join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to sempergoofy

Re: Convert Trane Cleaneffects to media filter?

said by sempergoofy:

said by clevere1:

Hmm .. Mine also has the seals across the top and the bottom. But when mine closes, the short edges are outside of the box.

So yours has seals on all four segments of the rectangle? Mine sure doesn't.

Also, if it was not clear from my pics, mine is side-mounted to the furnace which sits on the floor. Bottom short-edge of my door is closest to the floor in my case. They can be oriented any way, but that will make "top" and "sides" different for us if yours is oriented such that the long edges are parallel to the floor.

My cleaner is mounted a couple of inches above the floor. So when I pull off the front door, it may have to pivot a bit past that plane parallel to the bottom of the unit.

However in the OP's situation, it may be that because they mounted it so close to the wall, there was not enough room for the door to pivot fully into the locked position. So the installers may have bent or cut something to make it look OK. That's just a theory, of course.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

clevere1
Premium
join:2002-01-06
Vancouver, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to sempergoofy

said by sempergoofy:

said by clevere1:

Hmm .. Mine also has the seals across the top and the bottom. But when mine closes, the short edges are outside of the box.

So yours has seals on all four segments of the rectangle? Mine sure doesn't.

Also, if it was not clear from my pics, mine is side-mounted to the furnace which sits on the floor. Bottom short-edge of my door is closest to the floor in my case. They can be oriented any way, but that will make "top" and "sides" different for us if yours is oriented such that the long edges are parallel to the floor.

No, typo, sorry.
--
Where's th' DAFFY DUCK EXHIBIT??

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to clevere1

It appears that the unit has a pressure drop switch of some sort to turn the electrostatic field on and off along with the air-handler fan. I'm wondering if your air-handler is creating enough suction to turn the thing on. Does the first LED in the cleaning indicator bar-graph blink green while the air-handler is running?

Or perhaps it's supposed to be connected to the thermostat to know when the fan is on, and the installers didn't hook that up.

If the first LED in the cleaning indicator bar-graph doesn't blink green, the collector cells aren't being charged, and won't do diddly squat.

I'm surprised the pre-filter cleaning indicator LED isn't lit, since you weren't sure what a pre-filter was.... All the filters in there should be cleaned several times a year.

clevere1
Premium
Vancouver, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

said by Raphion:

It appears that the unit has a pressure drop switch of some sort to turn the electrostatic field on and off along with the air-handler fan. I'm wondering if your air-handler is creating enough suction to turn the thing on. Does the first LED in the cleaning indicator bar-graph blink green while the air-handler is running?

Or perhaps it's supposed to be connected to the thermostat to know when the fan is on, and the installers didn't hook that up.

If the first LED in the cleaning indicator bar-graph doesn't blink green, the collector cells aren't being charged, and won't do diddly squat.

I'm surprised the pre-filter cleaning indicator LED isn't lit, since you weren't sure what a pre-filter was.... All the filters in there should be cleaned several times a year.

The first LED of the bar is flashing after 10 minutes ... so it's trying to work. The pre-filter must be the first filter in the chain.
--

clevere1
Premium
Vancouver, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to clevere1

Click for full size
Right side of unit. It's closed and as you can see the lip sticks outside of the air cleaner box.
Click for full size
The Seal that runs along the
Click for full size
Closer view of the right side of the unit ..
Click for full size
Here's the left side that is all the way against the wall. Don't let the tape fool you, it's all bunched up, and doesn't seal
Here are some more photos to help clear some things up. Sorry about the blurry ones, different camera.

Mine is mounted horizontally. On the left side the cover is all the way against the wall. In the photo it looks like there is some duct tape covering up the gap. The tape is doing nothing, it bunches up and doesn't create a seal.

I have the black rubber seal on the "long" sides of my unit as others have shown.

On the right side of the unit you can see that the cover sticks outside of the housing and doesn't go in as shown by sempergoofy See Profile.

Front the first day this was installed the dealer (who is no longer in business 6 months after it was installed) had put the duct tape around the edges. I didn't think it was a big deal.... but the house has always been more "dusty" since the install.

My thought is that maybe they installed an older unit, but I'm not sure. I was also thinking that maybe I should get some rubber weather stripping on the inside of the door on the short sides to create a seal... since moving the whole enclosure would be a pain in the ass (unless that is my only choice).
--

clevere1
Premium
Vancouver, WA
reply to sempergoofy

Sorry, no. Mine only has seals where yours does.
--

Raphion

Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to clevere1

Yes, the pre-filter is the first one, it's a course conventional filter to catch the "big" stuff, leaving only the finer particles for the electrostatic section.

Does the amount of dirt that washes out of the filter seem reasonable? If there's not a lot of dirt in it after a month or so runtime, I'd still be wondering if it's actually charging.

Then again, the last electrostatic filter thing I had (a single room model) didn't really seem to do much. The collector plates would get a thin layer of dust on them right away, then basically nothing else would collect on them till washing it again. Then one day, the thing managed to arc across the plastic parts of the collector cell, filling the room with smoke pretty spectacularly, and that concluded my experience with electrostatic filters... lol

clevere1
Premium
Vancouver, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

It seems ... somewhat dirty (the filter with the honey cones on it) when washed .. the pre-filter is working (everything gets cleaned once every 20 days). The problem is that I can see that dust is by-passing the filter ... it was said previous in this thread that maybe there was an air leak that was allowing dust to get past the filter ... and it seems there is. I spent the better part of last night trying to clean as much dust as I could from inside the furnace ... fun times.
--

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to clevere1

A bit OT, but is there a significant difference in using an electrostatic filter vs a pleated filter?

I've been using Filtrete's 'Elite Allergen 2200' filter with my furnace, and it seems to do a great job. I have a 16x25x1 opening in the plenum attached to the furnace and it just sits in there. Not a very tight fit, so after reading this thread, I think I'm going to attach two overlapping rubber strips to help seal around the filter edge.

I'm quite impressed at the lack of dust in the house to be honest. Just wondering how much better things would be with an electrostatic filter, if at all?

Raphion

Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

If you want to upgrade from the Filtrete, I would go with a thick media filter personally (like a 5 inch). Electrostatics seem too hit or miss, too expensive, too much to go wrong with them. Media is just tiny holes that admit air, not dirt, simple, nearly foolproof.

Filtretes are often frowned on by professionals btw, because they are high resistance, reducing the system's airflow rate, thereby reducing efficiency. A thick media filter has much more surface area, thus presenting lower resistance.

The filter slot in an airhandler was never designed to hold a filter that really cleans the air, it's sized only for a filter that catches lint, hair, and other large things that would otherwise get stuck in the evaporator coil or heat exchanger.

clevere1
Premium
Vancouver, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

1 edit
reply to clevere1

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
So, I had to take a trip to the store with my wife so I picked up some incense and some foam weather stripping...

I put some weather stripping on the short sides of my enclosure. Burned some incense and moved it around the enclosure. It's not sucking in air anymore .. woot! But! I did find that there is an air leak (sucking of the air) on the top part of the line now ... sigh .. this smells of a bad install job.

I wonder how much it would cost to get someone to redo it ... I will see if some duct tape on the inside of the inlet (dunno what it is called where the system sucks in the air from the house and then pushes it back through the system) and see if that helps.

Nope, no change in that other air leak ... I even resealed all the seams. I must be missing something. It's late, I will try again tomorrow. I've added some photos of the weather stripping I added to the filter door.

--

sempergoofy
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA

Nice diagnostics. I may do the same (add foam stripping) to the short edges on my door one day.
--
nohup rm -fr /&