how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bobsap6

join:2011-10-05
Princeton Junction, NJ

Best renewal rate?

My 2-yr FIOS Ultimate/35/35 & digital phone just expired and I can either sit month to month at 139 vs my expired 129, or upgrade to 75/35...

They want 159 essentially on the jump to 75 download, is it worth it?

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House
Only you can answer that. If you do mainly web surfing and a little downloading, probably no. If you're a heavy user, then maybe yes.

I have both 10/1 Road Runner and FIOS (26/31 actual speeds) and have found that when I use RR for general browsing, I can't tell the difference.

In fact, on a few occasions I've messed around with A/B comparisons, gotten distracted and forgot to switch back from RR to FIOS-- and didn't even notice it. One time I ran for weeks on 10/1 and didn't realize until I went to upload something, and immediately noticed the painfully slow upload speed, which was my only clue that I hadn't switched back to FIOS yet.

Also, if most of your downloads are from commercial servers like Microsoft or HP, you're not going to get better than 20 Mbps or so anyway. At $DAYJOB (datacenter) my access is multiple Gig-E and still don't see much better than 20-30 Mbps from the commercial vendors. I'm not a bittorrent user, so I can't speak to performance on that.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

2 edits
said by rebus9:

Also, if most of your downloads are from commercial servers like Microsoft or HP, you're not going to get better than 20 Mbps or so anyway. At $DAYJOB (datacenter) my access is multiple Gig-E and still don't see much better than 20-30 Mbps from the commercial vendors. I'm not a bittorrent user, so I can't speak to performance on that.

This is not true.

I pull 10+MB/sec all the time from Apple, Microsoft, etc.

To the OP: FWIW, I just tried to "negotiate" a better renewal rate over the phone. Best I was able to do was $20 off per month. They didn't seem very willing to budge on combining different service tiers, etc. Decided to stick with FiOS even though I could've gotten more channels from Cablevision for less money. I like my 75/35
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
I was gonna say the samething - I was on 105Mbps plan (on Cable - but doesn't matter) and i'd max out my connection to Microsoft downloading service packs and even more so when i'm downloading ISOs from TechNet. This is during a new launch too so thousands of other people are going at the sametime.

As for the OP, only you can tell if you need the extra speed. Paying $100 for 1Gbps would be a waste of money if you checked email once a day and maybe went on Facebook every few days (thinking of grandparents usage here). If there's a cheaper 50Mbps plan that would save you $50/month then obviously that would better be suited to that usage.

Now for me, i'd be all over said 1Gbps plan if it were that cheap like a mad man!!

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to bobsap6
I had the same option back in August and did the upgrade to 75/35 (83/38 effectively), kept my Ultimate and did move over to FDV from Freedom Essentials. Net change is about $25 a month over what my month to month would have been after STB/DVR and taxes, etc., were added back on. I'm very pleased with the performance.