Search similar:

uniqs
billydunwood
join:2008-04-23
united state

1 edit

billydunwood

Replacing CPU in Compaq Laptop, which one? UPDATE

I sold a Compaq CQ62-225NR laptop to a friend a year ago, and it is now broken. He left it on, 2 hours later he came back and found it off. When he powers it on, the caps lock continuously blinks 1 at a time, and nothing on the display. I called HP, its out of warranty, but he said its 99% the CPU. So, I found the same cpu it originally came with(Athlon II P320) on Ebay, and was wondering if it is compatible with the laptop? If it is not, does anyone know of any of the same version cpu available on ebay? Thanks, and I do know how to replace the cpu.
This is the link to the one I found on ebay, is it compatible? »www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Ath ··· 7923dda8
UPDATE: I pulled apart the laptop, removed the CPU which looked fine, and put new Antec thermal grease on. The GPU looked fine as well. Took some dust out of the fan, and motherboard also looked fine. Put everything back together, and it still has same issue. I think its the motherboard, and its not worth it.
Chrno
join:2003-12-11

Chrno

Re: Replacing CPU in Compaq Laptop, which one?

I have seen a lot of failures with this series. The blink code for the caplock does indicate "Check CPU", but the fault ain't the CPU. It's 99% the mainboard.

For 11 dollars... I guess you can replacing the CPU a try.
billydunwood
join:2008-04-23
united state

billydunwood

said by Chrno:

I have seen a lot of failures with this series. The blink code for the caplock does indicate "Check CPU", but the fault ain't the CPU. It's 99% the mainboard.

For 11 dollars... I guess you can replacing the CPU a try.

Thanks. I just also read that the fault could be the gpu, as HP designed 1 heatsink for the CPU/GPU, as opposed to 1 for each. Im going to open it and check them before I do anything. If its the motherboard, there is no sense in replacing that.