join:2003-12-31
ARRIS BGW210-700

techguyga

Premium Member

Random Pixelation

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I am experiencing some very random pixelation. We mostly watch HD channels, so not sure if the same is happening on both HD and SD channels. There is no rhyme or reason to when we see pixelation, or what channel it is on.

I've posted my UVR shots here...note that I reset the counters only a couple of minutes before taking new shots. The corrected blocks are very high, and climbing fast. Is this indicative of inside or outside problems?

Thanks!

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

The high error rate and FEC rate normally indicate an outside problem. Has your error rate than that high previously or did it just start?

techguyga
Premium Member
ARRIS BGW210-700

techguyga

Premium Member

It's just started within the last couple of weeks. The only thing that I can think of that has happened on the outside (we are very rural and not much turnover with service that would require work at the crossbox) was the county road crew scraping and leveling the right-of-way on our road. I don't think any of the wiring would be that shallow, but I guess it's possible.

If you think it's on the outside, I'll give it a couple more days to rebuild some stats in UVR and then call AT&T.
techguyga

techguyga

Premium Member

Any more opinions before I contact support?

Thanks all.
techguyga

techguyga

Premium Member

One more note...it's been almost exactly 14 hours since I've reset my stats. Corrected blocks is now showing 9,368,638. I still have no uncorrected blocks.

Thanks again.
cissjbk
join:2010-11-17
West Columbia, SC

cissjbk to techguyga

to techguyga
You need to contact support; report the pixelation and the the high FEC rate.
ram1220
join:2009-07-03
Allen, TX

ram1220 to techguyga

to techguyga
I'm seeing it also. Just started here about 3 days ago. I only watch HD channels. Seems worse on Nat Geo HD and Nat Geo Wild HD. But I'm seeing it on all HD channels. Just when I thought Uverse HD was getting better. Hahahahahaha.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker to techguyga

Premium Member

to techguyga
Can you post a shot of the "Coax/HPNA"

techguyga
Premium Member
ARRIS BGW210-700

techguyga

Premium Member

I don't use Coax/HPNA...I'm Ethernet throughout.

As an update, I used the TS&R tool last night with the intent of calling AT&T afterwards to report the problem...I just wanted to make sure I had walked through the steps they would have me do before I called. The TS&R tool had me restart the modem, and since it's come back up, the high FEC rate has gone down drastically. Since the restart last night, I've had 16,653 uncorrected blocks in the last 11 hours.
techguyga

techguyga

Premium Member

Well, broke down yesterday and did a support chat with AT&T. They tested and said that they were seeing line errors and were dispatching a technician. The appointment was supposed to be from 4-8pm last night.

8:15pm rolled around and no tech. Called support and they told me that "our automated system did not pick up the ticket, so it wasn't assigned to a tech". Great. So they rescheduled between 12-4pm today. It's now 2:30pm and no call yet, so fingers crossed they show up.
techguyga

techguyga

Premium Member

Tech showed up at 4 on the nose. He started running tests from the NID as soon as he got there. I can't remember which one he was running (I think it was SELT), but it was about the 4th test, and is a 2-part test. The port on the VRAD locked up at that one...so everything went down.

He called in and got a helper ticket to have my port changed (which he thought was bad from the start) and said that I'd basically be without service until the next day when someone could come reset the card. Great. Well, miraculously, my service came back on about 30 minutes later, so that was good.

The next morning rolled along and another tech showed up and said that the card had been reset at about 4am, because it takes all customers down. He also said that he'd swapped my port. He then began to explain to me that I would always see pixelation because I was too far from the VRAD, and asked me if I wanted to downgrade my internet plan. Really?

Anyhow, still showing some FEC, but nowhere near as bad as it was. Fingers crossed that the issue may be resolved for a while.

On a side note, I did find out that I'm on an "F" card. The tech said that they should be coming through soon to change over to a "K" card that would increase the max distance from the VRAD for service, and also enable the speed increases that are supposed to be coming this year. He told me the new speeds were supposed to be available on March 15.