps, as stated, I plan to have our # forwarded to the test phone. HOWEVER, since their *gateway* is the question mark for us at this time, with having our # being forward to this test phone, is this even a good test *even though our # is being forwarded out from their switch*. If I have bad phone calls, I can't necessarily say it's a issue on our end, because the calls are still being forwarded out from X provider.

Does this make sense..

No, not really.

I realize that with 5 sites, the issue _appears_ to point to the provider, but I have yet to read that you have tested _a complete circuit_ to eliminate the equipment at any of your sites.

Why is this troubleshooting step necessary?

It will eliminate any _potential_ issue that _may_ be caused by equipment (phones, switches, routers, firewalls, systems, modems) that automatically updated its firmware/software/rules.

said by jsoto :

One more thing for all you Asterisk gurus.

It turns out that a portion of the issues we see, on their end, apparently they are not seeing us registered with them, even though calls are ringing through, etc.

I'm surprised that your customers are receiving calls when their equipment is not registered with the provider.

said by jsoto :

I'm not new to VOIP....and like my OP said, traceroutes , etc look clean and not latent at any times if the day.

No offense meant, it's a challenge trying to gauge a person's experience level by a post.

jsoto

@rr.com
Quick update. Was on a call on the *bad phone* and was watching network statistics.

Jitter - all looked within norm. 15 being max on the call, but on average it was 0-10 at most.

Under lost packets, on the phone status, it did report 40 lost packets over the course of a 20 minute call.