spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Perma

join:2011-12-20

Breaking a contract with Bell?

My mother-in-law is currently a customer with Bell DSL. She wants to transfer to TSI Cable. Her internet is frequently not working or she is getting horrific speeds, speedtests max out at 1mbps(and it's very rare that she will hit the 1mbps speeds). She is supposed to be getting up to 6mbps up. Her usual ping is around 600ms.

She has called Bell numerous times to try and have the issue resolved. They have sent 2 techs out. One has replaced the modem, and the other said it was her phone that was causing the problem? Even though we removed the phone and the problem persists.

We called on Boxing Day and tech support(and I use that term lightly) had her clear her IE browsing data(She uses chrome and this problem appears on more than one device). The technical support rep transferred it up to Tier 2 support who proceeded to say exactly this, word for word "There has been an outage in your area for over a month and we have no idea when it will be fixed".

Is there any way to get out of her contract if she's not receiving the service she is paying for?

Jaxom

join:2012-03-10
East York, ON
I don't recall having a long term contract with Bell when I had DSL. All I had to give was 30 days notice.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
First, verify she really is on a contract.

If she is, you can probably contact CCTS. Despite everything being 'up to', there's still a threshold that the ISP should be meeting, and simply asking for a contract to be null & void without ECFs shouldn't be outside CCTS's mandate.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

Perma

She is on one, unfortunately she was getting horrible speeds before so they told her she needed to upgrade her package to receive better speeds and they could give her a discount on it if she signed a contract.

Perma

reply to Perma
Here's a speedtest that we just ran a few minutes ago, this is what she is normally receiving.

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
reply to Perma
post in the bell direct forum - Tell them you'd like to know if there's a general outage, or if it's a signal issue (they can paste DSL line stats if you ask)

DSL problems are usually a line signal issue, but in your case it could very well be network equipment down the line that is defective/congested.

I've seen my neighborhood have DSL problems for a weekend, could be something like that that's dragged out.

But definitely look into what the cancellation costs are & other pressure tactics like others have mentioned.

kyrio
LURK MORE

join:2010-03-24
East York, ON
reply to Perma
They aren't providing service most of the time? They aren't keeping their end of the contract. It's not just "up to x Mbps" anymore, they are plainly not providing the service you are paying for. The contract is now void. Someone suggested contacting CCTS, and that might be a good route. The other option, and probably the first one you should go with, is calling in and plainly saying that you are going to cancel, that they voided the contract with their actions, that you will not be paying fees because they voided the contract. If they keep going on about any fees, just plainly tell them that you will file a fraud complaint with the PO-LICE if they try to send you an invoice with any balance other than $0.
--
technology, information and media

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON
The problem is that if you call and say you want to cancel without receiving ECFs, they'll just laugh at you.. Unless you're within the 30 day cancellation period for the contract.

You could call and cancel, get the ECFs, and then take it to CCTS to get them to cancel them.. But it may be less hassle & stress to get the CCTS order first.
--

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
join:2001-10-14
Canada
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·TekSavvy DSL

1 recommendation

reply to Perma
In the past, Bell has allowed customers to terminate the service without penalty, even under contract, if they cannot deliver a minimum download speed of 1 meg.

Try the direct forum, they are very helpful at troubleshooting line quality issues such as this.

Perma

reply to Perma
Well called them again today, same thing "it's an outage, no eta" and said we can't cancel without penalty.

Can't wait to figure this out and get her on TSI Cable.

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON
said by Perma:

Well called them again today, same thing "it's an outage, no eta" and said we can't cancel without penalty.

Can't wait to figure this out and get her on TSI Cable.

Thats not an outage.. An outage means you get no service at all... Thats just lack of network investment..
--

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to Perma
said by Perma:

I beg to differ. If there is an ongoing problem, you should bring it to the CCTS and you will get out of this ETF (penalty) since:
a) you don't have what you paid for
b) it's substandard
c) they went twice to fix it and failed
d) now they are telling you it's some sort of outage that they want you to continue paying for
e) This is a "material defect in service"

Rep is just lying to you and will indeed scare you and Bell will bill you due to your ignorance of how their scam works.

The CCTS is free for you to file the complaint. Detail all the above, they will take Bell on for you. And say you just want to leave this "materially defective service" w/o the "monetary threats" from Bell Canada. I suggest you file the complaint. If you don't then either live with what you have knowing you couldn't care less to file a complaint, or pay the fee knowing you got scammed by Bell Canada and were too meek to take them on for free.

In addition to this, teksavvy DSL would be the same since the underlying issue is not fixed. You would have to go cable.

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON
Do file with CCTS..

Make sure to mention how 2 separate Bell reps wouldn't let you out of the contract, despite not even coming close to providing the advertised service, as well as links to those speedtests you've run..
--

Perma

reply to Perma
I just posted in Bell Direct, if I get any response other than "we will cancel it with an ECF", I will file with CCTS.

I really appreciate all your help, thank you!

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
reply to Perma
Where does your mother in law live. The city itself may have plan upgrades. We have some users in the same situation as her.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2
said by TSI Martin:

Where does your mother in law live. The city itself may have plan upgrades. We have some users in the same situation as her.

Yes but it's incomprehensible for an ISP to take the woman's money when they know full well they can't deliver the service.

I do believe there's a word for that. Let me think. Oh yeah. It's FRAUD.

Jaxom

join:2012-03-10
East York, ON
said by elitefx:

I do believe there's a word for that. Let me think. Oh yeah. It's FRAUD.

Unfortunately the business world works with a different set of laws from the 99% of the slaves.

Perma

1 recommendation

reply to Perma
They cancelled it on the day I asked without an ECF. Thanks everyone.