join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to SysOp

Re: SSD in an older XP Home System???

said by SysOp:

3) turn off page file, delete page file

said by koitsu:

3. Some registry tweaks to help with overall performance. Be aware most advice on web is crap, as in flat out wrong -- tips like "disable your pagefile!" and other nonsense.

I can provide references/validation for why keeping your pagefile enabled is borderline mandatory. It's fine to move it to another disk if you want (though there's no real point), but disabling it entirely is a big no-no.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

SysOp

join:2001-04-18
Douglasville, GA
Reviews:
·MetroPCS

4 edits

No thanks, I respectfully disagree. I have enough ram, and it's not mandatory. Page file was needed back with Windows 95, but with today's modern systems full of ram, it's a thing of the past.

Oh, and I like the performance of NOT having a page file. Disabling it is a big performance yes-yes.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

Are you aware that Windows uses the pagefile for offloading unused portions of memory within drivers? Some software even makes the assumption that the pagefile is enabled, including some Microsoft software (perfmon comes to mind). References:

»lifehacker.com/5426041/understan···sable-it
»www.tweakhound.com/2011/10/10/th···out-one/
»superuser.com/questions/41439/an···l-paging
»technicallyeasy.net/2011/07/disa···be-done/
»www.howtogeek.com/126430/htg-exp···able-it/

There is irony in the "page file was needed back with Windows 95" statement, as it implies that because today's Windows OS is newer (i.e. Vista/7/8) that somehow there's no need for the pagefile. Surprise: the pagefile is used for lots of other things than just "out of memory" situations, solely as a result of technological evolution that's occurred since Windows 95.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

In the past I tried to disable pagefile several times on various Windoze machines with 'insane' amounts of RAM (i.e. Win98 with 0.5 or 1 Gig, Win2k with 3 or 4 Gig) and while the systems didn't crash immediately, in general they were much less stable compared to their pagefile enabled states.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

SysOp

Douglasville, GA
Reviews:
·MetroPCS
reply to koitsu

OMG you are right. The fear of instability is a reason not to even try this. Ignore that windows 7 is stable with or with out a page file.

Kids, do not try this at home. You could crash your system so bad it could blow up and catch your house on fire, killing everyone on earth.

SysOp

Douglasville, GA
reply to aurgathor

Win98/Win2k/WinXP are much less stable than Win7 regardless.

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
reply to koitsu

said by koitsu:

I can provide references/validation for why keeping your pagefile enabled is borderline mandatory. It's fine to move it to another disk if you want (though there's no real point), but disabling it entirely is a big no-no.

Kind of a definitive statement with outdated references. Most of the references are on 4-8GB boxes with low commits (unless bench testing to prove/disprove). I think the debate is still out there on >12GB boxes and even reaching the 11GB commit. I've reached a 12/16GB commit but I was pounding the box on CS5 and about 10 separate windows - multi-monitor for days. That was EXTREME to meet a deadline (another story). I've been no pagefile for years (4) without a hiccup and I'd challenge anyone to reach and maintain the commit levels I've generated (IMHE - xperienc).

I'm not convinced the latest/greatest write-limit/wear leveling wizardness on SSD has been solved. 20GB/day seems to be the golden write ticket for setting a longevity point. That's not a point I'd want to place a pagefile on. I'd recommend keeping the Windows managed pagefile but taking it OFF the SSD (20GB/day ... pshaw) if you do one at all.
--
That's "MISTER" Kafir to you.