Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Problems with twitch.tv

When I try to watch streams on twitch.tv, I get lots of issues with the stream cutting out (as if it can't download the video fast enough). It frequently pauses/freezes. Other people watching the streams report not having it as bad.

I don't seem to have any packetloss, speed tests look good.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

I've experienced similiar issues while streaming from certain links/servers, as well. Often this is an off and on issue with the stream's provider's own routing. Some days those exact stream link work just fine, other days not so much its hit and miss.

None of it is on your side of the equation, for the most part. I'd almost think its bottle necking somewheres between the streams originator and their transport peering, not neccessessarily ours (TSI & peers).

Sometimes I do wonder though, if theres some ammount of either throttling or DPI practices that might be bogging things down possibly at one of the other internet exchange junctions similar to our TORIX that results in these types of slowdowns.

Again, I'm not an internet engineer so all of the above is as you've no doubt guessed, pure conjecture on my part.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

coming from Rogers, i noticed twitch has been brutal and mostly at peak time (surprise surprise). it's also pretty easy to tell if the problems are with the streamer instead of twitch by asking in the chat if others are having problems and it's always "no".
singsonn
join:2009-08-12
Montreal, QC

singsonn to Guspaz

to Guspaz
I'm having the same problem with this site today, and I seem to be the only viewer to report having this problem. Is there anything that Teksavvy can actually do? It's really a pain to "watch" streamers, I gave up for today...

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

jmck

i'm sure there's things TSI could do, but the rate at which they are troubleshooting and 'fixing' the youtube issue which is quite a bit more popular than twitch leads me to believe they won't.
Aens
join:2012-11-09

Aens to Guspaz

to Guspaz
I have noticed the exact same problem with twitch on teksavvy cable lately. I have tested this while tethered on my phone (3G Mobilicity) and have had none of the same problems. I don't have the youtube problems that other users describe. I am on the Scarlett POI and can reach cap speeds when downloading no matter what time of day it is.
Orbious
join:2009-02-05

Orbious to Guspaz

to Guspaz
Been like this all day for me, even at 360p all streams I try just stutter and freeze up.

Very frustrating! Bad enough with youtube where I can at least pause and wait for it to load a while, but watching a live stream that's of course not possible.

Certainly not happy with it.

Shienryu1
@teksavvy.com

Shienryu1 to Guspaz

Anon

to Guspaz
I've been getting these issues as well, suddenly today it lags and I've been getting issues playing games as well.

Perma
join:2011-12-20

1 edit

Perma to Guspaz

to Guspaz
I have constant lag on twitch as well, while my neighbour with Bell has none

Robleh
join:2009-07-14
canada

Robleh to Guspaz

to Guspaz
Same issue on cable also teksavvy whyy... 360p videos
suddenfs
join:2012-08-15

1 edit

suddenfs to Guspaz

to Guspaz
Yeah I'm having the same problem. Twitch has been lagging all day for me and no one else on the stream was. It seems like an only Teksavvy issue.

I'm also getting ping spikes on online gaming servers. It started happening today.

Since multiple people are having this problem I think its on Teksavvy's end or has to do with Canada's connection to the US servers.

Edit: Im on DSL though. Not Cable as most people on this thread seem to be.

Shienryu1
@teksavvy.com

Shienryu1 to Shienryu1

Anon

to Shienryu1
TwitchTV was working for a bit this morning but now it has gotten laggy again, anyone else getting the issue still?

Anaron
join:2005-01-28
North York, ON

Anaron to Guspaz

to Guspaz
I have the same issue too. My speeds are fine and I don't have any issues with Ustream (a site similar to TwitchTV) or YouTube.

Perma

Perma

Same here, but twitch is lagging

DohzRz
@teksavvy.com

DohzRz to Guspaz

Anon

to Guspaz
Hamilton here. DSL16

Used to work fine. However, since around 2 or 3 days ago, twitch is unwatchable for me, whether I use 1080p or 360p it keeps freezing for 1 or 2 seconds regularly. And like others, I seem to be the only person with this issue. Teksavvy needs to contact twitch and have this sorted out.
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to Guspaz

to Guspaz
don't stream go pirate it and download
thats what the bandwidth issues are about someone is trying to set people up
suddenfs

suddenfs

Twitch.tv doesn't stream pirated content. Please don't post just to troll.

