uniqs
share rss forum feed

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium
join:1999-10-16
Norwalk, CA

Just installed 2 Apple soft. and ESET got injured

Happy New Years day to all, just got a new machine for the wife, last one died. anyways Just Installed Itunes followed by Quicktime as some other software I read requires it, including Yamipod.

long story trying to recover some sort of working playlist out of her ipod, as I can not ever seem to get around to deleting it all and putting it back.

Anyways to my question, it asked me to reboot and when the machine came back up, I got a error from eset telling me that the WEB protocols could not be analyzed and it turned red., I also curiously enough have a X on my network icon(like when the cable is disconnected), except I have internet access ??? I'm running Comodo firewall, all is new so it *must* be the latest version.

When I go inside the extended setup of Eset the http porting is greyed out. as I said all this happened after installing the Quicktimes (it was the last piece of software, oh yes it gave me a error duing installation.).

guess I will uninstall Quicktime and see if it repairs what ever it broke, just wanted comments if any of you have seen this ? it acts remarkably like a virus/trojan in it's effects

Expand your moderator at work

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
reply to rtcy

Re: Just installed 2 Apple soft. and ESET got injured

So is this a Mac or an ESET question?

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to rtcy

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to rtcy

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium
Norwalk, CA

Sorry I just got the first notification of your post, this is a ESET question installed on a PC win7-64bit. Eset replied telling me that sometimes software does this(first for me) and to re-install. I tried the install and it gave me the option to repair, it did not work.

I then un-installed ESET and re-installed it, still the same, well no, the web stuff now works, BUT the real time protection is off, I will try fooling with it some more after I send you this reply and see if I get any further.
I did a full scan of all 3 hard drives, no issues found. As for the RED x over the network icon, when I run the repair option it tells me the Diagnostic Policy Service was not running. I then went to the Administrative Tools and launched the Services icon, when I tried setting it to Automatic it let me, but it would not start. I saw no dependencies in the box, so I was stuck.

Since this is a brand new computer, I went and Restored to 5 days earlier , rebooted and still a red x. so I went for the earliest one , restored the system and VOILA no more red x on the network card icon.

This all feels like I downloaded a mean ass trojan that or rootkit that took over my machine, but since it was me that downloaded Quicktime , I know no such thing hapenned.

I did a CD restore of the Win & stuff that Acer puts with the machine just in case. But I have those pretty CD's from MS and Win7, so when I get achance this weekend or next I will be forced to wipe the drive and install W7 fresh. sure wish I could find a fix, though. I'm at a age where I no longer behave like Sheldon in "the big bang theory" and make it a night of installing OS's. those days are gone. I get a root canal tomorrow so it might not be this weekend. if you can think of something I have not tried, please let me know

thank you

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

At least open an issue ticket with ESET before you do the bulldoze and repave.
Your messaging is turned off so I've sent same link to Mike See Profile

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium
Norwalk, CA

I did , they gave me a "standard" reply.

but I do have good news, after I posted my last message to you, which was the first time back on this machine, I played around manually with ESET and finally got it to take the settings, so it took a unistall , reboot, clean install and then manually get it to accept turning on the protection.

I think I will install a 32 bit version of quicktime and leave it at that. I hate Itunes and Quicktime with a passion and this just frosted the cake.

Itunes is the most unfriendly program that will NOT let you simple things you can do with any other normal mp3 player, like with a new computer install, it will not make a new playlist consisting of what is already in the Ipod. simply no way, and all apps that do are MAC only or made to move songs from the Ipod to the computer, but not to make a simple playlist, and if you add more songs into the Ipod , they will NOT play, and I have not found a easy way to get the m ALL to play.

oh well had to vent about that, wrong subject and thread .

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC

I would be curious to know what ESET software you are running ?
The issue ticket was assigned to you ? Is there further action you would like from ESET ?

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium
Norwalk, CA

said by siljaline:

I would be curious to know what ESET software you are running ?
The issue ticket was assigned to you ? Is there further action you would like from ESET ?

no more action is needed as I finally fixed the problem by restoring Windows to the earliest copy of itself and by uninsatlling Eset and re-installing it fresh and last by nmanually turning back on the real time protection

I'm running ESET NOD32 5.2.15.0 I went with a 32 bit version to minimize errors , I did the same with Quictime 32 bits this time around and so far no issues.

but let's keep the eye on the ball , it was Quictime 64 that killed the eset.

this issue is now resolved as far as I am concerned, since it's running ok. but the real issue is why QT doing this?
Expand your moderator at work

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to rtcy

Re: Just installed 2 Apple soft. and ESET got injured

Thank you for the progress update, it is appreciated.