how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fonzbear2000
Premium
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN

Will 256 bit encryption block FISA from seeing what we do?

»www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/3···690.html

Will the 256 bit encryption that newsgroups use block FISA from seeing what we do on them?
--
»A pretty good alernative to bit torrent and newsgroups

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL
I don't know a definite answer, but I wouldn't put money on it. Very long read but I'd suggest taking the time to do so. A bit butchered from the article but relevant to your question.

»www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/0···ter/all/

There is still one technology preventing untrammeled government access to private digital data: strong encryption. ... Most experts say that a so-called brute-force computer attack on the algorithm[AES]—trying one combination after another to unlock the encryption—would likely take longer than the age of the universe. For a 128-bit cipher, the number of trial-and-error attempts would be 340 undecillion (10 ^36 ). ...

Meanwhile, over in Building 5300, the NSA succeeded in building an even faster supercomputer. “They made a big breakthrough,” says another former senior intelligence official, who helped oversee the program. The NSA’s machine was likely similar to the unclassified Jaguar, but it was much faster out of the gate, modified specifically for cryptanalysis and targeted against one or more specific algorithms, like the AES. In other words, they were moving from the research and development phase to actually attacking extremely difficult encryption systems. The code-breaking effort was up and running.

The breakthrough was enormous, says the former official, and soon afterward the agency pulled the shade down tight on the project, even within the intelligence community and Congress. “Only the chairman and vice chairman and the two staff directors of each intelligence committee were told about it,” he says. The reason? “They were thinking that this computing breakthrough was going to give them the ability to crack current public encryption.”

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
That's some stuff to worry about when it comes the NSA but does the NSA deal with copyright infringement? I haven't heard of any of those cases they have handled so I'm not sure if they really do or not.

Though it does sound like the years are going to be ticking away before the other agencies are able to afford to use this type of equipment.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

sandman_1

join:2011-04-23
reply to fonzbear2000
At the rate that they are eroding our liberties here lately, I wouldn't doubt that at some time in the near future they would try to get ahold of that data to...you know...protect us from those terrorists and bad guys.

At any rate, the NSP know what you are downloading off their servers. If the government wanted to find out what you were doing, they could just go straight to the NSP and find out.