DohzRz
@teksavvy.com

DohzRz to Guspaz

Anon

to Guspaz
How come no from TSI has commented on this yet?
Obviously a lot of people are having issues with this.
Orbious
join:2009-02-05

Orbious to Shienryu1

to Shienryu1
Mine also started was working fine again this morning up until around 12pm, then it went back to the freezing.

Looking at my speeds, I'm getting as low as 10-12KB/s while trying to watch the stream.

Perma

1 edit

Perma to funny0

to funny0
quote:
don't stream go pirate it and download
thats what the bandwidth issues are about someone is trying to set people up
You have no idea what twitch.tv is do you? I watch people live stream themselves playing league of legends.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Twitch.tv is an eSports broadcasting site... It has nothing to do with piracy... The developers of Natural-Selection 2 use it to stream content to their customers...
Shienryu1
join:2013-01-08

Shienryu1 to Guspaz

to Guspaz
Don't know why either but I lag heavily when connecting to a USE server and I am perfectly fine on USW in Ontario.
suddenfs

suddenfs

Yep I have the same problem. Some US East servers have around 100-120 ping and random packet drops. Don't know why. I think it's related because it started happening the same time Twitch started lagging for me.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

jmck

after switching to Start today the difference is night and day for twitch.tv performance.

Shada tek
@teksavvy.com

Shada tek to Guspaz

Anon

to Guspaz
OMG It has been driving me nuts all weekend, cannot get a single Dota 2 Stream to not stutter no matter what resolution yet my speed is fine.

Just when Singsing can finally stream again I cannot watch grrrr.

I am on DSL 6 meg never had a problem before
Lotgh
join:2013-02-03
Dundas, ON

Lotgh

I'm having the same problem, I usually watch at 720p+ just fine, and now i'm getting lag at anything over 240. Seems like it's throttled at like 30-70Kb/s.

If i use my VPN with a west coast US exit I can watch at like 480p-720p for the most part.

Just ran Trace Route (no vpn), seems to be failing at peer1.net... Dunno if that helps

C:\>tracert 199.9.252.187

Tracing route to video63.justin.tv [199.9.252.187]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 31 ms 13 ms 14 ms lo-100.lns02.tor.packetflow.ca [206.248.154.122]
3 13 ms 15 ms 14 ms 2110.ae0.bdr01.tor.packetflow.ca [69.196.136.34]
4 45 ms 15 ms 15 ms peer1.bdr02.tor.packetflow.ca [64.34.236.121]
5 30 ms 46 ms 30 ms 10ge.xe-0-3-0.nyc-telx-dis-1.peer1.net [216.187.114.194]
6 45 ms 29 ms 47 ms 10ge.xe-3-2-0.wdc-sp225-sbcor-2.peer1.net [216.187.115.222]
7 46 ms 46 ms 45 ms 1ge-gi2-10.la-600w-cor-2.peer1.net [216.187.88.205]
8 60 ms 108 ms 30 ms 10ge.xe-1-3-0.wdc-eqx-dis-1.peer1.net [216.187.115.125]
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.
Aens
join:2012-11-09

Aens to Guspaz

to Guspaz
Oh man, its getting even worse now. Not even getting the 2 seconds every 10 anymore.
chuck02
join:2012-04-05

chuck02 to Guspaz

to Guspaz
I'm also having issues with Twitch.

My overall connection speed is ok.

Other twitch users don't seem to be experiencing lag.

Jioklo
join:2003-09-09
Toronto, ON

Jioklo to Guspaz

to Guspaz
Same problem. Ugh

chinesedevil
join:2010-08-03
Scarborough, ON

chinesedevil to Guspaz

to Guspaz
twitch is garbage for me too