uniqs
share rss forum feed

ebgbjo
Sewing is cheaper than therapy
Premium
join:2007-09-14
USA

Durable LDPE Resin product- Need to seal

I just bought a new cutting mat that is made of durabe LDPE resin and would like to seal it with a clear coat to protect it. I know this isn't really a home improvement question, but was hoping someone who is familiar with clear glosses and paints may be able to suggest something I could use that would not ruin the material and at the same time seal it so I can have it in great shape for longer.

Thank you.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

Can you give a better description of the item you are wanting to seal? What is it used for?

[edit] If this is a mat used for rotary cutting of fabric or other materials then putting a sealer on it would totally defeat the purpose of the mat.

MrFixit1

join:1999-11-26
Madison, WI
reply to ebgbjo

May I request more detail on just what you mean by " new cutting mat" . If possible provide a listing or link to the item .

Having trouble picturing anything that would bond to LDPE without affecting it in some way .
Also not sure why you would want to try and protect the cutting mat . Normally you would use plastic cutting mats to protect another surface . For example , I will use thin plastic cutting mats to protect my good butcher block cutting boards from raw meats .

Edit : Should make it my New Years resolution to update before posting !

ebgbjo
Premium
USA
reply to robbin

Why? The only purpose of the mat for me is for the measurements. I don't want them to get worn off

I am placing the mat over a core door which is being placed on top of 4ea 9 bin organizers to make a craft table.

I was just hoping that there might be some sort of coating that would harden clear that I could place over the mat so I don't damage the markings already on it. I got it for a great deal, but after looking at reviews, looks like some people have had the mat wear the numbers off quickly, crack or material snag in the grooves of cuts soon after buying

»www.joann.com/36x59-cutting-mat/xprd74039/

MrFixit1

join:1999-11-26
Madison, WI

Part of the problem is that Polyethylene plastics ( the PE part of LDPE ) are what you use when you do not want things to " stick " . That is why they can be hard to print to ( numbers wear of quickly etc. )
That limits you to what you can use as a sealer .
Also you need a coating that is " soft " enough for the rotary cutter to bite .

In NO way do I recommend doing this ( do not think the results would be worth it , even if you could make it work ) , but you could try flowing on a coating of Envirotex .
»eti-usa.com/envirotex-lite/
Once again , do not think the results would be worth it at all !

ebgbjo
Premium
USA

Ok, thanks. I guess I will just nix the idea all together and just pray that I have better luck with my mat than some of the reviewers

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

Try calling a decal making shop for some clear plastic they use in decals. Ask them for x feet, and x inches wide. It'll probably cost you $5-10 bucks. It's tough stuff as well.
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:6
reply to ebgbjo

Are you using a rolling cutter or knives, or both?

Bamafan2277

join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN
reply to ebgbjo

I used to do vinyl decals and used one of these mats frequently. Mine would wear out in a year or 2. I would always go to Michaels crafts the week before I wanted a new one and buy something cheap. (They always give a 40-50% off coupon for the next visit) then I would go back the next week and buy a large cutting mat for 1/2 price. The money you spend on sealing one to make it last would probably buy 2-3 more mats at the discount price.