Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

shdesigns to OverrRyde

Premium Member

to OverrRyde

Re: Asus tablet issue with gyro

It is not a gyro, but a MEMS sensor.

You might have broken it or its connection to the main board.

OverrRyde
join:2007-04-10
Waterdown, ON

OverrRyde

said by shdesigns:

It is not a gyro, but a MEMS sensor.

You might have broken it or its connection to the main board.

that's what i was thinking, but would that not cause all axis to be defective or not get a reading from the sensor app instead of just the Y axis not responding?
public
join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA

public

said by OverrRyde:

that's what i was thinking, but would that not cause all axis to be defective or not get a reading from the sensor app instead of just the Y axis not responding?

Each axis probably has a separate accelerometer.
You broke one by exceeding max rating. It does happen.

OverrRyde
join:2007-04-10
Waterdown, ON

OverrRyde

ohh i think i understand

the fall/impact caused the accelerometer to "bust" basicly.

wow, that's shitty! and because the device is unlocked i can't send it to Asus for repair... guess im outta luck! :-S

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

1 edit

aurgathor to shdesigns

to shdesigns
The sensor is probably I2C/SPI, and so it's the sensor that get busted, not the connection.

Not sure what's there internally, but if there's a moving element that could get stuck, the OP could try to unstuck it with an opposite force.

Alternatively, unless it's a BGA, the sensor can be replaced. (at last in theory )
quote:
Each axis probably has a separate accelerometer.
You broke one by exceeding max rating. It does happen.
Since there are quite a few 3D accelerometers on the market, I think that's very unlikely -- it makes no sense to use 3 for cost reasons.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

said by aurgathor:

Since there are quite a few 3D accelerometers on the market, I think that's very unlikely -- it makes no sense to use 3 for cost reasons.

There are 3 distinct/separate sensing elements on the same chip. One for each axis.

It's quite interesting how they are made. The structure looks like interleaving combs, on a microscopic level. The middle set of comb fingers is allowed to move (held by tiny springs) when subjected to a force. The whole thing acts like a capacitor, as such the capacitance changes as the movable element moves when force is applied to it.

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084 to OverrRyde

Premium Member

to OverrRyde
said by OverrRyde:

ohh i think i understand

the fall/impact caused the accelerometer to "bust" basicly.

wow, that's shitty! and because the device is unlocked i can't send it to Asus for repair... guess im outta luck! :-S

Even if it weren't unlocked, I would question sending it back. Don't get me wrong-I have a few ASUS products and have recommended them. But, you have to know what you are getting into. You get a good deal because they cut big time on service. You pay shipping, they make it difficult to get an RMA, they have a reputation to deny repairs because of damage (your case) etc, sometimes your hardware never shows up in their system, etc. They end up fixing it, but it takes a few weeks.

Having seen their RMAs which boldly lists all the reason they will deny fixing your machine (and the obviously disgruntled attitude of the workers) my guess is that you would spend $ shipping it to be told no.