Spike5
Premium Member
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON

Spike5 to morisato

Premium Member

to morisato

Re: New Computer Build Looking for Fan suggestions

The new Corsair chassis like the one I have now allows you to mount an H80/H100 or whatnot to the roof of the chassis, this is where you blow the air straight out the top and is the most suited configuration for these all-in-1 watercooling devices.

@DKS, when you are used to silent computing and built many custom liquid cooled computers that are barely audible, *any* fan noise that you aren't used to will drive you insane. I recognize tolerance to fan noise is entirely a personal affair however. Most people feel the fans aren't so loud either, but they certainly aren't silent.

There is something to be said about achieving pure silence on a system with triple SLI and a top-end CPU while pumping out the framerates in a game. I did that once, got bored of it, now I stick to the all-in-1 cooling devices as they're far easier to deal with.

Like most cool things, the novelty tends to wear off, and you think more practical.
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

For me i am not aiming at 100% silence but the Stock fans with my case are Out doing average music volume generally they are Somewhat Sucky for sound as the case is On top of my desk and like 2 feet from my ears. P:)

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Spike5

to Spike5
said by Spike5:

@DKS, when you are used to silent computing and built many custom liquid cooled computers that are barely audible, *any* fan noise that you aren't used to will drive you insane. I recognize tolerance to fan noise is entirely a personal affair however. Most people feel the fans aren't so loud either, but they certainly aren't silent.

The loudest sound in my current computer is the GTX 680. Even spooled up to 2000 RRM under load it is quiet. At idle, I can hear the clock ticking on the other side of the room. Pure silence? No. Quiet? Yes.

Spike5
Premium Member
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON

4 edits

Spike5

Premium Member

said by DKS:

said by Spike5:

The loudest sound in my current computer is the GTX 680. Even spooled up to 2000 RRM under load it is quiet. At idle, I can hear the clock ticking on the other side of the room. Pure silence? No. Quiet? Yes.

Reference GTX 680's are hardly quiet. The cage fans have an annoying distinct hiss when spooled up. 2000rpm may be quiet for a reference but in my experience no GTX 680 even runs that slow if you truly load it up with a lot of AA/AF in a game like Metro 2033 @ 2560x1600.

Now if you are talking about the triple slot custom cooler versions (dual standard axial fans and huge heatsinks) of the GTX 680 from ASUS, Zotac and the like, yes indeed those are quiet, I have one of those.

EDIT: Quiet cooler 680's are in 2 slot configs too, just mine is 3. Reference models only have a single cage fan on the end of the card.

I could care less about idle noise, thats extremely easy to achieve silence. The opposite end however is not.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by Spike5:

Reference GTX 680's are hardly quiet. The cage fans have an annoying distinct hiss when spooled up.

I don't find that to be true, at all. Nothing annoying about it. And it is quiet.

2000rpm may be quiet for a reference but in my experience no GTX 680 even runs that slow if you truly load it up with a lot of AA/AF in a game like Metro 2033 @ 2560x1600.

I don't play that game, nor do I run my monitors at that resolution.

Now if you are talking about the triple slot custom cooler versions (dual standard axial fans and huge heatsinks) of the GTX 680 from ASUS, Zotac and the like, yes indeed those are quiet, I have one of those.

Mine is a vanilla EVGA GTX 680.